United Kingdom 2023: Mae Muller - I Wrote a Song

How will it do?

• Total voters
You do realise that precisely none of those factors are a pre-requisite to Eurovision success? When was the last time a benign made for Capital radio style hit won?

‘Snap’ was one of the biggest hits of the year, albeit after the contest - it came 20th.

Why are we worried about how it will do at Eurovision when we haven’t heard the full song or seen her perform it yet?

I’m pretty sure before anyone had seen Sam perform last year, y’all had written him off too

God, this is ridiculous. None of you have ANY idea if Rina was part of it, we haven’t even heard the final song and why are we talking about misreading the mood when we’re all about TWENTY YEARS TOO OLD to know what the mood actually is?!

Why are we worried about how it will do at Eurovision when we haven’t heard the full song or seen her perform it yet?

I’m pretty sure before anyone had seen Sam perform last year, y’all had written him off too
You might want to go back and review the responses to Sam’s announcement. There’s was very little doubt it was set fair for at least a massive jury vote.

You can fuck back off. It's not that bloody impressive.

No one is saying it’s impressive. But there was a substantial Moopy contingent there, what were you all doing, other than avoiding each other?!

God, this is ridiculous. None of you have ANY idea if Rina was part of it, we haven’t even heard the final song and why are we talking about misreading the mood when we’re all about TWENTY YEARS TOO OLD to know what the mood actually is?!
I’d like to hear from @Soldi then

Just reviewing my initial responses to Sam Ryder

The way this song HITS the EXACT MIDDLE of the ROAD :disco:

I do enjoy Michael and Vor’s Christmas newsletter, this year’s fisting tips were both amusing and informative.

He’d inevitably corner you in the kitchen when you’re looking for gin and then you’d be stuck for 25 minutes until you inevitably fake a PROLAPSE.

The tarot is making FLUSHING NOISES.

You might want to go back and review the responses to Sam’s announcement. There’s was very little doubt it was set fair for at least a massive jury vote.

People were underwhelmed, or so that’s what I thought when reading the comments.

This absolutely has potential to win votes from televoters (but yes they are a riskier strategy and much more of an unknown/ difficult to predict) but we can’t just send jury fodder for the rest of our lives.

Last edited:
People were underwhelmed, or so that’s what I thought.

This absolutely has potential to win votes from televoters (but yes they are a riskier strategy and much more of an unknown/ difficult to predict) but we can’t just send jury fodder for the rest of our lives.
Sam also came 5th on the televote

:MerylPerplexed:

Sam also came 5th on the televote

:MerylPerplexed:

Yes, but no one predicted that when you first heard the song - so to completely write a song off based on some clips is a bit… silly?

Pleased we're sending this. Could go the way of Brooke, sure, but also isn't even remotely incompatible of fitting with an interesting and memorable staging concept that could do well - particularly because quite a lot of people are going to be going into it with quite low expectations of her and the song. It has the ingredients there for a great package.

Ultimately I'm just so glad we can send stuff like this now. It's fun, it's breezy, and it's something I'm actually looking forward to the performance for rather than dreading - or not even caring - like I did for so many years.

Reactions: GNL
Yes, but no one predicted that when you first heard the song - so to completely write a song off based on some clips is a bit… silly?
Where are you getting this from? Plenty of us thought it was going to do well :D

Maybe we are being silly but (1) it’s the Eurovision form (what are you expecting? reason?) and (2) you’re somewhat projecting what you thought of Sam onto the rest of us.

I think my biggest problem with this Mae whoeverthefucksheis choice is nothing to do with the song (haven’t properly listened) but because the powers that be have just completely misread the mood. Why wouldn’t you give the people what they want when it’s clear what people are saying?
Because I'm not being funny, but why on EARTH would you make pleasing 2000 histrionic freaks online a priority when even if you do exactly what most of them would have asked for beforehand - 'give me a pop banger' - half of them will react like it's Electro Velvet if it isn't one artist specifically they all got their hopes up for? :D

I think where I'm at now is that I wish it was Rina, but would rather this than Birdy. We don't need to do a the Netherlands and let success turn us into the country that sends boring jury-safe MOR year in, year out.

As calculated risks go, it could have been much worse.

The worst part is that Rina is now clearly locked in as our new Fleur East, and we're going to go through this exact same thing every year until she accepts a slot on Strictly Come Dancing circa 2029.

This is the showiest Muller performance a quick look on YouTube brings up:

Well she's no Sam Ryder, and could probably do with a little more focus but should think she will be good enough live.

I do really like Better Days.

I think where I'm at now is that I wish it was Rina, but would rather this than Birdy. We don't need to do a the Netherlands and let success turn us into the country that sends boring jury-safe MOR year in, year out.

As calculated risks go, it could have been much worse.

The worst part is that Rina is now clearly locked in as our new Fleur East, and we're going to go through this exact same thing every year until she accepts a slot on Strictly Come Dancing circa 2029.
I think Rina will probably be more Dancing On Ice than Strictly.

This is the showiest Muller performance a quick look on YouTube brings up:

Well she's no Sam Ryder, and could probably do with a little more focus but should think she will be good enough live.

I do really like Better Days.

Was we she picked for Eurovision because she has the English diction of an early 2010s Moldovan entry?

How look the trumpets, Mae? Will they be styrofoam and forming the centrepiece of your staging?

Space Man is still a relatively average song elevated massively with a stonking performance.
Which, really, is what I think a lot of people need to be keeping in mind here in terms of how important the performance is to how good this actually is as an entry.

Ok....I've calmed down. :D

It's catchy, fun, sounds a cut above the vast majority of what we've sent in the last decade(I KNOW that's not saying much) and by the looks of it she has a pretty solid presence already(streaming, TikTok numbers) and is good(if not amazing live.

But it just feels like a huge comedown after coming 2nd last year, which I think had a double edged sword aspect.

It's also EXACTLY the type of entry that could do badly simply by not being the best or the worst and just being forgotten about it...which means us being back to square 1 in 2024 with all the good work undone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom