William Baker On Kylie

Joseph

🚬
Pronouns
He/Him/His
IMG_7203.jpeg
William Baker talks about working with Kylie Minogue.

"I think Kylie and I had gone as far as we could at that point. We had begun to repeat ourselves, and some things felt a bit stale or uninspired. Time just took its course. Learning new things had always been important to me, like directing a show or photography or creating a brand, just something new. When the learning stopped, it became more like a job, and certain parts of that job became less and less rewarding, and we were friends first and foremost; we are still friends.

When I stopped working with Kylie, I felt like 25 years had just passed. I’d look back, and half my life felt a bit of a blur. I only thought about the passing of time afterwards because the work was constant and all-consuming. It was my life; I didn’t do anything else. I also worked with many other artists simultaneously, but it was mainly focused around Kylie. That’s when I realised I’d lost touch with many friends. I didn’t have much of a life outside that work. It was a fantastic time, but I’d lost touch with real-life things. "

There is a slightly longer excerpt from the interview which delves into how his life drastically changed when he stopped working for/with her which implies that for a while the opportunities dried up.

One thing he neglects to mention is that he was fired.

I think they fell out because of behind the scenes poltics - something to do with finances. It was covered in a thread on SayHey - but I don’t care enough to search for it now.

They have since reconciled but the Golden Tour had a few cheeky references/swipes at him.

If I recall, he used some creatives from the Kylie team on non-Kylie related projects and neglected to recompense them for their work or something to that effect.

I think one of the people is Kylie’s lighting designer/stage director.

I recall rumors of him taking some of her staff to do other things behind her back but I can’t remember the details anymore.

Also I think he went AWOL for meetings on the Kiss Me Once tour and Christmas shows but to his credit he does at least acknowledge in the interview that he hated working on the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom