2021 Mayoral and Local Elections

There are plenty of suburbs where Labour could do a lot better if they weren't having their votes siphoned off by the Greens and the Lib Dems.

They just need a coherent point of view and a leader who can communicate that without also being a complete disaster.

I hate to repeat it, but electoral pact is the best route of defence and attack they have. That said disaffected Tories are probably likely to go Green or Lib Dem almost as much as disaffected Labour.

Coronavirus really should have sorted this.

But still, surely they just can’t count on Wales in a general election? I mean Blyth Valley and then Hartlepool going to the tories doesn’t spell GOOD NEWS for the left in the north east.

Equally I think a LOT of left winged voters, such as myself, are gravitating towards different parties, mainly the Greens. So as a result Labour are losing seats from BOTH sides.
If they want to win people back they need to use places like Wales as a jumping off point to inform policy. They need to put the graft in with the rest of the country rather than waste another year pandering to some racist lichen in the North East.

The only person to vote for him, was likely himself.

0_Colonel-Cramps-1.jpg

I would broadly assume than not all 13 Monster Raving Loony candidates lived in that council ward. So maybe he did get a vote from a randomer.

I would broadly assume than not all 13 Monster Raving Loony candidates lived in that council ward. So maybe he did get a vote from a randomer.
Maybe there's a cluster of loonies in Chessington..

Well, I was quite excited that my local county council division turned out to be one of those lesser spotted beasts - a Lab gain from Con. Think it's the first time I've successfully elected a winning candidate in YEARS. Isn't democracy grand :eyes:

Aside from that... pretty depressing fare. Why do I get the feeling Starmer's going to learn precisely the WRONG lessons from this?

I genuinely think this Angela Rayner fiasco might be even more damaging to him than losing all those seats. What an UTTER clusterfuck of ineptitude. :(

Well, I was quite excited that my local county council division turned out to be one of those lesser spotted beasts - a Lab gain from Con. Think it's the first time I've successfully elected a winning candidate in YEARS. Isn't democracy grand :eyes:

Aside from that... pretty depressing fare. Why do I get the feeling Starmer's going to learn precisely the WRONG lessons from this?
Oh hello!

*crosses TORY SLEAZE off list of talking points*

Unless something DRASTIC happens in the next couple of years, I can't see Boris losing to anyone at the next election. Starmer is fucking useless, but at this point i'd rather not risk a better alternative.

The other thing to note is that ruling parties did extremely well in this election (SNP in Scotland, Tories in England, Labour in Wales) because of the platforms that covid has given them. Saying "Labour should learn from Wales" is reading the results incorrectly. They've done nothing but have a leader appear on telly. You can't emulate that.

I guess 'we're Tories but we're not quite ready to admit it to ourselves' isn't as much of a demographic in the North, it's true.
No in the North clearly being a proud Tory is the way things are going !

• Sad
Reactions: VoR
Unless something DRASTIC happens in the next couple of years, I can't see Boris losing to anyone at the next election. Starmer is fucking useless, but at this point i'd rather not risk a better alternative.

The other thing to note is that ruling parties did extremely well in this election (SNP in Scotland, Tories in England, Labour in Wales) because of the platforms that covid has given them. Saying "Labour should learn from Wales" is reading the results incorrectly. They've done nothing but have a leader appear on telly. You can't emulate that.
Exactly most people pay no attention to politics so rely on the propoganda of covid briefings

Sorry, that was quite catty RE the Lib Dems. I was drunk. Any party* that can keep Tories out, anywhere, is fine by me. :basil:

*except the ones that are even worse, obviously.

Sorry, that was quite catty RE the Lib Dems. I was drunk. Any party* that can keep Tories out, anywhere, is fine by me. :basil:

*except the ones that are even worse, obviously.
Oh no, don't get in the way of your own CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

I went into the Corbyn era with an open mind and I did the same for Starmer. Both turned out to be bitter disappointments. Labour is just in a really bad way generally - as well as the leadership, there just seems to be completely toxic environment in the party from top to bottom.

Thankfully it didn't turn out THAT CLOSE for London Mayor in the end after all, despite what a lot of the media seems to be reporting.
Sadiq had a million votes more than Bailey on the first round, and 70% of the second round votes. I believe Sadiq's vote share was only down by about 1.5%, which really isn't ALL THAT BAD, especially with turnout being at 41% - he'd likely have made that up had more people voted.

Not a THUMPING WIN, but certainly a clear mandate.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNL
There are plenty of suburbs where Labour could do a lot better if they weren't having their votes siphoned off by the Greens and the Lib Dems.

You've just summarised Labour's problem. They still think that it's "their" votes, that people somehow only vote LibDem or Green due to disappointment with Labour rather than ideological differences. Labour don't stand for anything at the moment. It's a wee bit different in Scotland where they are the left-wing unionist party and therefore have a more natural audience but I cannot see what they're bringing to the table in England.

I know it's OLD NEWS now, but I was most interested in this ODDBALL London Mayor candidate called FARAH LONDON

11904038.jpg

She was apparently a "businesswoman from Croydon", her mainly policies seemed to revolve around reversing Sadiq's low traffic neighbourhood schemes (that have helped clean up London's air), all of her photos have her posing as an Apprentice candidate, and her slogan was "Bring London back!" (did London go somewhere??)

She managed to get 11,000 votes, and lost her deposit - WHO stumps up the £10,000 to finance these obvious no-hopers? :D

Probably the same people who cough up for shite patter like Binface and Niko. God's way of telling you that you have too much money.

It really is worth harping on about the Greens performance. After the Tories they made the most gains (+71 at present in England). Is there even a slim chance Labour can take advantage of a moderately successful and growing 4th party, who are natural bedfellows? I can't see that being Kier's thing and I've never heard anyone in Labour talking practically about an alliance. We can but dream.

Last edited:
It's really annoying me I can't find how many 2nd choice votes the Greens got in the London Mayor Elections online.
From the data we saw on Friday, they were on track to get about 500,000ish second choice votes which is HUGE!

It really worth harping on about the Greens performance. After the Tories they made the most gains (+71 at present in England). Is there even a slim chance Labour can take advantage of a moderately successful and growing 4th party, who are natural bedfellows? I can't see that being Kier's thing and I've never heard anyone in Labour talking practically about an alliance. We can but dream.

Can't speak for England but the Scottish Greens wouldn't touch Scottish Labour with a shitty stick.

I'm not sure that the Greens are big enough for an alliance to do much good for either of them in a General Election. There may be a few places where Labour would benefit from not having a Green candidate on the ballot, but I really don't see what the Greens would get out of it. They aren't terribly close to picking up a second seat anywhere and Labour might feel that they have a better chance of beating the Tory wherever the Greens might have a chance. It's the Lib Dem/Labour pact that they should be focusing on because there are plenty of seats that could be taken off the Tories with that.

Can't speak for England but the Scottish Greens wouldn't touch Scottish Labour with a shitty stick.
I think the same would be true in England. The Greens have a better chance of pushing Labour policies in the direction they want as Labour try to attract their voters, rather than getting swallowed up and spat out as part of an alliance. Electoral pacts don't usually end too well for the smaller party in England!

I wonder if Labour can sink any lower? You have to hope, that the only way is up.

Arguably, that clip proves that bribery works. The only way to get money and investment out of the Tories is to vote for them. But there are areas that voted Tory that will never see the promised investment. Make it seem like you care, make it seem like you're going to invest and people will throw their lot in. Walk around going "ooh, it's terrible isn't it? But we can't do much, eh?" and you'll get horsed.

I know that's simplistic but the Tories and their mainstream media chums are playing a very manipulative game and succeeding.

the Tories and their mainstream media chums are playing a very manipulative game and succeeding.
That's the worry with the whole thing, regardless of the leadership how can any opposition party break through this?

Wasn't it quite similar for the Conservatives during 1997 to 2010? They went through a number of leaders, seemed directionless and weren't connecting with the country

I know Covid has hidden a lot, but I had to Google who the shadow Chancellor was.

Worth noting that Labour have won 10 of the 12 confirmed Mayoral contests, even taking a couple. It's not a TOTAL lost cause.

I think one factor of that is that the Mayorals feel more significant?

I was happy to switch my vote to Green for the local councils, but I was nowhere near ready to take that risk when it could split a vote for Mayor. (Although also I actually like Tracy Brabin, but that's beside the point).

Why hasn't he visited the places he's had success instead of pissing around with his team?

I'M SO ANNOYED!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom