2022 Midterm Elections (US)

RJN

lost all chats
Pronouns
he/him
Well this is tomorrow. I'm feeling ok but also anxious but also good but also terrible about them (depending on the moment)

My Predictions as of now

Senator
Pennsylvania - D (just)
Ohio - R
Georgia - D
Nevada - D
Arizona - R???
New Hampshire - D
North Carolina - R
Wisconsin - R
Florida - R

Governor
Pennsylvania - D
Ohio - R
Georgia - R ( :()
Arizona - who knows
Nevada - D
Wisconsin - D
Oregon - surprise R
Oklahoma - surprise D

Maybe I'm too much on election twitter and being misinformed, but things are looking better than they were last week at least. The polling is Ok and I think the Democrats are still going to hold on to the Senate

Oh Good!

The ex American footballer running in Georgia seems like the dipshit of dipshits

Hate to the harbringer of doom, but...

1667833849999.png

I've seen clips of the stolen vote loons policing polling stations. It's mental and America should be blown up.

It would be awful normally, but the incoming Republicans are fucking loons intent on wrecking democracy, despite a conviction they're saving it.

As I say, destroy America and start again.

It would be awful normally, but the incoming Republicans are fucking loons intent on wrecking democracy, despite a conviction they're saving it.
Its a double edged sword, because them winning is terrifying but they are so off-putting, so its less likely they'll win than someone more normal

As I say, destroy America and start again.
We should enter a suicide pact with them. We've fucked it, they've fucked it, let's blow each other app and just have a buoy floating in the Atlantic with a sign saying "we're sorry".

Its a double edged sword, because them winning is terrifying but they are so off-putting, so its less likely they'll win than someone more normal
So if they win, they're less to win.

American politics is so confusing, just when I thought I'd nailed it in 2020.

The slivers of hope are that:

a) the Republicans have been flooding the aggregators with extremely dodgy polls to exaggerate their support.
b) Even the more trustworthy polls are very bad at connecting with young people, who are hopefully voting in large numbers.

But there's probably an element of wishful thinking going on. Remember the 2019 #Youthquake?

Reactions: RJN
what happens if the Dems keep the senate but lose the House? does that just make it even harder for them to push anything meaningful through?

And if the polls are proven to be wrong, so the stolen election narrative continues.

I'm pretty sure this will be a disaster for Democrats and the likely end of the January 6th Committee.

Yeah it'll be more or less gridlock either way, but much worse if the senate flips.

The House will probably spend two years doing ridiculous publicity stunts like attempting to impeach Biden :rolleyes:

what happens if the Dems keep the senate but lose the House? does that just make it even harder for them to push anything meaningful through?
They can still confirm judges but it’ll be almost impossible to pass legislation. Maybe a few minor things but nothing major

Against strong competition, I think the emergence of Dr. Oz as a serious senatorial candidate is the most horrifying aspect of this election cycle.

It's actually very usual for the sitting party to fare poorly in the midterms by the way - it's such a bizarre system.

On the plus side, Biden already managed to push through a truly impressive amount of key agenda items. The reason this one is so scary is, as people have said, the Republicans are openly fielding facists at this point, who will be in a position to effectively rig future votes in key swing states. You'll hear the name Kari Lake a lot over the next two years, for example, if she wins in Arizona.

And if the polls are proven to be wrong, so the stolen election narrative continues.

I'm pretty sure this will be a disaster for Democrats and the likely end of the January 6th Committee.
most recent polls have the democrats just slightly ahead in most swing states. Not that that will stop the Republicans from claiming fraud anytime they lose

Against strong competition, I think the emergence of Dr. Oz as a serious senatorial candidate is the most horrifying aspect of this election cycle.
he's not even one of the worst. :( :D

There was a news article from the other day that I only skimmed through so I might have got some of it wrong, but apperently the Democrats spend millions of dollars on promoting the crazy Republican candidates in some states so that they’ll be easier to beat. It sounds like a terrifying strategy to me because it gives these loons too much publicity and because republican voters seem crazy enough to believe whatever so you’ll be stuck with some dangerous people in positions they shouldn’t be in.

Also, I do like Fetterman a lot and I understand that this is just how US politics operates, but the constant PANHANDLING is so bizarre from a British perspective.

Every single tweet is like 'Dr Oz is going to ban abortions and defund our schools - send me $5 right now to help stop him!'

I get about 10 texts a day from candidates asking for money

At least if the Republicans do well (which is supposedly one of the surest bets in politics - the opposition doing well in midterms), there is a decent precedent of these winners having ample time to show how shit they are, with the needling swinging back for the main election

If the Democrats fare really poorly, there will also be pressure on Biden to make way for a more appealing candidate in 2024, which honestly wouldn't be the worst thing. (Though it kinda begs the question of WHO)

Conversely, Trump is expected to announce his intention to re-run if the Republicans do well, and it seems that Ron DeSantis is going to bide his time and essentially give him a clear field. :zombie:

At least if the Republicans do well (which is supposedly one of the surest bets in politics - the opposition doing well in midterms), there is a decent precedent of these winners having ample time to show how shit they are, with the needling swinging back for the main election
Yeah, but with Republicans then certifying that election, it will be a shitshow anyway.

@RJN can you explain term lengths for me? why is Raphael Warnock up again after just two years in Georgia? do senators always only get two years?

in an NYT prediction piece I'm reading, a columnist predicts "six more years" for Ron Johnson in Wisconsin's Senate race. I feel really confused.

I wouldn’t mind if Trump runs again in 2024. As long as he gets arrested immediately after he is irrevocably on the ballot and has to run the entire campaign from a jail cell whilst wearing a jump suit that clashes very badly with his skin tone.

@RJN can you explain term lengths for me? why is Raphael Warnock up again after just two years in Georgia? do senators always only get two years?

in an NYT prediction piece I'm reading, a columnist predicts "six more years" for Ron Johnson in Wisconsin's Senate race. I feel really confused.
Senators get six years. Warnock was elected to replace someone who had resigned and so only gets to finish his original term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom