Awards Season 23/24

Making lists with my friends for the ones to watch.

I have seen some of these but all of us haven’t, and we’ve skipped the ones we’ve all seen, so in case you’re interested:

Netflix

Maestro
Rustin
Nyad
Nimona
El Conde
Society of the Snow
American Symphony
The After
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Disney+
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Flamin’ Hot
The Creator
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

tv+
Napoleon

Paramount+
The ABCs of Book Banning

Sky/NowTV
May December

YouTube:

The Barber of Little Rock:
Island In Between:
Pachyderm:
The Last Repair Shop:
Knight of Fortune:

None yet:

American Fiction (2nd Feb)
The Holdovers
The Zone of Interest (2nd Feb)
The Color Purple (26th Jan)
The Boy and the Heron
Robot Dreams
Bobi Wine: The People’s President
The Eternal Memory
Four Daughters
To Kill a Tiger
Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó (Disney+)
Io Capitano (8th March)
Perfect Days
The Teachers’ Lounge (22nd March)
Golda
Letter to a Pig
Ninety-Five Senses
Our Uniform
War is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko
Invincible
Red, White and Blue
Godzilla Minus One
Perfect Days
The Teachers’ Lounge (22nd March)
Golds
Letter to a Pig
Our Uniform
War is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko
Invincible
Red, White and Blue

Godzilla Minus One

I was really hoping Godzilla Minus One might sneak in for Best International Feature, PS please go see it if you haven't 🙏

The snub of Robbie and Gerwig is such a slap
in the face - particularly for Gerwig. The fact that 3 Best Picture winners are directed by women but as usual they can’t find space for them on the Best Director rostrum makes it even worse.

The fact Ruffalo is nominated for a dodgy accent and a one note performance when Robbie has missed out is bonkers (and yes I know it’s a different category, but it’s the principle!)

I’m a little miffed that Leonardo DiCaorio has barely even been in the conversation this year, yet Bradley Cooper shoehorns himself in for a baity, hammy performance. He’s like George Clooney in the mid 00s all over again.

The thing with Barbie is that Ryan WAS the stand-out performance of the film though.

:Santos:

Reactions: GNL
The snub of Robbie and Gerwig is such a slap
in the face - particularly for Gerwig. The fact that 3 Best Picture winners are directed by women but as usual they can’t find space for them on the Best Director rostrum makes it even worse.

The fact Ruffalo is nominated for a dodgy accent and a one note performance when Robbie has missed out is bonkers (and yes I know it’s a different category, but it’s the principle!)

Gerwig missing out does feel like a real oversight but I'm not sure I feel like Margot Robbie has been robbed of a nomination. She did a really good job in Barbie but she didn't have that much to get her teeth into.

The fact that The Zone of Interest got a Best Director nom is quite astounding. I saw it last week and blimey, I think I could have directed THAT.

At least it's not the exact same ballad she's had for the last eight Oscars, but it is hilarious that this is an Oscar nominated song. It'd sound like middling filler at a Danish Eurovision national final.

Last edited:
I was really hoping Godzilla Minus One might sneak in for Best International Feature, PS please go see it if you haven't 🙏
Just saw it got a nom for visual effects, which is something - and really well deserved, it was made on a budget of $15 million and looks as good as most Hollywood movies that cost ten times that.

Gerwig missing out does feel like a real oversight but I'm not sure I feel like Margot Robbie has been robbed of a nomination. She did a really good job in Barbie but she didn't have that much to get her teeth into.

And yet… Gosling and Ferreira are nominees! And definitely had less to get their teeth into (I appreciate that Lead and Supporting are very different categories - it feels like the Academy are much happier to give Supporting nominations in this kind of ‘not so hard edged’ movie than Lead nominations.)

Besides Anatomy of a Fall being a great film, this nomination is also a HUGE fuck you to Macron and I couldn't be happier for Justine Triet :disco:

#HillaryBarbie has sent me :D #Hillarbie was right there girlfriend!!!

IMG_5255.gif

Having seen Society of the Snow this week, I’m actually shocked that it hasn’t got any nods for Cinematography and Sound. It deserves it waaay more than a lot of the other nominees.

Anyone managed to find a decent 'resource' for the unreleased nominees?

Of particular interest would be The Teacher's Lounge and Robot Dreams. I found the former with a bit of digging, but without a subtitle track.

Saw Society of the Snow last night. Gripping and horrifying. I only vaguely knew the story, had no idea they were out there for that long!

Anyone managed to find a decent 'resource' for the unreleased nominees?

Of particular interest would be The Teacher's Lounge and Robot Dreams. I found the former with a bit of digging, but without a subtitle track.

Saw Society of the Snow last night. Gripping and horrifying. I only vaguely knew the story, had no idea they were out there for that long!
Oops. I should have kept them. I deleted them all after watching. The only ones I have left before deleting are Robot Dreams, To Kill a Tiger and Io Capitano.

What is the best way to share these days?

One week to the ceremony. To be honest with Best Picture, Director and 3/4 acting categories basically nailed down this year I’m not feeling a lot of excitement.

Nethertheless with thanks to @Ellie and @jyxz for helping me plug a few gaps I’ve now managed to watch all the Best Picture, Director and International Feature nominees besides The Color Purple - which I should watch but just can’t really be arsed to, and I love the Spielberg movie!

Personal Picture Ranking

1. Anatomy of a Fall
2. Past Lives
3. Killers of the Flower Moon
4. The Holdovers
5. Poor Things
6. The Zone of Interest
7. Barbie
8. American Fiction
9. Oppenheimer
10. Maestro

Actor

1. Paul Giamatti
2. Jeffrey Wright
3. Cillian Murphy
4. Bradley Cooper
5. Colman Domingo

Actress

1. Sandra Hüller
2. Lily Gladstone
3. Emma Stone
4. Carey Mulligan
5. Annette Bening

Supporting Actor

1. Mark Ruffalo
2. Robert De Niro
3. Ryan Gosling
4. Sterling K Brown
5. Robert Downey Jr

Supporting Actress

1. Da’vine Joy Randolph
2. Jodie Foster
3. Emily Blunt
4. America Ferrera
TBC Danielle Brooks

Best International

1. Society of the Snow
2. The Zone of Interest
3. IO Capitano
4. The Teacher’s Lounge
5. Perfect Days

Liked all of these a lot, though with Zone of Interest getting so many nods elsewhere I wish they’d made space here for another film.

Last edited:
Actually QUITE similar to mine. I will compare and contrast a bit later... even though I gave you Robot Dreams I haven't seen it as it's playing at the BFI today. Better to see it there.

Reactions: VoR
Robot Dreams was lovely! Felt like it could have been a short, but it didn’t bore me.

For Best Picture, I'd rank them -

1. Barbie
2. The Holdovers
3. American Fiction
4. Past Lives
5. The Zone of Interest
6. Poor Things
7. Oppenheimer
8. Anatomy of a Fall

I would simply rather die than see Maestro, and though I had vague plans of watching Flower Moon it's too fucking long and I won't have the time or headspace for it ahead of the ceremony at least.

I agree that this feels like the least exciting year in a long while.

This must be one of the best line-ups for best picture in a long time. There is only one dud (Maestro).
I wish there had been some space for All of Us Strangers or May December
Personal ranking:

Great:
1. The Zone of Interest
(All of Us Strangers)
2. Past Lives
3. Poor Things

Very Good:
4. The Holdovers
5. Anatomy of a Fall
(May December)

Good:
6. Killers of the Flower Moon
7. Oppenheimer

OK
8. American Fiction
9. Barbie

Nah:
10. Maestro

American Fiction is alright but I genuinely think the writing is the weakest element, so for it to be the favourite for Best Screenplay is a bit puzzling to me.

Also what a total waste of Tracey Ellis-Ross.

DONE ALL now apart from one short which is on Paramount+ so will watch at a mate’s house next week.

Fully aware that my choices are likely not aligned with the general consensus.

Best Picture:
——-BRILLIANT——-
1. The Holdovers
2. American Fiction
3. Poor Things
4. Barbie
5. Killers of the Flower Moon
6. Anatomy of a Fall
——VERY GOOD——
7. Past Lives
——MEH——-
8. Maestro
——DOG SHIT——
9. Oppenheimer
10. The Zone of Interest

Lead Actor:
1. Paul Giamatti
2. Jeffrey Wright
3. Cillian Murphy
4. Colman Domingo
5. Bradley Cooper

Supporting Actor:
1. Robert De Niro
2. Sterling K Brown
3. Ryan Gosling
4. Mark Ruffalo
5. Robert Downey Jr.

Lead Actress:
1. Emma Stone
2. Sandra Hüller
3. Lily Gladstone
4. Carey Mulligan
5. Annette Bening

Supporting Actress:
1. Da’Vine Joy Randolph
2. America Ferrera
3. Jodie Foster
4. Danielle Brooks
5. Emily Blunt

Animated Feature:
1. Elemental
2. Robot Dreams
3. Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse
4. Nimona
5. The Boy and the Heron

Cinematography: (Society of the Snow is better than all of these)
1. Poor Things
2. Killers of the Flower Moon
3. Oppenheimer
4. El Conde
5. Maestro

Costume Design:
1. Barbie
2. Killers of the Flower Moon
3. Poor Things
4. Napoleon
5. Oppenheimer (ooh, suits and naked people?)

Directing:
1. Yorgos Lanthimos - Poor Things
2. Martin Scorsese - KOTFM
3. Justine Trier - AOAF
4. Christopher Nolan - Oppenheimer
5. Jonathan Glazer - The Zone of Interest

Documentary Feature:
1. 20 Days in Mariupol
2. To Kill a Tiger
3. Four Daughters
4. Bobi Wine
5. The Eternal Memory

Documentary Short:
1. The Barber of Little Rock
2. Island In Between
3. Nai Nai & Wai Po
4. The Last Repair Shop (literally like a really really shit episode of The Repair Shop where you don’t see any of the repairs and the human stories are a bit rubbish)
— not seen The ABCs of Book Banning

Film Editing: (another one where Society of the Snow belongs)
1. Poor Things
2. The Holdovers
4. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Oppenheimer (yeah, edit that)

International Feature:
1. Society of the Snow
2. Io Capitano
3. Perfect Days
4. The Teachers’ Lounge
5. The Zone of Interest

Make-Up and Hairstyling:
1. Society of the Snow
2. Poor Things
3. Maestro
4. Golda
5. Oppenheimer

Music (Original Score) - genuinely can’t really remember any standing out and it’s ridiculous John Williams gets nominated for making a few changes to a 42 year old score. Can’t really rank them.

Music (Original Song): Dua Lipa had the best song from Barbie and wasn’t nominated :( Meh. I’m Just Ken and the Billie Eilish ones are also good. Rest of the category is shite, particularly Jon Baptiste. And I wish someone would put Diane Warren out of her misery and just give her an honorary award or something so she doesn’t keep inflicting us with these completely random, low-level efforts in nothing films.

Production Design:
1. Poor Things
2. Barbie
4. Napoleon
5. Oppenheimer

Short Film (Animated):
1. War Is Over!
2. Pachyderme
3. Our Uniform
4. Letter to a Pig
5. Ninety-Five Sense

Short Film (Live Action):
1. Red, White and Blue
2. Invincible
3. The After
4. Knight of Fortune
5. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Sound: (Another major snub to Society of the Snow which excels over all of these)
1. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
2. Maestro
3. Oppenheimer
4. The Zone of Interest
5. The Creator

Visual Effects: (Society of the Snow snubbed AGAIN)
1. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
2. Godzilla Minus One
3. Napoleon
4. The Creator
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Adapted Screenplay:
1. American Fiction
2. Poor Things
3. Barbie
4. The Zone of Interest
5. Oppenheimer

Original Screenplay:
1. The Holdovers
2. Anatomy of a Fall
3. Past Lives
4. May December
5. Maestro

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR
I think that was my fault. I totally forgot about Perfect Days, which was nice enough but very forgettable.

It also annoyed me that the main character is supposed to be this deep muso whose 'rare' cassettes are worth loads of money, but all the songs were the most basic, on the nose standards imaginable.

It reminded me of a scene in The Kids Are Alright where Annette Bening and Mark Ruffalo bond over being hardcore Joni Mitchell stans but neither of them have a frame of reference that goes beyond the songs on 'Blue'. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom