Awards Season 23/24

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
Well the festivals are on their way and most movies seem to be getting positive receptions so far. No major flops.

Poor Things seems to be on top but also the new Andrew Haigh (All of us Strangers) is supposedly a tear jerker.

Maestro, Priscilla, The Killer & Ferrari all also got generally good reviews.

It’s actually a quite packed year for awards movies with Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon still to come. And Oppenheimer, Barbie and Past Lives all carrying over from the summer.

Then the Cannes crossovers Zone of Interest and Anatomy of a Fall both still going strong and they share an actress.

TIFF is starting today and I’m not seeing any of these buzzy movies because the ones playing sold out before I was able to get tickets but still it’s exciting movie time.

My TIFF list:
  • Holiday - Italian movie from a collaborator of Luca Guadagnino
  • His Three Daughters - Carrie Coon, Elizabeth Olson and Natasha Lyon playing sisters 🏳️‍🌈
  • Lee - Kate Winslet war drama
  • The Settlers - Chilean Oscar entry
  • National Anthem - a twink and cowboys movie
  • Wicked Little Letters - Olivia Coleman & Moopy Favorite Jessie Buckley
  • The Delinquents - Argentinian crime movie
Might pick up one or two more as things get more buzz as they show. There’s a movie called The Critic with Ian Mckellen and Gemma Arterton that might be decent.

Also tonight I’m seeing Rotting in the Sun but that’s not TIFF.

I have my LFF tickets booked!

Ooh you got all the buzzy stuff. Toronto is very muted this year in terms of American movies.

There's also a fair bit of buzz around Anette Bening in Nyad, though I suspect it's just wishful thinking from Oscar nerds who think she's overdue.

Wow. So I suppose that means the same level of commercials as the US networks? Whereas Sky would just have breaks for commentary rather than show ads.

Wow. So I suppose that means the same level of commercials as the US networks? Whereas Sky would just have breaks for commentary rather than show ads.
That changed this year though - it was entirely ads. I really missed my annual, intense night of really fancying Alex Zane only to then forget about him entirely for another year :(

That changed this year though - it was entirely ads. I really missed my annual, intense night of really fancying Alex Zane only to then forget about him entirely for another year :(
I usually like the panel format but still kind of hate-watch it every year as they inevitably struggle to get anyone who has watched everything to comment other than Boyd Hilton. They have had some utterly shocking guests in the past. Although the best and funniest ever was Stephanie Beacham who hated everything!

Last edited:

The consensus seems to be that it won’t be allowed to compete in original since it’s based on existing characters

Were the Golden Globes such a nothing this year that we didn't even bother posting about them? :D FAIR

Anyway the Screen Actor's Guild Award nominations are out, and they're not great, snubbing the likes of May December, Past Lives and Anatomy of a Fall in favour of decidedly middlebrow fare like Nyad and Maestro.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper – “Maestro”
Colman Domingo – “Rustin”
Paul Giamatti – “The Holdovers”
Cillian Murphy – “Oppenheimer”
Jeffrey Wright – “American Fiction”

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Annette Bening – “Nyad”
Lily Gladstone – “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Carey Mulligan – “Maestro”
Margot Robbie – “Barbie”
Emma Stone – “Poor Things”

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Sterling K. Brown – “American Fiction
Willem Dafoe – “Poor Things”
Robert De Niro – “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Robert Downey Jr. – “Oppenheimer”
Ryan Gosling – “Barbie”

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Emily Blunt – “Oppenheimer”
Danielle Brooks – “The Color Purple”
Penelope Cruz – “Ferrari”
Jodie Foster – “Nyad”
Da’Vine Joy Randolph – “The Holdovers”

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

“American Fiction”
“Barbie”
“The Color Purple”
“Killers of the Flower Moon”
“Oppenheimer”

I feel like May December could still go either way but Past Lives getting the SAG snub has to be a major shocker? The film and Greta are shoe-ins for an Oscar nomination, both could win even. although it seems like Actress is Emma's for the taking currently.

So the BAFTAs have gone against the grain so much it’s actually kind of suspicious. With Best Director especially it appears they’re stacking the deck with duds to ensure a fucking Nolan sweep.

The odd “snub” in favour of a more leftfield choice is fine, but these just don’t marry up with their choices for Best Picture.

It just feels more European leaning than the other awards which is kind of normal for Bafta, no? The only glaring shift I spotted was the lack of noms for Lily and Leo

I’m going to be positive and see it as them setting up Bradley Cooper for a loss.

It just feels more European leaning than the other awards which is kind of normal for Bafta, no? The only glaring shift I spotted was the lack of noms for Lily and Leo
I know they often favour UK/European performances, so that doesn’t explain nominating BRADLEY COOPER over Andrew Scott! I didn’t even love All of Us Strangers, but come on!

My poor beautiful Charles Melton SNUBBED for May December. :( No nom for Julianne either. Outrageoth!

crying-gracie-atherton-yoo.gif

That America Ferrara nom is a bit of a shock. Barbie is obviously going to do very well indeed.

I’m glad Robbie at least gets a Best Picture nomination.

More notable SNUBS

Bradley Cooper gets an Actor but misses in Director.
Rough showings for The Color Purple and May December with just one apiece (Supporting Actress and Screenplay respectively)
Nothing for Saltburn, but that Rosemund Pike nom was always going to be a long shot.
Nothing for All of Us Strangers.
DiCaprio misses for Killers of the Flower Moon
Nothing for The Iron Claw, Zac Efron and Jeremy Allen White both miss
Greta Lee in Past Lives :(
Penelope Cruz in Ferrari

Barbie missed in director as well! WILD that Ferrera got in considering the relatively tepid response elsewhere.

So happy with Ugly Betty becoming an Oscar nominee, and it feeling out of the blue - I wasn't aware of any hype leading up to this, despite her performance getting a lot of praise when Barbie was released.

Anatomy of a Fall to sweep the board please

Last edited:
The Greta Lee snub is shocking. overall it's a really fucking boring bunch of nominations. sorry but Ferrera and Gosling both nominated for Barbie but nothing for Margot? make it make sense...

I was doing some reading the other day and America Ferrera seemed right up the lists. I didn’t realise it would be considered a shock.

I was doing some reading the other day and America Ferrera seemed right up the lists. I didn’t realise it would be considered a shock.

She got a lot of hype early in the season because of the speech scene, but it didn't seem to translate as things progressed - she wasn't nominated at the Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild or BAFTA. So it really seemed like she was going to end up being passed over.

Julianne Moore, Penelope Cruz and Rosemund Pike all looked like having a touch more traction going into the noms, and there was even some speculation that Sandra Huller might get a supporting nom for The Zone of Interest instead of/in addition to her leading nom for Anatomy of a Fall. So for Ferrera to sneak in ahead of all of them, especially when Robbie got snubbed, is quite a surprise.

It’s quite common for films to get surprise noms in some categories and miss out in others and it’s usually because of the perfectly rational explanation that some categories are more crowded than others in any given year, but that doesn’t really seem to work in this case, because it’s probably the weakest best actress field in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom