Books you've read in 2022

Mills and Boon have entered the LGBTQIA+ market?

A love story worth fighting for…

Oxfordshire 1360

When Penn and Raff meet in Hartswood Forest the only truth they know of each other is a brief moonlit kiss they had shared the night before. But Penn is escaping an arranged marriage to a woman he has never seen. Raff is tracking the elusive missing groom of his sister to restore his family’s honour. Neither are looking for a travelling companion. Yet both men find themselves drawn to each other in ways neither imagined.

Unaware of their true identities they venture north together through Hartswood Forest. And, as their bond deepens, their fates become irrevocably entwined. But, with one escaping a life of duty and one tracking a fugitive, continued concealment threatens everything they know and trust in each other. So when secrets are finally revealed, and the consequences of their relationship become clear, both must decide what they will risk for the man they love.

875AEC4A-E1E1-46BB-99BA-499309DAC11F.jpeg

almost finished with this

20220921-131113-01.jpg

a lovely and fairly narrative-free look at language and family eccentricities in fascist Italy

and soon to make a start on these

20220921-133711-01.jpg

The Marriage Portrait is just out, it sounds so juicy. political machinations in court in 16th century Italy. :disco:

My Year of Rest will always remind me of January 2020 when we read it for Moopy bookclub. Two weeks after finishing it my life turned to shit with my mother diagnosed with cancer and then the pandemic and the rest is history. I blame it all on the shitty book but I should sleep or be in a drug coma for the entire 20’s just like she did.

saw the new Pamuk on display today @Suedey. very ugly cover (so I didn't buy it) but it sounds thrilling. wonder if there are any reviews yet

I have recently finished a book that has stayed with me for several days and nights and made me cry and think and hope for a better future and I am doing my bit spreading the word because I really think every gay man should read it.

9780141990149-jacket-large.jpg

It's a brilliant recollection of 30 years of therapy work with gay men by an American psychologist that unpicks many of the aspects of growing up and being gay in a straight world, dissecting traumas and blockers to happiness and a more fulfilling and realised life.

I'm probably not selling it very well but it's split into kind of independent chapters that tackle different aspects of the gay psyche, including shame, trauma, self-realisation, and the ghost of AIDS that still haunts the community. But if nothing else it is worth reading it for the final chapter alone where the author pays a beautiful eulogy to the men in his life and their struggle to find a model of gay lifestyle and family that suited them, free from conventions of heteronormativity. It's incredibly inspiring.

I read The Velvet Rage many years ago and I found it useful but I really think this book goes beyond it, particularly in articulating concepts of queer theory and linking them to real cases he's noticed in his professional (and personal) life.

His whole chapter on identity is essentially distilling the ideas of queer anarchism, but he does it in such a lyrical way and using examples from his clinic that it doesn't feel like an academic book.

There's an underlying sadness to the book I won't lie, but it's also triumphant and cathartic in its own way.... Honestly gays, read it!

not sure I will be able to finish Detransition, baby. I'm just not invested

next in line is The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz. a literary thriller :disco:

not sure I will be able to finish Detransition, baby. I'm just not invested

next in line is The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz. a literary thriller :disco:

I went to see Torrey Peters at an event and she was very charming, very articulate. The book, I found full of really great, camp humour, but felt like it had to shoehorn and address EVERY single trans issue, which felt exhausting. And by GOD did it need an edit.

I went to see Torrey Peters at an event and she was very charming, very articulate. The book, I found full of really great, camp humour, but felt like it had to shoehorn and address EVERY single trans issue, which felt exhausting. And by GOD did it need an edit.

pretty much sums up my thoughts!

I need to read this book but I haven’t seen a nice version of it with a spine that can fit in my shelves.

I'm still in my autobiography 'mood' and current reading James Maker's Autofellatio :eyes:

I do have On Earth We Are Briefly Gorgeous on the go as well the new epic by queen of pop Celeste Ng.

But I'll try to get on re-reading The SECRET History aprés those essentials.

I can't start anything at the moment as I'm waiting for Queen of Pop McCarthy's LEGENDARY RETURN on Tuesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom