Bran Van 3000 - Drinking In LA

"Hi! My name is Stereo Mike..."

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
I had totally forgotten this song existed until recently. I LOVE it. Not my usual type of thing but the chorus is great.

Last edited:
It's a great song.
I miss the days when adverts could make a song really massive, rather than just hang around the lower parts of the Top 40 for weeks.

At the time I wasn't that into it, but I few years later I loved it. I prefer Astounded though. One of my favourite songs of that year.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbJgdalkuC8&hl=nl&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbJgdalkuC8&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I remember it flopping completely and being very :( about it

of course it was then bizarrely re-released about 3 years later...

I'd forgotten this existed until I stumbled across it revisiting Now 44. Still sounds great.

Good song, forgot it existed. I remember it was overplayed to death on Capital at the time though.

Love this song. Was reminded of it recently in a Wolf Alice interview where Ellie said it inspired a lot of the new album.

Hi, my name is Stereo-SorB.

Yeah well anyway, they are back with a NA, UK and mainland EU tour to celebrate 25 years of being laughed at by girls on the bus who probably haven't even read their mafia story with a twist, or even can read at all. I'll have to go see them if they are all in as this song is one of those soul-endrenched life anthems that remain a snap shot of nostalgia whilst still being dreamy and hopeful. I don't think dates have been announced yet. Ugh those bleeps, bloops and ooohs.

I still remember this on the radio back in '98. The re-release seemed to be the last big hit in the grand tradition of adverts making songs hits (remember how iconic Levi's were for this?)

Fun fact: still the best selling NOW album of all time

Reminds me of university.

This makes me so happy, I was 17, so into music, this album had everything. A few huge smashes from earlier in the year (not sure why BOMT took so long), that sweet spot of turn-of-the-millennium pop, and all those trance hitz - Turn It Around? Come on!! :disco:

This is definitely a separate conversation but Now was such a powerhouse - ALL of them went platinum from #1-99 - weirdly 100 hasn’t been certified at all.
But since 102 it’s been gold, and more recently silver :( I guess streaming got it.

Can compilations pick up streaming points?

I don’t think they can, only I‘d guess soundtracks?

TBF the Now collection really held its own more than I expected, and we’re still selling good quantities right up to 2018. They initially weathered streaming much better than artist albums.

Completely redundant now sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom