Dear Evan Hansen

Vote

• Total voters
Ben Platt's new album is QUITE GOOD. It's a bit more 80s pop and a bit less warbling show tunes than his first one.

Reactions: dUb
The two big songs from the film are out!

That unexpected THUMPING at the end of Waving Through A Window :o:horny:

Looks like we have a TURKEY ON OUR HANDS LOVES! :disco: :disco: :disco:

DEAR EVAN HANSEN: VERY bad. We must throw Ben Platt in movie jail and revoke his Tony for this all-time bad performance, but let Julianne Moore arrest him because she’s the saving grace in this poorly realized and tone-deaf trainwreck that hits much differently on screen #TIFF21
— Jason (@jasonosia) September 10, 2021

DEAR EVAN HANSEN: sometimes Broadway musicals don’t translate to film. Universal did it with CATS and they did it again with this. Major difference is that CATS is camp and this is an offensively messy dumpster fire that might as well be supervillain musical origin story. #TIFF21 pic.twitter.com/VIHKeHolgI
— Rendy Jones @ #TIFF21 (@Rendy_Jones) September 10, 2021

Look, I will NEVER take away what so many people get from Dear Evan Hansen and what it means to them. But its foundation is irreparably broken in a way that not even Stephen Chbosky’s talent for capturing adolescence nor this great cast can fix. #TIFF21 pic.twitter.com/WAUVhGwRey
— Dancin' Dan @ #TIFF21 (@dancindanonfilm) September 10, 2021

#TIFF21 movie 2: DEAR EVAN HANSEN

Undoubtedly the worst musical I have ever seen. Overwrought and emotionless at the same time. Borderline offensive about trauma and mental illness. It’s like it spun a wheel of trauma a hundred times and added every option. Jail to everyone. pic.twitter.com/1sBMyJupfe
— Karl Delossantos @ TIFF 2021 (@karl_delo) September 9, 2021

I would give my reaction to DEAR EVAN HANSEN but I don't want to be banned for insensitive language. #TIFF2021
— Robert Daniels @ TIFF (@812filmreviews) September 10, 2021

This is my favorite reaction

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: dUb
musical theatre twitter is having a fucking FIELD DAY :D

It’s only like 4 years old

The subject matter was always terrible. He’s a prick.

:D! Especially at the phrase "in the hope that he will appear younger" - as if this man's alleged Methuselah-style ancientness will manage to DEFY the expensive CGI effects.

I know he has a lovely voice and all, but I find it hard to feel too sorry for him given his millionaire super-producer father is probably the sole reason he was cast (and retained despite the clear age issues) in this in the first place.

I don't really get the complaints about him having a famous father. It's hardly the first time nepotism has reared its head in the entertainment business!

He's got a cracking voice and really delivers the DEH songs - it's just such a shame they're not served by a better plot.

I'm just saying nepotism can be a double-edged sword. How many amazing stage performers who DON'T have powerful relatives have been replaced by younger/more famous models when big musicals get transferred to the screen?

I don't really agree with your point. He created the role on stage so I have no problem with him playing the part in the film, as ridiculous as he looks with that wig. If his father had a say in that, why not.

Transferring musical hits to screen rarely goes well, so I guess having him on board mitigates the risk somewhat.

I'd much prefer to have seen Julie Andrews in the "My Fair Lady" film (her getting dumped for Hepburn in that is truly an outrage – but it did win her that Oscar!). Rita Moreno stealing Chita Rivera's originated part in West Side Story is a similar tale.

I'd much prefer to have seen Julie Andrews in the "My Fair Lady" film (her getting dumped for Hepburn in that is truly an outrage – but it did win her that Oscar!). Rita Moreno stealing Chita Rivera's originated part in West Side Story is a similar tale.

Maintaining the cast of Rent for the movie was a huge mistake. This is similar, he looks ridiculous regardless of how he got hate role or how bad the musical is.

Maintaining the cast of Rent for the movie was a huge mistake. This is similar, he looks ridiculous regardless of how he got hate role or how bad the musical is.
Rent is pretty ropey as a show too, so I think getting the (way too old even in the first place) original cast to creak around in the film was probably the best bet for making the money back.

Rent is pretty ropey as a show too, so I think getting the (way too old even in the first place) original cast to creak around in the film was probably the best bet for making the money back.

But we know it’s not. It was a bad bet (I agree the musical is ropey but having 35 y/o in those roles doomed it even more). None of these people are stars who can carry a movie and it’s shocking that they never learn.

Reactions: VoR
I think Christian is slightly missing my point anyway.

I totally agree that stage stars should have a right to take on the role they created in the film adaptations if they're still appropriate for them. Poor old Ben quite clearly wasn't, but he got the role anyway, most likely because Daddy flashed his wallet, and now he's being humiliated. I don't think it's terribly comparable to what happened to Julie Andrews.

I mean, it really can't be stressed enough how ridiculous this looks :D

6e20396a053a88ddb4bd91cdd57f97111b133213.png

The stage to screen musical transition rarely ends well.

The ones that work (Cabaret, The Sound Of Music) generally rip the source material to shreds and make something entirely new.

Reactions: GNL
I think Christian is slightly missing my point anyway.

I totally agree that stage stars should have a right to take on the role they created in the film adaptations if they're still appropriate for them. Poor old Ben quite clearly wasn't, but he got the role anyway, most likely because Daddy flashed his wallet, and now he's being humiliated. I don't think it's terribly comparable to what happened to Julie Andrews.
I actually don't think the stage stars have any right to playing a role they originated. It's just in those cases they went for the (at the time) box office gold rather than the talent.

Now Ben looks awful in the shots from this and I'm really not trying to apologise for him, but I don't think he got the gig just because of his Dad. He created the role, took it through tryouts, previews and Broadway itself, so he's got more of a claim to the role than most. Is he wrong for this age wise? Yes. Am I happier to see him have a bash at this rather than an unknown to me tween star? Yes too.

I think there's a whole other topic about musicals that were made better by their film productions. Cabaret, Chicago and Grease would be top of that list.

Anyway I'm not saying he didn't do a great job with it on the stage, by all accounts he did. I'm just not crying a river at this monument to rich white hubris falling on its arse. :D

Neither am I

A "monument to rich white hubris" though?

Ben might be SHIT and have a SHIT WIG ON but REALLY?

I'm with VoR, and yes it's hardly the first example of NEPOTISM in the ARTS but by golly just looking at that trailer the whole thing looks like a 16 year old's summer film project.

If you managed to get a leg up from DAD in the THEATRES at least USE IT WISELY.

oh it SCREAMS hubris

and it's his real hair

atone pls Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom