Doja Cat - Paint the Town Red / Demons / 4th album Scarlet

Jark

User
she's been teasing this quite a bit, it's supposedly a much more rap/less pop record than Planet Her. first single should be coming soon, it's been played to people at Spotify already.

it's been a pretty dry spell for quality female rap. I'm kinda READY.

This has the potential to be so good but also so bad

The fact that we live in a world where
Doja Cat is on her 4th album tho
Wow I’m old

Doja's lost her marbles again.

Does this means the upcoming album will not feature the Dr.??

she got a tattoo of a bat on her back and says bats are a symbol of initiation and reinvention or something

also the first single seems to be called Attention and is coming THIS MONTH. yay!

oh really? you never mention it.

I actually don't. You're getting confused whenever Kim Petras or Nicki are mentioned :love:

But come on now, dismissing your past work and calling out your fans for actually buying into it is a cunty thing to do; lady you made the music and wrote the lyrics :D It's refreshing when artists acknowledge their earlier/cheesier work in an appreciative way for the fans because it's what got them there. She's free to prove her real raw talent without disowning her hits but whatever.
This delusion stinks of Beyonc'e levels when she's clearly just Toni Braxton.

Yeah this still has some pop sensibilities to it despite a definite shift from the last two albums.

Ugh, she's so good at trying something NEW. I love everything about this. There's something quite Lauryn Hill about it.

And I don't know if it was a conscious decision, but I love the video's reference to the Verve's Bittersweet Symphony.

it's doing alright on streaming, and apparently taking off on TikTok, let's see how/if it grows.

I really like the chorus but her delivery on the verses is... a bit boring. it's not giving BIG RAP RECORD.

it's stupid, ya follow me but you don't really care about the music...

*tumbleweed drifts past unbothered*

Attention grew quite a lot but this is very boring

she's literally known for switching up her flow every verse so these flat rap deliveries are not hitting

But it seems to be holding up well on Spotify its first few days, more so than “Attention”

Is she flopping?
No, I wouldn’t say so. Will it measure up to her last album’s success? Not likely at this point but none of her singles really opened huge out of the gate. “Attention” lacked longevity but she also demoted it to buzz single status via social media within days of release so I don’t blame radio/the general public from moving on from it quickly. This new one stabilized in the US Spotify top ten for now, and isn’t doing bad globally (and also stable) so definitely not flopping. Her last album singles were also a lot more pop oriented so I wouldn’t be surprised if this new album is still a decline commercially, but still too early to judge for her.

quite enjoying Paint the Town Red now. the mmm, she a devil hook is fantastic. doing well on Spotify too (her biggest first week ever apparently)

sorry but Attention and Paint The Town Red are better than anything on Planet Her. she really said the music, not the bling.

sorry but Attention and Paint The Town Red are better than anything on Planet Her. she really said the music, not the bling.
but... are they?

despite the very self-serious stylings of both songs, I'm not hearing any particular artistic glow-up. lyrically both songs have a lot of "...oh." moments that really shouldn't be there on her big "look at me I'm a rapper!" record.

the verses lack memorable or iconic lines/deliveries, she never approaches the power she reaches on Need to Know or Woman, which is what really made those songs so juicy.

Paint has a killer chorus though so I choose to forgive.

i guess the self-seriousness is what i've personally been waiting for. Planet Her felt like a mature bitch i'm a cow, bitch i'm a cow, bitch i'm a cow, and i'm ready for her to get serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom