Eurovision 2023 News

Are you going?

• Total voters

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
Not sure if this might be better off being merged with the speculation thread in the long run but it is nice to have a thread with all the latest NEWS & GOSSSIP etc etc

Still no word from the EBU on what their plan of action is in terms of a host country but in the case that Ukraine can’t host it (:eyes:) the following have popped their hat in the ring (in some form or other): Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

There‘s a bit of a HOOH HAH surrounding the disqualified jury votes from last year, with Romania REPORTEDLY not only threatening to withdraw but also threatening to take LEGAL ACTION against the EBU because they cheated :o:D:disco: North Macedonia have also made rumblings about a possible withdrawal (according to the euroloons). Some of the euroloons also seem to think that Poland’s involvement with the voting scandal may hinder their chances of hosting next year?! :D

Confirmed participants (as of 17th October):
In
Albania
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belgium
Croatia
Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Serbia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
United Kingdom (hosts)

Out
Montenegro
North Macedonia

Undeclared
Armenia
Bulgaria
Czech Republic
Moldova

Last edited:
I can’t see why Romania want to sue, they were one of the few from that kabal to qualify!

Oh Romania. Never sue unless you absolutely have to. It wasn’t long ago they were kicked out for not paying their partnership fees.

Which is no shade whatsoever on Ela, which remains amazing in studio form

Am I right in thinking the UK didn't confirm participation until quite late last year?
That’s more likely to be because they forgot than that they were thinking about pulling out. We’re good now so can confirm early.

Ukrainian TV stated yesterday that they've set up an organisation committee for hosting ESC 2023 in Ukraine next year and the EBU have approved it (https://suspilne.media/248958-v-ukraini-stvorili-komitet-z-provedenna-evrobacenna-2023/). I'm assuming the EBU will have to come out and say soon that it won't be there - unless they really think it can be, which would be surprising?

Participants wise, things seem to have become pretty stable over the past few years - I guess Montenegro is a bit tenuous, especially after being caught up in the jury stuff this year, but I would guess Romania (as Eurovision is one of the very few shows that TVR gets half decent viewing figures for) and Macedonia (who have already fired the head of delegation) will stick around after the fuss dies down. Bosnia and Andorra have no money; Turkey and Hungary have political obstacles and nobody in Slovakia cares even after the relatively decent run the Czechs have had. Monaco would be the only realistic one but apparently their new TV station being set up to bring them back has been delayed. Of course, in theory, Libya or Algeria could debut :D

Czech Republic are at real risk of withdrawing sadly. They’re making big budget cuts to their TV output and Eurovision already gets pitiful ratings.

Czech Republic are at real risk of withdrawing sadly. They’re making big budget cuts to their TV output and Eurovision already gets pitiful ratings.
Ah yeah I forgot about them, the ratings really are dire even with their improved recent record. Their old head of delegation had it as a real passion project (and still posts about it more than any of the current team), not sure how much the new team would fight to keep it :(

It always begs the question which countries are most and least passionate about Eurovision?

Perversely I suspect the UK would rank very highly!

It always begs the question which countries are most and least passionate about Eurovision?

Perversely I suspect the UK would rank very highly!
I believe Georgia and the Czech Republic consistently record the lowest viewing figures, with Iceland, Malta and Sweden the highest. Iceland regularly posts something ludicrous like a 97% viewing share for the final :D

I do find it quite odd how Albania and Moldova somehow manage to afford to take part every year :D

I guess Albania have a pretty established selection in place already and Moldova do sometimes have a bit of cash flowing their way (:hostage:) but STILL.

The Sanremo 2023 rules have been released today and, as expected, the winner will be given first refusal on representing Italy at Eurovision.

Hadn’t that been the rule for several years?
Since 2012, although Emma refused that year but would come back in 2014 when RAI decided against the Sanremo winner going to Eurovision.

According to the president of RTVE (the Spanish broadcaster) “We don’t want to be left with the mirage of a good result, we will try to win next year. We were also interested in organizing the Eurovision 2023 contest, but if Ukraine resigns, the BBC will organize it.”

I suppose it COULD be a mistranslation..

I guess there was no fact checking, there wasn’t even spell checking!

I guess you do need 5 weeeks to host Eurovsision

Eurovision fans really seem to know SHIT ALL :rolleyes:

The Hydro really would be a fantastic venue for something like this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

That's a lot of speculation (anybody checked the schedule at Harrogate International Centre or any other arenas - Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds? :D )

I haven’t read the article so it might already have been mentioned but the owners of the arena had come out since and said the gap in the schedule wasn’t anything to do with Eurovision.

They can easily move events about anyway and they’ve done it for Eurovision before in other years, and that event at the Hydro in April couldn’t go ahead anyway as they’d need to be constructing the stage/stand-in rehearsals by that point.

I would imagine it’d be Manchester v Glasgow if we host it though.

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is a story now; at least three weeks ago the fanz had noted a large gap in the Hydro's 2023 schedule and were speculating wildly.

I don't understand why this is a story now; at least three weeks ago the fanz had noted a large gap in the Hydro's 2023 schedule and were speculating wildly.
It'll be off the back of the Spanish broadcaster saying the UK will host if Ukraine doesn't.

R SAM to host with AJ Odudu please, wearing the colours of the Ukrainian flag. I'll accept nothing less.

Last edited:
It's coming home!
Nicola Sturgeon What GIF by The SNP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom