Eurovision vs Melodifestivalen

justice 4 char

• Total voters

Suomi

User
Well my gays, the season is upon us once more, and guess what? I've been THINKING. The Melodifestivalen churns out roughly about 28 GREAT pop songs out of a possible 32 year in, year out. The Eurovision Song Contest churns out about 5 great songs out a possible 48. There is no political voting in the MF. The MF goes on for 5 weeks, the ESC goes on for 4 days. The music is better in the MF. The staging and voting procedure is better and fairer in the MF. Acts in the MF get a second chance. People watching the MF genuinely like watching it, and aren't watching it with the sort of mocking derision you get with the ESC. The interval acts in the MF are usually not crap. The MF has a sense of humour about itself.

So, with that unbiased slant in mind,

Has MF overtaken the ESC as your song contest of choice now?

It actually did from the moment I discovered MF! And that was in the relatively weak 2007! (Although I'm still fond of that year).

As you said, the depth of quality is just SO much better and it's much more exciting.

Absolutely the MF

Three years ago I'd have laughed in your face but the last couple of Eurovisions have been DREADFUL song wise...

I don't think the quality is AS good as you think it is, but overall I think the MF quality is better. To say 7/8ths of the songs in any given MF are great is preposterous... I would say the number was closer to 10 (still better than ESC, but still).

Last edited:
Three years ago I'd have laughed in your face but the last couple of Eurovisions have been DREADFUL song wise...

2005 was the last Eurovision where I genuinely loved a large percentage of the songs, also with a great winner

The average quality of the songs is better, but as a televisual experience I much prefer my Eurovisions.

The stages and performances are usually much bigger. Unless Serbia are hosting, it's presented in a language I understand. The internationalism makes it much more interesting, drawing from a much wider range of cultures. And when it comes to the final voting, I don't really care what Malmo thinks. Also, I was a bit annoyed when The Ark won MF.

I have to say though, the Globen or Bust element is a HUGE part of my love of MF as a show. I'm really gutted that we've lost it this year, and I'm not sure at all that this new system isn't going to lead to some VERY displeasing results.

If it had been implemented last year Therese Andersson wouldn't have gone to AC, and if it had been in 2007 Sonja Alden would probably still be doing backing vocals for Shirley Clamp!

But we'll see.

I have to say though, the Globen or Bust element is a HUGE part of my love of MF as a show. I'm really gutted that we've lost it this year, and I'm not sure at all that this new system isn't going to lead to some VERY displeasing results.

we haven't lost it, there will still be the point where there are two songs left and one qualifies in the top 4 and one gets knocked out...

2005 was the last Eurovision where I genuinely loved a large percentage of the songs, also with a great winner

Well I went to 2006 so that has great great memories and also I loved quite a lot of the songs- just that the final wasn't THAT great as such a lot of good stuff didn't qualify (POOR BRAVE SILVIA)

2007 and 2008 were RUBBISH quality wise, though at least I liked "Molitva" and thought it was a deserving winner. I don't think there was particularly ANYTHING from last year I still play at all...

we haven't lost it, there will still be the point where there are two songs left and one qualifies in the top 4 and one gets knocked out...
Are you sure? I suspect the bottom 4 will be eliminated at once.

Either way there will never be another Dahlberg moment!

I thought it was the top 4 qualify from the first voting round instead of the top 5, and then 1st goes up against 4th and 2nd against 3rd for Globen vs AC.

I know Globen is the big apple but still, given that they've ALL qualified in some form by that point it does lose a lot of the excitement factor.

Ooh also if it had been done in 2007 Sanna would have been knocked out too! She was 5th behind After Dark in the first round of voting.

Last edited:
This new rule really is a "if it ain't broke..." thingy for me

I just don't GET IT

You're going to lose some really good stuff after the first round I reckon...

And as a specatacle I prefer ESC, and the first thing I LOVED about Eurovision was the fact it was countries competing against each other, which MF doesn't have aside from the odd foreign performer!

At the moment i would go with the MF. There is no other place where i can see 5 or 6 of my favourite singers every year. I don't have that kind of attachment with the artists for Eurovision (usually).

I totally love the spectacle of Eurovision though. It is just so much bigger.

Based purely on music though, i go with MF.

Are you sure? I suspect the bottom 4 will be eliminated at once.

Either way there will never be another Dahlberg moment!

no I know, but what I mean is that there still must be a point where the last act to qualify in the top 4 will be announced , and it will stand between two acts...

I can't imagine them just highlighting 4 acts on the screen all at once...

no I know, but what I mean is that there still must be a point where the last act to qualify in the top 4 will be announced , and it will stand between two acts...

I can't imagine them just highlighting 4 acts on the screen all at once...

If you mean the final top 4 qualifier after the first voting round, won't it stand between five acts?

Also are they going to do it all AC style with one pair in a vote off followed by the other, or is it going to be a multiple phone lines frenzy?

The biggest advantage for me is that none of the entries come from as FAAAAARR left field as some of the stranger ESC entries (not to point fingers, but usually from southern and eastern regions). At times in MF we are subjected to a corny dansband or faded old lounge singer, but no obese sweaty mustachioed ethnoballadeer yowling in front of a burning tree onstage. In short, there are far fewer bathroom breaks in MF.

I like the fact that the Swedish are generally fairly INTELLIGENT voters too. OK so they let Christer Sjogren go DTG last year, but despite his huge fame he never stood a real chance of winning. They always pick a strong winner.

Except The sodding Ark but let's not go there again. :evil:

They also seem to follow the Jury mostly, wheras in the UK there'd probably be an active anti-jury vote if we did that.

The biggest Jury/public disconnect I saw, aside from Nanne, was POOR Jill Johnson in 2003. Just eight points behind Fame on Juries and then a measly 22 on public votes! How humiliating! :(

Melodifestivalen is better musically, but Eurovision still trumps it easily for the excitement factor and the spectacle. I think Melodifestivalen only has a slight edge in producing songs that I still listen to once the season has ended. Perhaps 5 or 6 great songs and a whole raft of absolute crap. As Heat 1 this year already shows (IMO IMO IMO).

And whilst Melodifestivalen doesn't have political voting, the last three years has been boring from the voting angle because we knew the winner before the contest even started. Thankfully not this year.

I didn't think Charlotte was necessarily a cert. At least not until Carola crashed and burned.

And even then Sanna gave her a hell of a fight.

Reactions: Hak
Oh yeah true, well she was still an overwhelming favourite going into the contest. This year it's rather scattered around a group of faves.

I’d be interested to compare them side by side from about 2006 for me

Definitely MF from 2008-2011 without checking but more so Eurovision for the last 5 years

2006: MF
2007: MF
2008: MF
2009: MF
2010: ESC
2011: MF
2012: ESC
2013: ESC
2014: ESC
2015: ESC
2016: MF
2017: ESC
2018: MF
2019: ESC
2020: MF
2021: ESC
2022: ESC

MF 8
ESC 9

Interesting...

sophieschoice.jpg

As a show? Eurovision every time. But song quality-wise and in terms of the overall EXPERIENCE (the whole clip dripfeeding process is one of the few things that can recreate that Christmas morning as a child feeling for me as an adult), Melodifestivalen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom