Gladiators (2024)

Poor Chung! I really rooting for him to win it all. :( One thing to be withdrawn before the start of the show, but having to leave mid-game and in the semi-final as well, my heart goes out to him.

Kerry is phenemonal, her pushing Sabre off the crossing was so gutsy and incredibly brave! :D Definitely think and want her to go on to win it all!
I was expecting a Chung/Kerry win in the final too :(

Heartbroken for Chung :(

He has been elite - the only person to beat Nitro on the wall, and THREE TIMES for goodness sake. Absolutely my champion.

Respect for surprising hetero Matt for seemingly throwing the Eliminator at the end, there. He'd have been even less worthy in the final than Wesley.

GUTTED for Kerry, too! Good ep despite the heartbreak, though.

Really felt for Chung there - he had the fastest eliminator out of all the contestants and the fave really! :(

Bloody hell at the female competion...Kerry against Bronte is going to be quite something :disco:

I was watching that travellator speed.....its always been questionable them turning the speed up and down as they see fit. It definitely goes much slower once the winner has won, and from the ITV one they slowed it down but from what the old Gladiators podcasts have said they slowed it but only both at the same time. BBC do it I am sure they HAVE to be fair would be found out. but the 90's and ITV would have been another ball game

I was watching that travellator speed.....its always been questionable them turning the speed up and down as they see fit. It definitely goes much slower once the winner has won, and from the ITV one they slowed it down but both at a time...they said. BBC do it I am sure they HAVE to be fair would be found out. but the 90's and ITV would have been another ball game
I did wonder this as well! My theory for the BBC one is, like you said, that they slow it down once the winner has won so that the runner-up at least has the honor of finishing the course. That and/or they slow it down if both contenders have had a go at climbing up it but have both stumbled down (and not just one).

I did wonder this as well! My theory for the BBC one is, like you said, that they slow it down once the winner has won so that the runner-up at least has the honor of finishing the course. That and/or they slow it down if both contenders have had a go at climbing up it but have both stumbled down (and not just one).

Yes, I think that's definitely what the BBC do, they'd get caught out if they did any different. As you say, slow it down once the winner has completed, so the runner up actually gets up, and also, I think if both can't get up, the slow both down.

There was some questions about ITV changing the speed, for example if the one in the lead failed, and then slowing it down for the second one to come and take the win...guess we will never know. But in terms of all those public voting scandals that happened in-between i would say it was likely, in the original series

Last edited:
Something almost twitched tonight after Apollo did The Edge.

I'm looking forward to the final, but I'm also thinking ahead to the next series and how it has such potential. There are some easy tweaks to improve the format (different events, which is surely a given; a new - preferably female - presenter to replace Barney Walsh), and they'll probably have a wider range of competitors. I assume the gladiators they have next series will be somewhat dictated by their availability and fitness. Nonetheless, there's a pretty clear divide between those who should stay and those who are expendable.

Something almost twitched tonight after Apollo did The Edge.

I'm looking forward to the final, but I'm also thinking ahead to the next series and how it has such potential. There are some easy tweaks to improve the format (different events, which is surely a given; a new - preferably female - presenter to replace Barney Walsh), and they'll probably have a wider range of competitors. I assume the gladiators they have next series will be somewhat dictated by their availability and fitness. Nonetheless, there's a pretty clear divide between those who should stay and those who are expendable.

I agree about the presenters, but given the success they surely won't change it?

Who do you think is expendable in terms of Glads?

Bionic, Electro, Viper, Athena and Dynamite all make up the numbers to me. None of them (bar Viper) are dreadful, though.

I'm tempted to include Phantom as well. He is a beautiful man but isn't used nearly enough.

(And I'm giving Comet the benefit of the doubt considering she got injured and hasn't had any screentime at all)

The show will go down as a success, but I don't think they will be unconcerned by the haemorraghing of viewers, and will try to do something to address that. They need to try something to keep it more exciting and vital.

As much as I dislike Bradley and Barney on it, I don't think they are a huge part of the issue. And would Bradley Walsh stay if Barney was axed?

As much as I dislike Bradley and Barney on it, I don't think they are a huge part of the issue. And would Bradley Walsh stay if Barney was axed?

I don't think anything NEEDS to change. If they just repeated the exact same setup again, I'd happily watch it, although I do agree that the drift in viewing figures may make them feel compelled to tweak the range of events and when they appear.

I guess there's a chance Bradley might not stay on if Barney was replaced, but it's also not as if they come as a package deal for any other shows he presents. My issue is not so much with Barney. I just find it unusual for a physical show with such a strong co-ed presence not to have a female presenter (particularly on the BBC), and I think it does lack that. I'm assuming Alex Scott must have been considered at some point because she is their go-to for pretty much everything :D

Amazed at the stat that Legend has successfully removed everyone from The Edge. It certainly doesn’t feel like that :D

Wesley versus Finlay rematch in the Final! :disco:

Absolutely delighted for Wesley. He is a genuinely nice guy & look forward to being the 1,000th person to chat to him about it.

Finlay will cream him in the final though. He's a rocket on the eliminator, and Wesley only got him first time through a hefty points lead. That won't happen again.

Yes, I think that's definitely what the BBC do, they'd get caught out if they did any different. As you say, slow it down once the winner has completed, so the runner up actually gets up, and also, I think if both can't get up, the slow both down.

Yes and no - i've been watching it carefully, and i think they slow it down for the runner up only if they're runner up and look like they're about to collapse and die. Quite a few of the quarter/semi finals they kept the speed the same, but a few of the heats they've slowed it down.

For me its Athena (useless at points) and male Bionic and Viper

She appears fairly frequently but leaves no impression on me whatsoever.

It's probably always been the case that certain gladiators are better at certain events. I think Electro and Athena, in particular, suffer from the infrequency with which they're used for one-on-one events.

I can see what they were going for with Viper, but Legend and Sabre do a better/more contemporary version of his schtick much more entertainingly.

Apollo must have seen he's not been asked for series 2 yet or something. His attempts at charisma these past 2 episodes have been rather transparent.

Oh Sabre's just been shoved off by Karen Dunbar.

So for S2 I'd keep Legend, Steel and Nitro. Giant serves a function I guess, but he's a bit like 90s crop top Warrior in that he just doesn't do it for me.

Oh no poor Chung. He's been my favourite to win.

Close-up of Nepo presenter asking Chung how he's doing. Cut to a zoomed out shot of Chung with a cast and crutches :D

Was surprised to see sabre this week since she was injured in the last episode but I guess they decided to switch the order or the semis around (prob a wise decision based on two favorites going out and the scheduling gap) not sure how enthused that would have made people for the other semi.

Also some point they dropped the number of points for The Edge right? I’m sure early in the series they were scoring higher than what Kerry managed to get this episode.

Was surprised to see sabre this week since she was injured in the last episode but I guess they decided to switch the order or the semis around (prob a wise decision based on two favorites going out and the scheduling gap) not sure how enthused that would have made people for the other semi.

Also some point they dropped the number of points for The Edge right? I’m sure early in the series they were scoring higher than what Kerry managed to get this episode.
Didn't someone get 18 points previously? I think I remember we mentioned it here how it was so easy (well, relatively) to score big on that event and it seemed disproportionate.

Yes, they used to get 3 points in it for a crossing and could do 6 for a maximum of 18 points. They capped it at 2 points for 5 crossings with a maximum of 10 points for the Semi-Final. I remember Chung in a Heat or Quarter-Final getting the full 18 marks and it giving him a massive lead at midpoint against his opponent who scored nothing in it. :D

Gauntlet changed as well. The time the contestants had to get through dropped from 30 seconds to 20 seconds - not that it made any difference whatsoever :D
I know contenders don't go directly against each other in it, but I'd still favour the person who completes it faster getting more points than the slower one.

I know contenders don't go directly against each other in it, but I'd still favour the person who completes it faster getting more points than the slower one.
Yeah, they could do like The Wall - 10 points for the faster of the two to clear it, 5 (or 6 in this case) for if the second placer clearing it. With 1 point per zone cleared instead of 2.

I seem to remember Gauntlet being dull in the original series too, mainly because it was on every week (probably because it’s quick and easy to set up). But it’s somehow insanely easy for contestants this time around. Did anything change or are contestants just better?

Is it wider? People seem to be able to get around the Gladiators more easily.

I'm sure the referee calls the Gladiators for 'holding' the contenders more easily than they did previously, as well.

Gauntlet is not dull: the way the camera makes its way through there to introduce the gladiators waist high is one of my highlights for some reason.

Gauntlet is not dull: the way the camera makes its way through there to introduce the gladiators waist high is one of my highlights for some reason.
I’m here for the Gauntlet love too. We get four beauties at once.

Also I just cannot get over the size of Giant. Imagine what he could do to you…

Both semi finals were filmed at the same time, hence the events being the same.

Gauntlet is too easy - it’s much wider than the original, only four glass and I think the sections themselves are shorter.

The usage of Gladiators is a bit all over. Dynamite did four of the five events tonight (it may be that Gauntlet it was supposed to be Sabre, but why not use Fire as a sub?) yet Electro just got Gauntlet. Nice to see Athena do something other than Gauntlet though.

I am perched to update my Gladiators spreadsheet for some hot stats chat.

If anyone cares, Diamond has currently participated in the most events (21), just ahead of Dynamite, Nitro and Sabre (20)

I am perched to update my Gladiators spreadsheet for some hot stats chat.

If anyone cares, Diamond has currently participated in the most events (21), just ahead of Dynamite, Nitro and Sabre (20)
I'd say that Sabre has made the most impact of those four by some distance. And very much so over Diamond and Dynamite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom