Gwen Stefani - Purple Irises + album 5

Jark

User
she's been in the studio a lot for some time now. she just shared an inspirations playlist

and she did a song called Purple Irises last year that she seems to be teasing

quick album campaign please. hopefully she's been in her singer-songwriter bag!

Very much here for an album of singer-songwriter SOFT ROCK from Gwen (and no embarrassing attempts to re-tread 'Hollaback Girl' please and thanks).

I mean, she's been threatening to release this since 2020.

As long as she's aiming to get an actual hit this album just won't happen. Just give the lonely, sad, single and childless gays with disposable income those multiple formats they want.

I mean, she's been threatening to release this since 2020.

As long as she's aiming to get an actual hit this album just won't happen. Just give the lonely, sad, single and childless gays with disposable income those multiple formats they want.
i think the 2020 album got scrapped and this is newer material.

apparently album in May and a tour after. No Doubt play coachella in April. I think she's ready to be reintroduced for real. :disco:

Liking the direction she’s taken for this album. Probably the Japan scandal scared her and she will play it safe with this one. She really should focus on her ballads.

If only this Sia-written one was on it :(

Like, realistically, just how interested is the public in Gwen reintroducing herself?

And I don't mean gays. I mean real people who live in the real world.

Like, realistically, just how interested is the public in Gwen reintroducing herself?

And I don't mean gays. I mean real people who live in the real world.
I think she is still widely liked by the public to be honest. most of them won't know she's done anything musically outside of Christmas since truth at least. with coachella/no doubt, a press blitz and reasonable commercial expectations (a top 5 album), she always has a shot.

Realistically speaking, Gwen will always be relevant, solo or not; because she's an MTV/Radio/Cultural icon, generations grew up with her, Tony, et al besides having the credibility coming from an underground garage band and crossing over to pop mainstream and as long as she wheels out th No Doubt songs she will always have a shot at something.

fuck it! I'm gonna have a best of Gwen/No Doubt evening :disco:

I was raised on The Singles 92-03 - it must have been one of the first albums I ever bought and I probably only knew of Hey Baby and It's My Life at that point but that became my bible. one of the best hits collections ever, their singles discog was bulletproof.

11 Just a Girl
11 It's My Life
09 Hey Baby
09 Bathwater
09 Sunday Morning
08 Hella Good
08 New
08 Underneath It All
08 Excuse Me Mr
08 Running
10 Spiderwebs
08 Simple Kind of Life
11 Don't Speak
07 Ex-Girlfriend
08 Trapped in a Box

never mind the audacity of covering an 80s hit for a GH single and making it one of their signature songs. the video also being one of the best pop visuals ever. ugh.

god bless lachapelle. they really do NOT make em like that anymore. :disco:

It's My Life is my Torn. Didn't realise it was a cover till way later than I should've done. Was so disappointed when I found it was! It has all the hallmarks of a brand new hot shit No Doubt track.

New is my 10/10 moment. Don't Speak is a very good song but it has suffered from overplay, overexposure and over-ANYTHING which is a shame I just can't listen to it anymore.
It's one of those song staples in every single Best Of the 90's compilations/playlists along with What's Up?, Torn and My Heart Will Go On that makes it lose any special meaning to me:(

Amazing singles. Tragic Kingdom had towering highs but I only really go back to Rock Steady and Push and Shove as albums. Both are great. I don't remember ever giving Return of Saturn a go in full. "Trapped in a Box" is rotten (but endearing) so I never bothered with the first two albums.

08 Just a Girl
10 It's My Life
09 Hey Baby
10 Bathwater
10 Sunday Morning
10 Hella Good
08 New
10 Underneath It All
06 Excuse Me Mr
09 Running
10 Spiderwebs
10 Simple Kind of Life
10 Don't Speak
07 Ex-Girlfriend
03 Trapped in a Box

"Making Out" and "Don't Let Me Down" would've made great singles too.

Well I figure we should be rating Gwen's solo stuff too, she is due for a GH:

09 What You Waiting For?
07 Rich Girl
07 Hollaback Girl
10 Cool
09 Luxurious
08 Crash
05 Wind it Up
08 The Sweet Escape
10 4 in the Morning
10 Early Winter
05 Baby Don't Lie
04 Spark the Fire
07 Used to Love You
08 Make Me Love You

10 South Side
10 Let Me Blow Ya Mind
06 Can I Have it Like That?

I gave up on the rest

Also, I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I love Wind It Up

im not ashamed the voice GIF

listening to The Sweet Escape yesterday I thought what a JOYOUS pop song - the Akon woo-hoos, the ridiculous verses, the proto-Shake it Off production... a classic. I'm not sure who else could pull off a song so candy-sweet, but Gwen makes it sound easy.

Purple Irises is in her IG stories. It’s another love song with Blake 🤢

Last edited:
Someone posted the instrumental on Twitter and it sounds lovely

09 Just a Girl
10 It's My Life
07 Hey Baby
08 Bathwater
08 Sunday Morning
09 Hella Good
09 New
10 Underneath It All (very underated. although wasn’t it one of their biggest hits in the US?)
07 Excuse Me Mr
08 Running
08 Spiderwebs
10 Simple Kind of Life
10 Don't Speak
07 Ex-Girlfriend
06 Trapped in a Box

10 Settle Down
10 Push & Shove
08 Looking Hot

I’d really love a proper No Doubt reunion actually. Hopefully the response at coachella will inspire them.

that instrumental sounds like the kind of shit I would eat up if it were John Mayer tbh

It's not 2014
but you still look good in those jeans

what in the mid-2000s Radio Disney hell is this bop?

It would be more relistenable without Blake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom