Hamburg, Bruges, Rotterdam and Le Harve

Rachey

A little bit lesbian
Afternoon.

Mandy and I are going on a 7 day cruise in November, stopping at the above places.

We've been to Zeebrugge before and got the bus into Bruges, it rained all day so we didn't get to do much.

We've also been to Rotterdam and did a windmill tour which was lovely.

Never been to Hamburg or Le Harve.

Any recommendations on things to do in any of the above? Apart from wander round. I believe we go to Hamburg on a Sunday and all the shops are closed, so any suggestions for then would be good.

I've been to Bruge and wandered around and got exceptionally drunk.

Bruges is all about canals and chocolate. (Unsure about fudge, perhaps you can introduce it :disco:)

I've been to Bruge and wandered around and got exceptionally drunk.
Last time we went to a chocolate cafe and had the biggest most sickly hot chocolate ever. It was amazing.

As much as I'd like to get drunk there, I have a free drinks package on the ship so will probably only buy a few drinks on shore. But I should experience a pub in each city.

Bruges is all about canals and chocolate. (Unsure about fudge, perhaps you can introduce it :disco:)
I'll take some with me :o

Can we just wander round ourselves easily enough?

God it's a LOOOONG time since I was there, but yeah - it's very compact. I think you need a canal boat tour to properly appreciate it though. Unless you're sick of being on the water by that point...

Ooh I love a canal boat tour, that's what we did in Amsterdam!

Ok, now I need Hamburg suggestions.

If you don't mind a perilous ascent up a spiral staircase, and then an even more perilous descent, the view from The Belfry in Bruges is pretty snazzy.

If you don't mind a perilous ascent up a spiral staircase, and then an even more perilous descent, the view from The Belfry in Bruges is pretty snazzy.
Many thanks, I like a climb for a view!

Hamburg is lovely, but I can't remember specific stuff about it.

Le Havre is probably my least favourite of the ferryports from Portsmouth, but it's nice enough. I just love France generally, so...

I'm going on a VIRGIN cruise to Bruges next summer :disco:
Ooh have you cruised before? As in...on a ship :bad:

I think we will find stuff to do in Le Harve, like eat croissants.

Ooh I love a canal boat tour, that's what we did in Amsterdam!

Ok, now I need Hamburg suggestions.
I don't think you need to go on a canal boat tour, you don't really see much more than when you're walking along the canals. The boats are also too small and packed.
Bruges is wonderful after dark, all the buildings are lit up, are you there during the evening?

Hamburg is a great city, but it’s generally more of a hang out and vibe kind of city rather than sightseeing.

Hamburg is known for its live music so maybe do some research on that, find somewhere that you can sit and drink and listen to live music. If you wanted something more specific I’m sure there’s the Beatles links, I’m not sure but there’s probably some Beatles themed bars if you’d into that

I don't think you need to go on a canal boat tour, you don't really see much more than when you're walking along the canals. The boats are also too small and packed.
Bruges is wonderful after dark, all the buildings are lit up, are you there during the evening?
I think we have to be back on board by 7pm

Hamburg is a great city, but it’s generally more of a hang out and vibe kind of city rather than sightseeing.

Hamburg is known for its live music so maybe do some research on that, find somewhere that you can sit and drink and listen to live music. If you wanted something more specific I’m sure there’s the Beatles links, I’m not sure but there’s probably some Beatles themed bars if you’d into that
Yeah I've heard there's a lot of Beatles things... however, I'm not their biggest fan 😬

I'll do some research tho. Hopefully, although we are there on a Sunday, some places will be open. I'm happy just wandering around

I’ve never cruised on a ship before. I’m quite looking forward to it.

Le Havre is fine. It’s not as pretty as the others but plenty to wander about and do for a day. Just go to a really nice French restaurant for a properly lovely lunch with lovely wine and that’s half your day sorted.

I’ve never cruised on a ship before. I’m quite looking forward to it.

Le Havre is fine. It’s not as pretty as the others but plenty to wander about and do for a day. Just go to a really nice French restaurant for a properly lovely lunch with lovely wine and that’s half your day sorted.
Cruising is really fun, you're basically on holiday the minute you set food on the ship, especially if you have the drinks package.

I've never done Virgin but would like it.

We can do a trip to Paris when we do Le Harve but I think we spent the whole day travelling and have about two hours there, so not really worth it.

Paris is easy enough to get to by Eurostar. Explore Le Havre- find a good restaurant on Tripadvisor and splash the cash there instead. Far more worth it.

Mr Sheena has booked us a trip somewhere for my birthday, but happening in December and I am almost guaranteeing it will be a ferry to France as I’m desperate to go.

LA GLAMOUR.

I don't know why, but I've never been to France, except when I drove through it to get to Spain. And it's so easy for me to get to.

Considering where you live and how easy it is, that's ridiculous! You can get a (foot passenger) ferry for £100 return if you look hard enough.

And Caen and (particularly) St Malo are well worth a trip away.

Entirely selfishly, the thing about Brexit I miss most is doing Eurotunnel to Dover to buy booze. If you spent £250 in Majestic Wine, they'd give you a free ticket. Cause I worked away so much, I'd get my tenth night free with Hotels.com and so we'd go down, free petrol on the company, free Eurotunnel to Calais, free hotel, have a mooch around the Saturday market, a delightful Saturday lunch, book this amazing restaurant in Calais for the evening where they began to even know us by name because we went so often, buy the £250 booze (which was often loads for friends as even I'd struggle getting through that lot a few times a year) and come back on the Sunday with a car full of wine, cheese and French records from the local second hand shop.

ALL FOR FREE!

I MISS IT SO MUCH :(

Hamburg has a quirky miniature museum that we found quite amusing.
I bloody loved that museum. All my friends were thinking it was going to be fucking shit but it was fucking amazing.

When are you going @Rachey ? The Xmas market on the Reeperbahn ("the horniest Xmas market") might have started by then, free festive strip shows for all and dildo stalls replacing the usual Xmas tat. It's all done with a big knowing wink and was a lot of fun.

I loved Hamburg, although it was 2005 or 2006 when we went. The thing I remember most is the Planten un Blomen park which was a riot of colour as it was late spring and the azaleas and rhododendrons in particular were spectacular. And there was a great Japanese garden as well.

We went to the Reeperbahn once and decided that was more than enough.

We spent a lot of time eating and drinking in the Portuguese Quarter. And we saw a production of Mamma Mia! in German :square:

I agree with @funky that generally it's a vibe type of place rather than a sightseeing one though, and you probably need a few days there for it to get under your skin.

Bruges is undoubtedly very pretty, but I'd never feel the need to go there again. It feels too much like a theme park. I'd jump on the train and spend some time in Antwerp or Ghent instead, both of which have the same pockets of loveliness but are bustling cities in their own right, where you feel like life actually happens, rather than just tourists being coached in, sent around the canals on dozens of boats and then sent home so the city can close at 7pm.

Considering where you live and how easy it is, that's ridiculous! You can get a (foot passenger) ferry for £100 return if you look hard enough.

And Caen and (particularly) St Malo are well worth a trip away.
I know! Mandy said that. I think we're going to do it next year.

I bloody loved that museum. All my friends were thinking it was going to be fucking shit but it was fucking amazing.

When are you going @Rachey ? The Xmas market on the Reeperbahn ("the horniest Xmas market") might have started by then, free festive strip shows for all and dildo stalls replacing the usual Xmas tat. It's all done with a big knowing wink and was a lot of fun.
We sail on 11th November, I think we might be slightly early for the Christmas markets from what I've seen?

I loved Hamburg, although it was 2005 or 2006 when we went. The thing I remember most is the Planten un Blomen park which was a riot of colour as it was late spring and the azaleas and rhododendrons in particular were spectacular. And there was a great Japanese garden as well.

We went to the Reeperbahn once and decided that was more than enough.

We spent a lot of time eating and drinking in the Portuguese Quarter. And we saw a production of Mamma Mia! in German :square:

I agree with @funky that generally it's a vibe type of place rather than a sightseeing one though, and you probably need a few days there for it to get under your skin.

Bruges is undoubtedly very pretty, but I'd never feel the need to go there again. It feels too much like a theme park. I'd jump on the train and spend some time in Antwerp or Ghent instead, both of which have the same pockets of loveliness but are bustling cities in their own right, where you feel like life actually happens, rather than just tourists being coached in, sent around the canals on dozens of boats and then sent home so the city can close at 7pm.
We LOVED Antwerp, it was beautiful.

Maybe we will avoid the canals if they're that touristy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom