Interesting/ annoying things about the UK

Depends on what part of London you're in really.
I lived there for several years and actually lots of Londoners are very friendly and approachable. (Certainly more so I would say than Parisians
:eyes:
hi @Dark Carnival )

In fact, in my experience, the rudest people in London tend to be the tourists/visitors.
Tourists! I know they are ‘good for the economy’ or whatever, but I had to go to Covent Garden today and it was like Dante’s Inferno.

Depends on what part of London you're in really.
I lived there for several years and actually lots of Londoners are very friendly and approachable. (Certainly more so I would say than Parisians
:eyes:
hi @Dark Carnival )

In fact, in my experience, the rudest people in London tend to be the tourists/visitors.

I’d say the rudest people anywhere tend to be the tourists!

Is it now OK to say that the rudest people I’ve ever encountered are Russians

Closely followed by Chinese people but I’ll keep that quiet for now

Tourists! I know they are ‘good for the economy’ or whatever, but I had to go to Covent Garden today and it was like Dante’s Inferno.

If you are from London or know enough about it, you know that CG is 'for' tourists

It's by no means WIDESPREAD, but I've noticed a peculiarity amongst some otherwise well-spoken British people to insert unnecessary "sort of"s into sentences. Here's an example of it from an EXORCIST.

It's by no means WIDESPREAD, but I've noticed a peculiarity amongst some otherwise well-spoken British people to insert unnecessary "sort of"s into sentences. Here's an example of it from an EXORCIST.

Having edited hours of subtitles of my own speech, I realised I do this a lot, and “kind of”. I only just realised this is almost synonymous with “like” that everyone complains about (particular the type of people who use “sort of”)

Ooh am I well-spoken then? :o

If you are from London or know enough about it, you know that CG is 'for' tourists
I have lived in London for more than a decade, so I know that, but needs must.

It’s extremely common, moreso among Londoners. People do it a LOT in meetings. You can file it next to like, basically, literally, for various filler speak that I find annoying.

adding 'like' to every sentence is a real bugbear of mine. I notice it especially with well spoken girls in London. Cos like, every, like thing, they like, say has like in it, because, like, they are so tired and like busy at the moment like literally, exhausted.

If only it was just a London thing.

I'd agree that it's more of a girl thing. I hadn't considered the well spoken thing, but thinking about it that may be true here as well.

I know an old woman who used 'like' all the time. It wasn't very becoming.

So saying sort of is bad too? I’ve noticed I sometimes use it instead of ”like” thinking it sounds better.

I'm quite partial to starting a sentence with "I mean", which is obviously a useless pairing of words. it's just, you know, seasoning darling.

I love all fillers that are words and use a lot of them in both languages.
What I don't like and try not to do is using audio fillers such as the ahmmm... and eeeerrr...

Misuse of “literally” annoys me way more than the rest.
I know language evolves, but I’ve recently heard that the common misuse of “literally” has actually changed the meaning to be acceptable to use to emphasise a statement :(

I've given up on literally, as much as I still hate hearing or reading it.

And there are plenty of words we all use happily (awful and nice spring to mind)which used to mean something quite different.

Better to just sit with gritted teeth and silently judge.

"on accident" makes me DIE INSIDE.

It used to be an American only thing, but I've seen and heard it happening more frequently amongst brits now

I think the last half page as nicely demonstrated one aspect of Britishness I’ve never really liked - this weird superiority about language, especially vs American English.

(With you on “literally” though)
Not really sure what people are supposedly to use for conversation fillers if all the candidates here are unacceptable?

I say “like” all the time and I wish I didn’t but it’s hard to stop

I have no problem with literally, not that it’s something I use, but i’m very much pro ANY KIND OF HYPERBOLE.

I used to enjoy HYPERBOWL but now it's just the new way of talking about everything so it's pretty toothless these days

This topic needs to be split @Administrator

We haven’t even scratched the surface on the bastardisation of language

One of the main reasons I keep coming back to moopy is that you all speak proper :evil:

This topic needs to be split @Administrator

We haven’t even scratched the surface on the bastardisation of language

One of the main reasons I keep coming back to moopy is that you all speak proper :evil:

I do notice a number of people still grappling with the past participle though

“I should have went somewhere else”

I am absolutely SHIT with foreign languages. My brain could never quite grasp the principles of learning anything that had completely different syntax to English. I hugely admire people who have a natural talent for picking up languages.

For the multi-lingual people here - do other languages get revised by general population due to a lack of understanding/education over how to use words properly, to the extent it does with English?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom