Jessie Ware - Free Yourself + That! Feels Good! (album 5)

oh, well by contrast I think this is an easy challenger for AOTY. it's fucking magic front to back. and it just BREEZES by so it's simply impossible not to listen in full.

she's my favourite popstar at this point (tied with Lana). unbelievable quality control. she's really giving me everything I kinda always wished Kylie would from about 2007 onwards.

I actually was going to come in today to say that I love this album more and more. I've kinda dismissed the camp tracks I mentioned but still enjoy them in the context of the album, but I've taken the other 4 or 5 new songs with me onto my current playlist and they're STILL growing - the thing that is jumping out more and more is the natural evolution of her sound, because most if not all of these tracks, barring maybe Free Yourself, could fit onto WYP with some production adjustments. They're of the same ilk but she's gone from late Donna Summer to early Donna Summer, rewound ten years simply by using more strings, more horns, swapped the electro for the funk and layered in those 70s style backing vocals. I live!

Also the lyrics on These Lips... Jessica you filthy bitch! :disco:

Someone of Jessie's level would get two songs normally. Arlo Parks and Hozier did two last week.

I hope for Begin Again and Hello Love.

The act who opens and closes the show gets 2 songs

Don’t they still do the long edit and short edit of the show, I think there used to be a repeat on Sundays? They show a longer version and everyone gets 2 songs.

Beautiful People is a truly superior banger. I remain completely, play it daily in full obsessed with this album.

if I'm out a lot and I don't get to play it (nightmare), the next play always feels like such a delicious TREAT! Hello Love has been slaying me on the regular during these hot sunny days. I'm thinking potentially album of the year so far...

updated RATE since this album continues to be my PRIMARY REASON to WAKE UP EACH MORNING :disco:

08 That! Feels Good
08 Free Yourself
08.5 Pearls
10 Hello Love
09.5 Begin Again
10 Beautiful People
09 Freak Me Now
09 Shake the Bottle
08.5 Lightning
11 These Lips

08 That! Feels Good
10 Free Yourself
08 Pearls
10 Hello Love
10 Begin Again
07 Beautiful People
08 Freak Me Now
07 Shake the Bottle
11 Lightning
10 These Lips

The sunnier weather has helped this, particularly Begin Again which took a while for me. It's definitely the daylight to What's Your Pleasure's nighttime. Shake The Bottle and Pearls (I see why they went for it) still feel like "camp over substance" blips.

I've only managed a single listen so far.
well TRY AGAIN SIS! wait for a sunny day and blast it. I think you'll come to love it. if you don't, you clearly don't want that oochie-coochie or the in-between. IYKWIM.

I absolutely LOVE Shake the Bottle! I can't help but quim at @ "BENNY WANTS what BENNY GETS, broken HEARTS and CIGARETTES" :disco: :disco: :disco: this woman is truly m-word.

08 That! Feels Good
10 Free Yourself
07 Pearls
10 Hello Love
10 Begin Again
08 Beautiful People
10 Freak Me Now
09 Shake the Bottle
09 Lightning
09 These Lips

Freak Me Now for the next single please

discussing the sound of the next album

jessie.jpeg

I got a notification for the Single Version on Spotify but I didn't get anything for Taylor :basil: It knows me WELL.

I've been playing Hello Love lots the last week, I just needed a reminding of how good it is.

Such a classy number, I'm so glad it is having its little moment.

Saw her at Homobloc last night she was of course phenomenal and closed her set with a cover of Cher’s Believe. Iconic.

My whole insta stories this weekend has been homobloc manc, i'm sooo old, but also so glad I wasn't there

I’ve been dead today. Rough as toast. Thankfully I have winter pride Gran Canaria tomorrow to recover

How was it? I am going Saturday ALLY PALLY

She did the new single on Graham Norton last night

She was fucking incredible.

She has the audience in the palm of her hand all night. There is a slow section in the middle, but because she had created this sort of “welcome to my secret back room cabaret” atmosphere it all worked. Lots of audience interaction and participation.

The biggest reactions were for Freak Me Now, Begin Again, Remember Where You Are, Free Yourself, Spotlight and the Cher cover. It was VERY new album heavy - I’m not normally a fan of tours when they play every song from a new album at the expense of some signature tunes, but I will say that the T!FG album is absolutely made to perform live - every song was elevated by the performance of her and the band.

I think she’s straining her voice a bit on the tour and hopefully she’ll be fine for the rest of it - she sounds slightly scratchy on the quieter notes, but she never missed a note, hit all the big notes easily and sounded absolutely flawless.

I’ve seen her before so was not surprised but the thing you really notice is that she is born to be on the stage. A natural in every sense. And considering she’s not at the level of the icons, the effect she has on some gays is crazy, they really do worship her like they’re witnessing Streisand or something. And a really varied audience which was nice. All ages, lots of women.

We even SHARED OXYGEN at one point when she came through the crowd, I’ll see if I can share the video :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom