Joe Lycett "destroys" £10k to highlight David Beckham's relationship with Qatar

On the money?

• Total voters
I'm well disposed towards Lycett but I think this is a misfire. The optics on destroying money are always, always bad but to do it now is tin-eared. I absolutely agree with his overall point him but picking on one person and threatening to destroy cash is not good.

I'm going to assume he'll have had some fake money printed up for the stunt itself. Surely?

I'm going to assume he'll have had some fake money printed up for the stunt itself. Surely?
I would have thought so but he's known for going all-in. He's changed his name legally to Hugo Boss and then there's the whole saga laid out in his last live show (which is now up on his website, I believe - EDIT, no it's a tenner to download it...)

I'm well disposed towards Lycett but I think this is a misfire. The optics on destroying money are always, always bad but to do it now is tin-eared. I absolutely agree with his overall point him but picking on one person and threatening to destroy cash is not good.
Yes, I fear he's bitten off more than he can chew with this. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong, though.

I don’t really get it either - so if Beckham supports this homophobic regime’s event (bad for gays), Joe will burn gay charity money (also bad for gays)?

Especially as I’m sure Beckham will go through with it. And what if he decides to donate some money to gay charities after that? :D

Yes it doesn’t sit fully well with me. His overall point is very good, but it’s nearly a bit threatening and demanding in a way that it doesn’t need to be - simply call David out should you wish to.

I know a few people who have worked with him and they've all had very nice things to say!

I’m going to say he probably won’t end up actually shredding the cash. It would be quite out of character for him to misjudge something in that way.

I would have thought so but he's known for going all-in. He's changed his name legally to Hugo Boss and then there's the whole saga laid out in his last live show (which is now up on his website, I believe - EDIT, no it's a tenner to download it...)
I’m tempted, is it worth it?

Yeah, as much as it was right to put Beckham under scrutiny for accepting that dirty cash, it should have been obvious that Beckham would just ignore him, so Lycett ended up backing himself into a corner where he himself now looks a bit grubby, sad and wasteful.

Noble intent I'm sure, but horribly thought through.

I mean I suppooooose if there’s a backlash he could say “lol it wasn’t real money, here’s £10k that I’ll donate” but I’m not sure that’ll make it less of a weird exercise.

And then what if Beckham donates £100k after the World Cup?

Also it was never gonna work, even if David did want to back out of his Qatar deal I’m sure he’s in a pretty iron clad contract he can’t just saunter out of, plus he has his wife’s failing fashion business to prop up.

Bad call. He could technically recover the money and pay a fine for destroying the currency.

How can Victoria's business be failing when Eva Longoria has been snapped in one of her sensible wrap dresses at least twice this year? It doesn't add up :(

I could tell from the moment this was announced there was no way Beckham would engage with it. The numbers just didn't stack up - both in terms of the amount of money being destroyed (not enough), or the social media reach that this would get (still relatively small, even if it gets 100,000+ views).

I feel like the vast majority of people who will have engaged with this stunt are PROBABLY rather aware of what Lycett was trying to raise awareness about in the first place, and the people that weren't have probably ended up repelled by the money shredding and have doubtful read up further.
It's also probably going to be completely forgotten by tomorrow ANYWAY (I had indeed forgotten Lycett was even planning to do this until this morning).

Noble action sure, but not sure it's the right execution. I doubt many people (JK Rowling aside) would have been mad had he not just pledged it to Mermaids or his local food bank instead.

Last edited:
:WellThereWeAre:

And somehow I still think it was a bad call

I have to vehemently disagree with you on this. It HAS got people talking about it. We're talking about the topic on several threads here, and it's all over the internet, with both positive and negative views . Joe has a certain style that can be quite polarising to many people but he knows what he is doing.

Tbh whilst I always expected that the £10k would be a fake out, even if it wasn't it would have been worth the publicity alone.

I'm team GOOD CALL

He could have spent 10k on PR easily enough and not raised the same publicity.

So I'm siding with good call as well.

I still think it's a misfire. Blackmail followed by a stunt designed to make people feel angry for 24 hours. I expect better from him than this.

Bad call.

Yes - it's got people talking, and yes it's generating more publicity than £10k would usually buy.

However, it's also got everybody focusing on and asking the wrong question. Joe is attracting as much, if not more, scrutiny than Beckham. Instead of continuing to hold Beckham to account, most people are instead debating whether a celebrity ripping up cash is a good look.

I haven’t watched the video but it reeks of annoying self righteousness. I don’t know who this person is but these kind of performances never do it for me.

there's just no logic to it. a celeb got paid millions in blood money so I'll burn some perfectly good cash and livestream it. what's the connection?

However, it's also got everybody focusing on and asking the wrong question. Joe is attracting as much, if not more, scrutiny than Beckham. Instead of continuing to hold Beckham to account, most people are instead debating whether a celebrity ripping up cash is a good look.

It’s not Joe’s fault that people are focusing on the wrong question, if anything, this highlights the issue he is trying to highlight. That people like Beckham can get away with much more than he can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom