Joe Lycett "destroys" £10k to highlight David Beckham's relationship with Qatar

On the money?

• Total voters
I dont think there is logic necessarily, or any sort of symmetry to the issue at hand. Except that if you want to get your point seen by lots of people that don't already agree with you, and to have it discussed on the panel shows and in the papers, you often need to do something to rile people up, or to tie it to some banal celebrity. Or BOTH!

At the end of the day, a lot more people have seen this and heard about it than if he spent 10k on Facebook ads. And a bunch of LGBT charities got the money instead of evil Mark Zuckerberg.

But who talked about Facebook ads?

Just an example of another way to spend £10k to get attention. Replace with billboards/postcards/a small army of town criers/whatever else takes your fancy!

It’s not Joe’s fault that people are focusing on the wrong question, if anything, this highlights the issue he is trying to highlight. That people like Beckham can get away with much more than he can.

But it was inevitable that people would focus on the wrong question.

Highlighting the issue does no good if the public opinion ultimately turns against you. It just lets Beckham and the like off the hook.

But it was inevitable that people would focus on the wrong question.

Highlighting the issue does no good if the public opinion ultimately turns against you. It just lets Beckham and the like off the hook.
I mean, the bar is "Was it better than doing nothing?". By that measure, it definitely was. Plenty of people know more about Beckham and Qatar than if Lycett had done nothing, and no one has come out of this feeling that it has gone in Beckham's favour.

Apologies as I know opinions on this are TERRIBLY YESTERDAY, but a local grassroots homeless charity I sometimes volunteer with were genuinely heartbroken after the shredding video came out as they going through a vicious (and never ending cycle) of begging for donations to keep going - some of which just goes on storage so they can continue their operation.
I'm sure it's the same for a lot of charities in the UK, but they seemed to take it quite personally that money would be shredded so VERY PLEASED this wasn't the case in the end.

On balance I certainly agree this was a much better way of getting the message out than spending 10K on marketing or advertising. Someone mentioned Facebook ads in this thread, which would gobble 10K up at the most alarming rate and leave you with barely anything to show for it.

Depressing to see a lot of the backlash aimed at Joe himself.

Shaz Bags will be furious when she sees there's no 3rd Bootie Call option in this poll :basil:

(I'll get my coat - or maybe just pinch one)

On balance I certainly agree this was a much better way of getting the message out than spending 10K on marketing or advertising.
but... what message? if you polled 10,000 people about this stunt, would there be any consensus about the "message"?

everybody knows Beckham is a cunt for this Qatar deal already. so I'm struggling to see what Joe has allegedly raised awareness of here. and if you have to come out after and say don't worry guys the cash wasn't real!! then... for what was any of this? it's stunt queenery and it feels beneath somebody who is so naturally funny and politically astute.

but... what message? if you polled 10,000 people about this stunt, would there be any consensus about the "message"?

everybody knows Beckham is a cunt for this Qatar deal already. so I'm struggling to see what Joe has allegedly raised awareness of here. and if you have to come out after and say don't worry guys the cash wasn't real!! then... for what was any of this? it's stunt queenery and it feels beneath somebody who is so naturally funny and politically astute.

Well yeah...I broadly agree with you. I'm struggling to form a solid opinion on this in black and white myself to be honest.
As I said earlier in this thread, noble gesture - bad execution.

everybody knows Beckham is a cunt for this Qatar deal already. so I'm struggling to see what Joe has allegedly raised awareness of here.
I didn't know anything about it until Joe's video.

I don’t think everyone knew about the deal at all. Joe highlighted the issue that some allies are only allies when it suits them. For their own benefit.

I only found out about the Beckham deal because I saw Joe Lycetts video on Tiktok, so I do think he's at least raises awareness of Beckham being a money obsessed twat 🤷🏻‍♀️

For some reason I hope Beckham would back down and change his mind, he seemed to be adored by the public after queueing up to see the Queen, then he goes and ruins it all by doing this.

I only found out about the Beckham deal because I saw Joe Lycetts video on Tiktok, so I do think he's at least raises awareness of Beckham being a money obsessed twat 🤷🏻‍♀️

For some reason I hope Beckham would back down and change his mind, he seemed to be adored by the public after queueing up to see the Queen, then he goes and ruins it all by doing this.
Do you really think he's ruined anything? I mean I HOPE so, but I don't think the majority of people really give a shit.

Do you really think he's ruined anything? I mean I HOPE so, but I don't think the majority of people really give a shit.
Ruined may be an exaggeration. But I think a certain group of people may go off him now. I've never been a huge fan, I was impressed by him when he queued to see the Queen, now I'm shocked by him. I'm sure he will upset to learn this.

The Tories are such trolls that they'll pick this moment to knight him for being such a wonderful ambassador for the UK. :manson:

I think he has misjudged this and it is disappointing but is it the title of “ambassador for Qatar” that is the issue generally here and the size and length of the deal? I’m curious as I don’t remember (I could be wrong) any backlash with Kylie performing there for £33K per minute to launch Qatar Airlines or a huge fuss with Sex and the City 2 being essentially an advert for Dubai tourism. There’s plenty of other examples.

Pop stars have been flying under the radar taking the big bucks to perform for these regimes for years. You have to wonder if we're reaching a tipping point where they're going to find themselves catching a lot more heat for it...

Pop stars have been flying under the radar taking the big bucks to perform for these regimes for years. You have to wonder if we're reaching a tipping point where they're going to find themselves catching a lot more heat for it...
Well hopefully, as picking and choosing who gets the heat based on how popular they are in the community isn’t a good look which is why I was wondering if it’s the ambassador role that tipped the boat here or if there’s a genuine sea change.

Well hopefully, as picking and choosing who gets the heat based on how popular they are in the community isn’t a good look which is why I was wondering if it’s the ambassador role that tipped the boat here or if there’s a genuine sea change.
I do think the David Beckham thing is an order of magnitude worse than just performing in these countries. This is what is going up on YouTube, it is blatant PR for them.

1669205953418.png

I do think the David Beckham thing is an order of magnitude worse than just performing in these countries. This is what is going up on YouTube, it is blatant PR for them.

View attachment 14243
I don't think it's worse, it's exactly the same. whether you're doing a tourism ad or performing a pop show is neither here nor there. you either take money from the regime or you don't. Kylie and others who perform private shows in any of these Gulf nations should expect to be held to account going forward.

View attachment 14243
Yes, it’s a whole bunch of levels up from Kylie launching Qatar airlines for sure or Dannii doing Emirates air adverts (I love both Minogues so am not having a bash here) but ultimately it’s still all promo for these regimes and hopefully more will have a harder think about these endorsements from here on in.

But IS advertising an airline and advertising tourism really that different? I mean no prizes for guessing where Qatar airlines fly to
it's ok because she's a gay icon and the video was camp 😇 🇶🇦 fly Qatar, queers!!! :disco:

I know you’re kidding but the Kylie example was not given to start a bash fest :kim: I find the now outraged queens previously posting on Insta with their champagne flutes and designer gift bags in Dubai to show how decadent, affluent and fun they are just like the SATC ladies (in their heads) equally problematic. Hopefully this makes celebs and tourists rethink their choices at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom