Labour: The Keir Starmer years

Sir Keir's won - are you happy with this outcome?

• Total voters
What a fucking mess. The speaker is apologising and someone is yelling Sue Gray at him.

What a mess. The political classes centering themselves and their precious procedural matters over the actual matter in hand. No wonder people look at all this and despair.

Hours away from the biggest rebellion of his leadership, Starmer decided to intervene personally and visited Hoyle in his office behind the House of Commons chamber.
After a tense meeting, and with Labour MPs desperately stalling inside the chamber, Hoyle eventually agreed.
“We came minutes away from disaster,” said one senior Labour official. “Thank God for Lindsay Hoyle.”
Another account of the Speaker giving in to political pressure from Labour, so they could avoid a rebellion.

Elsewhere, the Tory's pantomime was to avoid their own rebellion

STURGEON YOUSAF MUST RESIGN, though :eyes:

I don’t see why anyone should be calling for Yousaf’s resignation. I’d imagine he’s absolutely furious with the Westminister party tonight. Good God, they just got politically outmanoeuvred by KIER STARMER, of all people.

I don’t see why anyone should be calling for Yousaf’s resignation.
It's a thing up here, when Sturgeon was first minister, people called for her resignation if she so much as coughed. (This was before the motorhome et. al. gave good cause)

Another account of the Speaker giving in to political pressure from Labour, so they could avoid a rebellion.
You’ve deliberately missed out the reason behind the intervention - the safety and security of MPs who have received multiple threats.

The Speakers decision empowered parliament to reach a consensus on the issue at hand. The reaction by the SNP shows that wasn’t their intention in any way.

You’ve deliberately missed out the reason behind the intervention - the safety and security of MPs who have received multiple threats.

The Speakers decision empowered parliament to reach a consensus on the issue at hand. The reaction by the SNP shows that wasn’t their intention in any way.

These threats?

Spare me the whataboutery
Yes the whataboutery of a Labour politician making jumped up claims about threats to his safety the same day Labour politicians pressured the speaker to get them out a political bind by claiming threats to safety.

:eyes:

Not more left on left violence mopsy

There’s far more important people to destroy at the moment!
I'll resist the urge to comment on Labour's leftness, but just point out that the behaviour of the future prime minister and his party should absolutely be scrutinised. Particularly when the future leader of the house of commons seems to be weaponising safety issues in a way that could shut down legitimate debate. (I only heard a short clip on the radio though, maybe in fullness it sounds more reasonable)

I'll resist the urge to comment on Labour's leftness, but just point out that the behaviour of the future prime minister and his party should absolutely be scrutinised. Particularly when the future leader of the house of commons seems to be weaponising safety issues in a way that could shut down legitimate debate. (I only heard a short clip on the radio though, maybe in fullness it sounds more reasonable)

I'm not talking about the politicians (they absolutely should always be scrutinised) I'm talking about moopers taking on each other rather than focusing on the more important goal of destroying the Tories once and for all

We are SO CLOSE :BList:

Post a thought-provoking picture of Rachel Reeves
1709556071238.png

She looks like she's not going to let you in unless you've got 30p to use the facilities.

The shorter her bob gets the more evil she exudes. If it’s above her ears when they get into government we’re in TROUBLE!

I always had blur down as being quite tory.
Nah, they were all Labour in the 90s and Damon was publicly sceptical of Blair, declining an invitation to the event where people like Alan McGee and Noel Gallagher went and supped champers and had their photos taken with him at No 10. Alex James seems to be a little further to the right these days, saying that he couldn't vote for Corbyn and committing the ultimate offence of not punching David Cameron when he turned up as James's "Feastival" or whatever its called but there's no evidence that he actually voted Conservative at any point.

Some apparent clarity on Labour's ongoing stance towards LGBTQ, particularly trans rights.

I’m sure another Labour figure will come out and say the exact opposite later today.

Well Angela Eagle seems hold some sway within the party, and will hopefully have a position where she can effect positive change, with a majority to support it.

Nah, they were all Labour in the 90s and Damon was publicly sceptical of Blair, declining an invitation to the event where people like Alan McGee and Noel Gallagher went and supped champers and had their photos taken with him at No 10. Alex James seems to be a little further to the right these days, saying that he couldn't vote for Corbyn and committing the ultimate offence of not punching David Cameron when he turned up as James's "Feastival" or whatever its called but there's no evidence that he actually voted Conservative at any point.

Somewhat OT, but we did some work at that 'Feastival' a couple of years ago. I remember there were constant stories of the "creepy farmer" who owned the site plucking girls of his choice from the crowd in the big dance area, by asking security to get them, with offers of drugs etc, and taking said girl upstairs for...whatever.
One girl we worked with was chosen and refused and the barmaids told her how glad they were she said no.
We decided to go out with her on the last night, and as I looked up, looming high above the crowd was a man with the most sinister expression scanning the room below. I asked our colleague if that was said creepy farmer, and it was, and I recognised it was Alex James.
Obviously I can't say for certain (pretty damn certain mind) but I'll never forget that look surveying the crowd, it was frightening.

So if I'm not mistaken on any of that, it might track that he might not be the...nicest person.

Her sister is Isabel Oakeshott, right wing rent-a-gob and wife of Reform UK founder Richard Tice. :eyes:

Well, I wouldn't assume a shared politic but I would have thought that a security issue more than anything else.

As well as a demonstration of how the political class is narrowing, of course.

You can’t choose your siblings.

Veronica was recently a Newham councillor - hardly a hotbed for the Labour right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom