Rate it

• Total voters

Hak

User
Never Give Up

Rehearsal

1min Audio Snippet

Controversy
Swedish journalists are getting upset over how cynically the MF crew is spoon-feeding her story to the public. One example is that she's been the only artists where journalists was prepped through SVT going through her life story just before them getting to hear her snippet.

About Maria
Maria Sur participated in Ukraine's The Voice and was one of the favourites before fleeing in the wake of the Russian invasion. She's been living in Sweden pretty much since the start of the war and now speaks pretty fluent Swedish. Through diligent effort she finally got in contact with one Swedish celebrity, Sarah Dawn Finer who got her into a national benefit concert for Ukraine and now into Melfest.

About the song creation
Curiously for such a personal ballad, Maria is not credited as one of the songwriters. When asked why she's very upfront about the creative process behind Never give up. It's clear from various interviews that even though she's not written anything herself she's been involved in the creative process from start to finish and that this song has always been intended for her.

"I'm very thankful to Anders and Laurell for this song. At first we got the music from Anders Wrethov with the song title Never Give Up. We met with him before and he knew my story and we know each other. When I first heard the music I was literally crying because it's so touchful for me, I just feel all the emotions that I had inside. After this I just called to Laurell and I told her my hole history. I told her what I see in this song, what it means for me and I think what she felt for this was 100% right and the lyrics is just me."

Never give up - Lyrics
I hear the voice I have inside
Even though I’m caught inside a storm
I know I deserve a better life
Even though I really miss my home

Baby I’m not gonna break
I won’t fall under the weight
Always gonna hold my ground

When I’m standing in the rain
No one’s gonna save me from the pain
I will never, never give up
When I’m crying out in chains
I don’t have surrender in my veins

What you got is a fighter
And I’ll walk through the fire
I will never, never, never
Give up

I don’t wanna tame the beast inside
Telling me take what’s truly mine

Baby I’m not gonna break
I won’t fall under the weight
Always gonna hold my ground

When I’m crying out in chains
I don’t have surrender in my veins

What you got is a fighter
And I’ll walk through the fire
Give up

When I’m crying in the rain
No one’s gonna heal me from the pain

Oh oh
Oh

Give up

Last edited:
The song is nice enough and she oozes star quality, weak point being the 100% Barker lyrics. I think it's a grower.

[verse 1]
I hear the voice I have inside
Even though I’m caught inside a storm
I know I deserve a better lie
Even though I really miss my home

Coming out of semi-retirement to say this is brilliant and everything I wanted (but didn’t get) from Ukraine last year

It really needs a LONG ASCENDING AD LIB in the final 20 seconds but it's fine, I'm sure they'll add it into the Eurovision version if need be

It really needs a LONG ASCENDING AD LIB in the final 20 seconds but it's fine, I'm sure they'll add it into the Eurovision version if need be
If it doesn't mean changing the backing track I assume she could do that in the Melfest final too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom