Mariah Carey & Miguel - Beautiful

I like when you run red lights, don't stop till you thrill me, OH HOW YOU THRILL ME

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

POP!

Let the light in
It's ten years old in a few months. Easily the best single she gave us in the 2010s. Just a summery, feel good pop moment and perfect for her at the time. What do we rate it ten years on?

it almost felt like it was going to set her up for another Emancipation, shame about the album that followed.

Music Video Diva GIF

I agree but let’s be honest she didn’t give it to us. She might be labelled the lead but she makes a cameo on a Miguel song.

But yeah, her best song of the decade and should have been bigger at the time but momentum was not on her side at the time. It was bigger than it had any right to be and the streaming numbers since have shown it’s a keeper in her catalogue.

Her last non-festive gasp of relevancy. She really should have capitalised on it more, I can't even remember what the followup single was.

Amazing. I have no time for people who want to contextualise it negatively ("she didn't capitalise on it; the follow-ups didn't smash" etc.). It was another classic in an enduring career of classics.

LOVE THIS. Too bad she's disowned it innit? I don't think she performs it anymore.

Literally a great MOMENT and it was a promising sign that she was going to start singing in a register that was good for her voice. It’s such a warm September feeling x

Everything about it is brilliant. But I always feel sad when it comes on because its huge potential was wasted during her WORST era.

If they followed this with "You Don't Know What To Do" it could've worked. But they released like five bad singles off that album after "Beautiful".

I agree but let’s be honest she didn’t give it to us. She might be labelled the lead but she makes a cameo on a Miguel song.

But yeah, her best song of the decade and should have been bigger at the time but momentum was not on her side at the time. It was bigger than it had any right to be and the streaming numbers since have shown it’s a keeper in her catalogue.
It still feels like her song to me, just a duet. It was effortlessly current yet classic Mariah.

2013 was really an amazing year for her with this, that body, and American Idol.

Apart from seeing her live in 2014, parts of the Vegas gig, and a few songs from MIAMI TECH, I'm happy to never revisit the 2013-2017 wilderness era.

And I don't know if that era will ever get the Justice4Glitter treatment, because the Glitter Era was CHOCK FULL of drama and iconic scandals. Meanwhile, the latter years gave us, what? Stella, Mariah's World, and that New Year's mess? :zombie:

If they followed this with "You Don't Know What To Do" it could've worked. But they released like five bad singles off that album after "Beautiful".
You Don't Know What to Do is a magnificent song, I love it more than #Beautiful. which is also great vibes, beautiful vibes but not enough mimi.

I think it was a bit ahead of the disco revival trend in pop though, so it probably wouldn't have done much ANYWAY

You Don't Know What to Do is a magnificent song, I love it more than #Beautiful. which is also great vibes, beautiful vibes but not enough mimi.

I think it was a bit ahead of the disco revival trend in pop though, so it probably wouldn't have done much ANYWAY
Maybe, could've fit right in with "Get Lucky" that year (I think it was 2013/2014). Justin was flirting with disco R&B at this point too.

Me I Am Mariah is my favourite Mariah album since Butterfly.

I don't care for noughties Mariah. I don't think this is NEW NEWS on planet funky

are we saying MIAMTEC is not a great album now? the first ten or so tracks are all fucking great. it just belonged to a weird moment in time.

Cry, Faded, Dedicated, Make It Look Good... a majorly better body of work than Memoirs or E=mc2 and that's the tea

07 Cry
05 Faded
10 Dedicated
11#Beautiful
06 Thirsty
05 Make It Look Good
06 You're Mine (Eternal)
09 You Don't Know What To Do
07 Supernatural
09 Meteorite
06 Camouflage
03 Money
06 One More Try
07 Heavenly
07 It's A Wrap
[redacted]
10 The Art Of Letting Go

It's overlong, bloated, and more of a collection of songs than an actual album, but it contains 5 genuinely GREAT songs, and there isn't another album since Butterfly that can say that for me.

It’s funny because funky thinks we know exactly what albums he likes

But we do!

So for me this just works, not least because all involved sound like they're getting a kick out of it. It was just so... easy. It glides and glows. I'm here for the jukebox emotions Chanteuse got me feelin' as Dedicated, You Don't Know What To Do, Meteorite and The Art of Letting Go are all on equal billing for her luxurious unfathomable persona to shine through on. The album has padding, but some of it is as much a hoot as elsewhere suspicious about what to do for a hit. Thirsty strokes her cult with her unique sensibilities at one end and she adds a new page to the great American songbook with Letting Go at the other. The very idea that Mariah is coasting on Christmas - there is as much boundless nuance as there is charisma in every all seconds savoured interview.

Imagine thinking Me I Am is better than Emancipation…I know you’ve already said it but I’m so dumbfounded I had to say it again.

Anyway, it’s a 7/10 but everyone voting 10/10 is just wanting it to be that level because it’s her best of the era. I mean, it’s really as good as We Belong Together/ Vision Of Love/ My All/
The Roof?

NAH…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom