Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 2 - Estonia, Germany & Poland RESULTS

3rd: No Angela - Disappear (154pts)
No-Angels-Live-In-Belgrade-1.jpg

A hometown 8 from Bulgaria for one of the members was all that saved this one from last on the night.

1 x 12 (win_the_game)
2 x 0 (Madison, Queen of the Bay)
They got 12!

Even Andy Abraham didn’t deserve to be beaten by Disappear. They all should have gone to prison.

2nd: Lou - Let’s Get Happy (205pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Game old bird Lou here came third in the German selection in 2001 behind Michelle with a decent slice of camp tat called Happy Birthday that was part of the way there, but didn't quite get the template totally right.

Next time around, she came back and she meant business. Abandoning all pretences of taste and decorum and targeting its audience with an eye on its prey normally only seen in the wild from Carola (“let’s get happy and let’s be gay” for HEAVENS SAKE), this is like three minutes of being beaten to death by a rainbow, and is absolutely everything Scooch entering Eurovision wanted to be done RIGHT. An 11 year old Pen (with more than a slight sense of which tribe he belonged to) was eating it up with a fucking spoon.

I can’t see any sign that this fabulous crone had much of a career after this, but if there’s any justice in the world she’s been getting a good pension honking this one out at Hamburg Pride and in fisting bars in Berlin every single summer since.

7 x 12 (Penelope, Soldi, ZenGiraffe, Kratz, David 5000, Tetris-Rock, Raining On Me)
1 x 1 (win_the_game)

Answering the long-debated question - what if an abattoir did a pop ballad? - it’s No Angels!

The original Hanne Sorvaag demo of this is actually a gorgeous, 'Love Story before Taylor Swift got to it' thing of beauty (those harmonies on the final chorus!), and the actual recorded No Angels version stands up well too (albeit with the weak link over the Hanne demo of taking the path of instantly-dated 2008-style production), but the final performance could barely sound worse had the vocals been the HOWLS OF FURY from Nadja Benaissa’s gentleman callers at the GUM clinic, with all four of the Angels seemingly having been told before they went onstage to find the first notes they could and CLING TO THEM FOR DEAR LIFE, no matter how they sounded.

A hometown 12 from Bulgaria for one of the members was all that saved this one from last on the night, but the recorded version has presumably kept this cacophony closer to Moopy hearts since.

1 x 12 (win_the_game)

Not even a word of pity for noted POWERHOUSE vocalist* Jessica Wahls from my hometown. :(

*hailing from the school of Jenny Frost.

1st: Texas Lightning - No No Never (223pts)
dieser-song-ging-zwar-direkt-ins-ohr-erreichte-aber-dennoch-nur-rang-14-no-no-never-von-texas-lightning-.jpg

An absolutely massive hit in Germany - a #1 that ended up being the second biggest song of the year in the German charts - this one underperformed massively in the contest itself, finishing a mere 14th. The German fans presumably - and understandably - felt a bit chafed by the result, as the track (a lovely wistful little thing) is by all means up to it, and even by 2006 it was getting rare that a Big Four nation would deign to send something actually POPULAR on home soil

But taking a look at the performance, the final finish makes a lot more sense. It's sedate. Not much happens. The camerawork is dull. No less, pretty much everything about the presentation could let the audience get away with thinking they've just got a country song from central casting here. Compared with the camera-work and thought that went into Calm After the Storm’s performance - which really works to tell the story and keep focus on a much more subtle, lowkey song, to much better effect - the contrast is like night and day. Merely standing there and singing the song in a cowboy hat certainly couldn’t cut it anymore by 2006.

Moopy gives the original song its just rewards anyway, sending it into the semi-finals for Germany with an 18-point margin over crows’ feet connoisseur Lou.

11 x 12 (Madison, ButterTart, auretz, Apocalypt Flyer, Ag, Jacques, Ill Advised, Pingu, Kevin, Diddy, dmlaw)
1 x 1 (ZenGiraffe - typical ZenGiraffe bullshit :basil:)

Answering the long-debated question - what if an abattoir did a pop ballad? - it’s No Angels!

The original Hanne Sorvaag demo of this is actually a gorgeous, 'Love Story before Taylor Swift got to it' thing of beauty (those harmonies on the final chorus!), and the actual recorded No Angels version stands up well too (albeit with the weak link over the Hanne demo of taking the path of instantly-dated 2008-style production), but the final performance could barely sound worse had the vocals been the HOWLS OF FURY from Nadja Benaissa’s gentleman callers at the GUM clinic, with all four of the Angels seemingly having been told before they went onstage to find the first notes they could and CLING TO THEM FOR DEAR LIFE, no matter how they sounded.

A hometown 12 from Bulgaria for one of the members was all that saved this one from last on the night, but the recorded version has presumably kept this cacophony closer to Moopy hearts since.

1 x 12 (win_the_game)
Wait, what the fuck did I give my 12 to?

I used to LOVE No No Never SO MUCH. Easily one of my most played songs of the time

I must say I'm a bit bored by both of tonight's winners. Not surprised though.

I listened to the Polish songs this morning and can remember precisely none of them.

@Penelope doing a fine job nevertheless.

Have YOU driven through all the red lights today and committed a brutal and horrifying act of hit and run to Sahlene - Runaway yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom