Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 10: Bulgaria, France & Georgia

Georgia is fun in a WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? kind of way. Whereas with Lithuania you knew EXACTLY what this shit was

I don't have a clue what's going to come out on top for Georgia and I love it.

Georgia was truly a genre bending...experience :side-eye: They'll literally try ANYTHING won't they? Still a heap of shit but there's about 3 I kind of love.

France from mid decade was a pleasure, in an unremarkable sort of way.

My fucking god at Love Unlimited. Equal parts :disco:/:D/:bruised:

VoR I hope you're aware of the responsibility you have during these times

NegligibleCheapGrub-size_restricted.gif

GEORGIA FIRST please - either of the other two work well for a GRAND FINALÉ

Bulgaria

7th: Miro - Angel Si Ti (58pts)

miro-7295527a9aa62a82dd5996588a0950d01928247b-s800-c85.jpg

Y'know what? Having gone through all of these fabulous Bulgarian entries, I've totally come around to the idea that they're due a win. Even the filler like this is thoroughly entertaining, and I only begrudgingly gave it 0 on account of it really being only half a song.

From the Bulgarian pit crew lovingly clinging to his crotch in the opening shot to the fact that I'm pretty sure he (half-successfully) shrink-wrapped his gut to squeeze into that tacky AF all-white ensemble, there's something so delightfully SEEDY about this entry. Miro looks like a man who's been down a few darkened alleys in his lifetime in every sense of the phrase.

But yes, you could've taken the time to write an actual chorus, hun. (and an ending!)

3 x 8 (Ag, Alla, Win the Game)
6 x 0 (VoR, Kalabaliken, Pingu, sewerynsven, Suomi, Raining On Me)

Poor Miro! It really was the solo Alcazar Eurovision entry that's NEVER QUITE BEEN and all the better for all its half-arsedness. QUEEN!

6th: Elitsa & Stoyan - Samo Shampioni (84pts)

maxresdefault.jpg

I sometimes wonder how this one would have been received if it was the only thing we'd ever heard from Elitsa & Stoyan, rather than the obvious poorer cousin of their 2007 classic Voda. It obviously doesn't even come close to those heights, but it's the kind of borderline unlistenable nonsense I have a lot of time for on its own terms.

There's a bit of a fun backstory in which Elitsa & Stoyan were involved in a national selection for this on Bulgarian TV in which they presented three songs. This was quite obviously the one they wanted to win, and the local jury was rigged accordingly, but the Bulgarian public threw a spanner in the works, resulting in another song winning. Not to be deterred, the duo then decided to completely disregard the whole thing and send the song they wanted after all! Democracy!

There's quite a lot to unpack in the stage performance for this - from topless bagpipe man who at some point picks up some kind of native American tribal mask for reasons unclear, to the brilliantly half-hearted backing vocalists who clearly just wanted to get back to their hotel rooms and stick the kettle on. Elitsa remains a thoroughly engaging performer though, and this was actually a comfortable qualifier on televotes, only to be denied a finals spot by the fun-sucking juries placing them dead last. SHAME! But the resultant strop did give us Bulgaria 2.0 so I suppose all's well that ends well.

1 x 12 (sewerynsven)
5 x 0 (Ill Advised, Jacques, Kevin, Kevin7, David_5000)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom