Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 4: Greece, Latvia & Norway - RESULTS!

3rd: Agnete - Icebreaker (112pts)

58ec07a4eaf7196b1dbf05f0a79e46fe--eurovision-norway.jpg

Ever the innovators, Norway followed their 2015 murder ballad by Frankensteining two entirely different songs together for their next effort. It was always going to go one of two ways...

Leaving aside the rather sad narrative around Agnete's participation, I never found the tempo-shift particularly objectionable personally, and her vocals were really very good indeed. I guess it was just quite a lot to take in on the first listen, or perhaps 2 x not enough.

Either way, time has clearly been kind from a Moopy perspective.

3 x 10 (Zu Klara, Penelope, Win The Game)
3 x 1 (Suomi, Jacques, Win The Game)

Which means in a SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT, it's Margo Burger vs kEiNnO :disco:

I can confirm there were just 7 points between them in the end (and YES, everybody's been counted this time...)

Well I got the right top 3. Possibly in order.

Shame about the SHITSTAIN at 4th, but there we go.

I had never before noticed that SuRie may have started a trend of putting capital letters in stupid places.

Winning the semi, finishing 15th in the final. I hate it but how is that possible?

It looks to me as if the unpredictable jury is more to blame - 2nd to 16th.

In comparison he went 3rd to 11th with the public, and out of the ten songs that beat him in the televote in the final, seven either came from the opposite semi or were big 5

4th: Mørland & Debra Scarlett - A Monster Like Me (111pts)

2c04078538d4d5c841d3ee878b84b3a2.jpg

Another fairly gloomy ballad, although with more of an Andrew Lloyd Webber bent than poor wrist-slitty Carl.

I always feel it's a shame this and Goodbye to Yesterday came through in the same year. They must have cancelled each other out a fair bit.

After years of speculation, Mørland finally confirmed recently that the terrible thing he did in his early youth was fist a puppy. So now you know. :)

1 x 12 (Dark Carnival)
1 x 0 (lolly)
You heartless bastards!

It looks to me as if the unpredictable jury is more to blame - 2nd to 16th.

In comparison he went 3rd to 11th with the public, and out of the ten songs that beat him in the televote in the final, seven either came from the opposite semi or were big 5

Oh that semi was much weaker than the first one, I forgot about that.

2nd: KEiiNO - Spirit in the Sky (205pts)

norway-2019-keiino-1.jpg

Close, but sadly no cigar for this Joik-tastic TRIUMPH from last year. A shock televote winner, even if the impact of that was sadly lost in the new voting reveal.

Obviously the cloth-eared juries hated it, but who gives a fuck what they think? This is magnificent, and suffused with the spirit of Eurovision. I suspect it would have won this for most any other country (except Sweden).

8 x 12 (Buttertart, Jacques, Kevin7, David_5000, Penelope, dmlaw, Raining on Me, Pingu)
1 x 1pt (Win The Game)

1st: Margaret Berger - I Feed You My Love (212pts)

Margaret+Berger+Eurovision+Song+Contest+Sweden+1wFOUZlOUxwl.jpg

The ice queen triumphs! :disco:

Long a Moopy favourite even before her Eurovision participation, Margaret delivered and then some in 2013 with this imperious electro epic. It may have been too forward-thinking to go all the way, but 4th for something this aggressive was a more than creditable result. Bonnie Tyler reportedly BAFFLED.

Seriously though, this is everything and we need a million Euronerd march to get it onto Spotify POST HASTE.

11 x 12 (VoR, lolly, Kalabaliken, Kevin, Ag, Win The Game, Alla, Superstylin', sewerynsven, Suomi, Ill Advised)
1 x 0 (Jacques)

You heartless bastards!
My one issue with A Monster Like Me is that the woman has no business being there. She doesn't even sing from her perspective, she just sings his lyrics. She even calls herself a prince during the chorus.

Incidentally, the top two were a genuine win/win. Two of the best songs of the decade.

Anyway it was only THAT and Icebreaker I LIKED! I didn’t bother listening to Mags Burger again but I’m sure I rewarded it generously :)

Thread to TURN SOUR now please. Timing seems to be about right, based on last week’s scrap :disco:

Stand back everyone! I have previously warned you that one of them has a WAND! :shock:

Oh I'm ready for this after party, definitely more interesting than anything Greece or Latvia could come up with over an ENTIRE decade.

One more twist and we’ll be well on our way to Moopy Gold

The pre-chorus “there’s an echo in my head” moments in “This is Love” are some of my favourite bits of music from Eurovision this decade - what a shame it then just stops and a very average chorus takes over. Yes, a damning review of my 12 pointer but I think this exercise has revealed Greece’s report card from the last decade to be quite SHOCKING.

God yes this is exactly it, you get this amazing bridge bit which promises some kind of impending heavenly chorus to come storming in, only for the limp dog that we actually got to arrive instead. And yet still, better than a lot of Greek's output in the last 10 years which really says it all.

I just assumed once their financial woes hit they stopped giving a shit and had no incentive to win or do well until late in the decade.

Much like a lot of songs (most of them let's be honest) I'd forgotten all about Aphrodisiac :disco: A generic joy to be sure but at least Greece appeared to be turning up at least.

I'd have preferred the smoky ethno ballad though. I'm sure smurf hand didn't help matters but it was far too rich and dreamy a song to get instant votes, I doubt even dreamcatchers swinging from her tits and incense sticks wafting from her minge would have pulled in the punters for this one.

Reactions: Zu
Oh poor KeINo or however you spell it :(

Can't we have a special bonus qualifier? I can't think of ANY other song more deserving at this point. I'll take Margaret but come on, Spirit in the Sky is perfection and exactly what the contest needed I think at that point.

Not to ruin all the fun but is there any chance this won't be a Loreen stampede in the inevitable final? Not that you could complain. I suppose Sergey might give her a run for her money.

I doubt even dreamcatchers swinging from her tits and incense sticks wafting from her minge would have pulled in the punters for this one.

:D I think that someone should pop a note through to one of the lesser nations - and yes I am thinking MALTA - to suggest this particular staging for the 2020 Grand Prix :disco:

8th: Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba (79pts)

1 x 0 (Superstylin - clearly a white supremacist)

What a relief we aren't rating 2000-2009 as i would really struggle over which of Andy Abraham, Jade Ewen or Javine to give my null to. :manson:

Is Aminata Latvia’s ONLY decent songwriter..? :D

Surely her time to return must be coming soon. If anybody has a Euphoria up her sleeve to Love Injected’s My Heart Is Refusing Me it’s HER!

In other thoughts, I have an utter HATRED for Norway’s Monster Like Me - AWFUL AWFUL song. And as fun as Spirit In The Sky is, Margaret was clearly the rightful victor :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom