Muriel's Wedding

You're terrible Muriel

• Total voters

JET BOY

PERVERSE
Pffft as far as I'm concerned its probably the best film ever made. And I will not have a word said against it

The amount of times I've caught it accidently on TV and found myself having not moved in about an hour because I couldn't turn it off

AWESOME

PS The Mum at the wedding very nearly made me cry, but didn't as I have a heart of stone

You could at least have spelt it right! :Oi:

But yes, my favourite film EVER and the fact that Toni Collette was not nominated for an Oscar is a CRIME.

I'll give it a 9, as the triumvirate of big Oz filns goes, I much prefer 'Strictly Ballroom', but this is great nonetheless.

Totally agree! My favourite file too, i've watched it so much and still don't get bored! I could see it working really well on stage too! (Has it ever made the transition?)

It's the saddest funny film EVER! :D

Somehow i managed to go ages without seeing this and actually only watched it for the first time about 2 years ago!

I love it though.

Oh I ALWAYS spell it with an A, its because thats how I pronounce it, stupid I know

I love Strictly Ballroom too, but I find the ending a bit silly

Muriel's is all about the supporting cast as well as Toni. Her family, her awful friends and Deidre Chambers were all immense

"You were so FULL of LIFE"
"I'm not DEAD Cheryl..."

I could quote it all day!

Actually I'll tell you my favourite scene in the whole film. It's when her marriage to David is falling apart and he asks her how she could marry for money.

Muriel: You did it
David: I want to win, All my life I wanted to win.
Muriel: Me too

It's just phenomenal acting.

Last edited:
I've always found it quite sad that Muriel never gets married, Mariel does

In a way I quite wanted a happy ending wedding to video shop guy at the end, in a 5 years later flash-forward scene or something, but that would ruin a pretty perfect ending so I think its best they didn't

Is it wrong that I REALLY fancy nerdy video shop guy? :shy:

I think the ending is pretty perfect myself. I like the loose ends. Ultimately Muriel learns not to define her self-worth by the institute of marriage, but by her relationship with a person who TRULY cares for her.

Oh, that sounds really Rainbow flaggy. I'm not suggesting Muriel and Rhonda run off and become lesbians. GOD NO

Last edited:
There was a time when i really wanted a sequel to it, but the ending is perfect really!

Goodbye Porpoise Spit! :D

Oh I love it

Why is Dad on TV?
The inquiry. They're saying he takes bribes.
Does he?
Yeah, but he had to 'cause you stole all our money.

CharJoanie.jpg

It really is a CLASSIC

I could watch it ENDLESSLY

I never thought I would feel so much emotion towards an ABBA SONG

That bit when she starts mouthing the words in the mirror again towards the end :(

and her POOR MOTHER :( :( :(

I think it being set in Australia makes it work all the better/seem a bit funnier than it is too

It just would not work if it was set in Carlisle

Oh, that sounds really Rainbow flaggy. I'm not suggesting Muriel and Rhonda run off and become lesbians. GOD NO

ON THE BRAIN

You hang around lesbians long enough you're going to TURN INTO ONE

I used to be a bit embarrassed by Aussie films, I wasn't sure what overseas viewers would make of the accents, that maybe we'd get typecast as a bit backwards. Crocodile Dundee wasn't exactly representative of what we were really like :bruised:
Muriel was one of the movies, along with Strictly Ballroom, that proved that Aussie films could be just as or more funny & poignant as anyone else's. I love it to death.

The "you're terrible Muriel" actress was in our Celebrity Big Brother.

Last edited:
Sophie Lee was infamous too, for hosting the Bugs Bunny Show.

Last edited:
I REALLY need to watch this again, not seen it for YEARS

then I shall vote

Love it.

Favourite quote: You can't say that to me. I'm married. I'M BEAUTIFUL!

:)

Has she done anything else of note?

To my knowledge, absolutely not. She's funny when she wheels out the "you're terrible Muriel" line, but her range of other characters is a bit embarrassing. She has one that is a teenage boy called Weevil, for example, it's hardly comedy gold.

I liked this, but somewhat overrated maybe.. was a little disappointed. The start of great careers here with Toni Collette and the FABULOUS Rachel Griffiths.. since then Australia has produced so many top class movie actors.

Again, been so long since I've saw it so I'm not rating. Saw it at the time on video. The overuse of ABBA became annoying and touches like "I Do, Do, I Do" played at the wedding were a little obvious and fell a little flat (was an Australian no 1 I suppose). The swimmer guy with the horrible South African accent was hawt - went out with Kylie didn't he? And married the munter off Cold Feet.

Oh, I forgot that wonderful quote: I would rather swallow razor blades than drink with you. :D

I said this to my boss once after he'd just landed me in the shit and thought taking me for a drink would make it alright. He got the last laugh. crap bonus that year. THE BASTARD! :evil:

i was going to rate this a 7 or 8...until i read the comments and remembered how good it was. crackin' film. some of the quotes have made me laugh. i gave it a 9!

OH NO

Bill Hunter is seriously ill, his manager has revealed.

The 71-year-old award-winning Australian actor, who is best known for playing Toni Collette's overbearing father in Muriel's Wedding, has been admitted to a Melbourne hospice as he continues his battle against cancer.

Mark Morrissey told the Today show this morning: "Sadly, he has cancer and it's inoperable. He was admitted to a hospice a couple of days ago."

Hunter is also known for his roles in Newsfront, Strictly Ballroom, The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Gallipoli.

He recently finished filming racing movie The Cup, in which he plays Australian horse trainer Bart Cummings. The film also stars former Home and Away actress Jodi Gordon and ex-Neighbours stars Stephen Curry and Daniel Macpherson.

Last year, Muriel's Wedding was featured in a list naming the movies that best represent Australia. Eric Bana's The Castle was awarded first place.

I'm genuinely really saddened. He's amazing. I love him in Priscilla too.

"Dierdre Chambers, WHAT A COINCIDENCE!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom