Name change for (FYRO) Macedonia?

MACEDONIA IS GREECE!!!!!!!

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
A very niche topic no doubt, but I do love a bit of Balkan geopolitics.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...hopes-rise-as-deal-with-greece-looks-feasible

Short version - the Balkan state of Macedonia has been blocked from joining NATO and the EU ever since achieving independence in 1992, due to an ongoing dispute with Greece over their name - which is shared with the historic Greek birthplace of Alexander The Great. The Greeks see this as an implied threat to their sovereignty in the region and also find Macedonia's (questionable) claims to ancient Greek ancestry inflammatory. Some might say they should just get over it, but it's pretty clear that the unadorned name Macedonia is a line in the sand for them.

Anyway, after years of nationalist provocation and stalemate, it seems like the current Macedonian Prime Minister is open to compromise, and with so much economic and political instability in the region, the EU will doubtless also be pushing for a win here. It'd be another bloody nose for Russia too, who were furious when Montenegro joined NATO a couple of years ago and only really have Serbia as an ally in the region.

Basically, they're going to need to choose a new name if they're ever going to make any progress, and it now looks like this might happen. What would you call them?

I've gone for Upper Macedonia although New Macedonia does bring to mind NEW BACCARA :disco:

None of them really roll off the tongue, but I like how the name New Macedonia makes it sound all shiny and glamorous compared to poxy old Greece. :disco:

Definitely not New Macedonia. I'd prefer Lesser Macedonia or Bulgarian Macedonia. But joking aside, what could those pseudo-Macedonians do? It's not their fault that both their nationality and country is not quite real.

SlavoMacedonia has also been mooted - by Greeks - but the Macedonians would never go in for it as it'd involve rolling back on their origin story.

i've gone for cheadle cause that one totally does roll off the tongue.

Look. You can call this country whatever the hell you like, but until these four brave young women are awarded retrospective Grammys then I'm not interested.

They have no right to the Cheadle name.

Worse than those frauds in Staffordshire.

New Macedonia to bring them a new start in Eurovision, god knows they need it.

So are they not really Macedonians? I don't get it.

Macedonia is a region. Back in classical times it was a Greek region; Alexander the Great was a Greek from Macedonia.

During the Balkan wars in early 1900's when Serbia, Montenegro, Greece and Bulgaria fought the Ottomans, this part of the region went to Serbia, later on Yugoslavia (as the republic of Macedonia).

The idea of a Slavic Macedonian ethnicity was invented by the Serbs/Yugoslavs to prevent Bulgarian claims to the region, because those who call themselves Macedonian today are basically Bulgarians.

To make it even more complicated; more than a third of the population is Albanian.

giphy.gif

I would definitely understand this more if it were explained through Drag Race Queens. I feel like FYRO Macedonia is the Alexis Michelle in here.

Remember that episode where Manila Luzon thought that just because she was Filipino she was allowed to appropriate from all asian culture, and Shangela was like "THIS IS NOT APPROPRIATE"

Manila = Macedonia
Shangela = Greece

That's the closest I can come up with.

They've certainly been as shady as a drag queen by raising a statue of Alexander the Great to piss of the Greeks. :D

Reactions: VoR
Remember that episode where Manila Luzon thought that just because she was Filipino she was allowed to appropriate from all asian culture, and Shangela was like "THIS IS NOT APPROPRIATE"

Manila = Macedonia
Shangela = Greece

Well, with the exception of Manila actually being a Filipino.

Manila = Macedonia
Shangela = Greece

That's definitely much clearer than RS's geopolitical nonsense.

Greece has already proposed a compromise with any of the 3 first options of the poll in the past. It didn't work.
It has also proposed their previous name from before 1941, Vardarska. They didnt want it.
It has also proposed the term Nova Makedonjia for use across all languages which at least rolls off the tongue. They refused.
In terms of historically charming names with a connection to geography, Dardania and Moesia Superior are still available.
Paeonia is already the name of one of Greece's municipalities, namely this one, but am pretty confident they would reject it too.

Last edited:
Moesia Superior is such a fabulous name and should be the obvious choice.

In fact all countries (excluding France) should adapt their previous Roman names.

To avoid controversy, I think the best two options would be Thrace or Scotland.

In terms of historically charming names with a connection to geography, Dardania and Moesia Superior are still available.
Paeonia is already the name of one of Greece's municipalities, namely this one, but am pretty confident they would reject it too.

Dardania's more Kosovo, no?
And if Macedonia wanted to use Paeonia, surely that'd switch the situation right around - I wouldn't say Greece can claim the name of a geographic region that is almost entirely within Macedonia now, just make that place Greek Paeonia. But, thing is, it's moot, because Paeonia just doesn't have the GLAMOUR that Macedonia has. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom