Name change for (FYRO) Macedonia?

MACEDONIA IS GREECE!!!!!!!

• Total voters
Dardania was like Kosovo and Fyrom together, with Skopje being one of its main cities so it's not totally invalid. As for Paeonia, greeks couldn't and wouldn't object it, but the point is as you said that it's not a brand strong enough to differentiate them from those they want to distance themselves from.

The four potential names officially put forward by the Macedonian government

* Republic of North Macedonia
* Republic of Upper Macedonia
* Republic of Vardar Macedonia
* Republic of Macedonia (Skopje)

No doubt the Greeks will reject all four because MACEDONIA IS GREECE!!!!! :hitler:

I still like Moesha Superior. It’s like Brandy’s ultimate final form. Her special move is the Widowmaker

Sorry if I'm the only person who remotely cares about this, but I'm kind of obsessed by murky Balkan politics. This shit makes Trump look professional. :D

SKOPJE, MACEDONIA (AP) — Macedonia took a conclusive step Wednesday toward declaring Albanian the country's second official language, with lawmakers approving the measure amid protests inside parliament and outside the building.

The motion passed with 64 votes in the 120-seat parliament, but was disrupted by the conservative opposition. Former conservative Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski tried to prevent parliamentary speaker Talat Xhaferi from speaking by switching off his microphone.

His party also tried to delay the vote by tabling 35,000 amendments — which Xhaferi, an ethnic Albanian, ignored.

Parliament had previously approved the measure, but the bill required a second vote after President Gjorge Ivanov refused to ratify it in January, citing constitutional grounds.

Under Macedonia's constitution, Ivanov must now approve the law.

Ethnic Albanians make up a quarter of Macedonia's 2.1 million people. Relations with the Slavic-speaking majority have often been tense.

35,000 amendments!

North Macedonia wins. Although it still needs to be ratified by the Greek and Macedonian governments and pass a referendum in Macedonia.

Greece has reached a deal on the future name of its northern neighbour, which called itself Macedonia at the break-up of the former Yugoslavia.

After years of protests and seemingly endless diplomacy, they have settled on the name Republic of North Macedonia, or Severna Makedonija in Macedonian.

The aim of the deal is to remove Greece's block on its neighbour's bid to join Nato and the European Union. But first it will need to be approved by the Macedonian people and Greek parliament.

What's the solution?
Under the deal, the country known at the United Nations as Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Fyrom) will be named Severna Makedonija, or Republic of North Macedonia.

Its language will be Macedonian and its people known as Macedonians (citizens of the Republic of North Macedonia).

Significantly, they agreed that the new name would be used both internationally and bilaterally, so that even the many countries that recognise the name Macedonia will also have to adopt North Macedonia. They also agreed that the English name could be used as well as the Slavic term.

The two sides had earlier dropped a number of alternatives, including Gorna Makedonija (Upper Macedonia), Nova Makedonija (New Macedonia) and Ilinden Macedonia.

Last edited:
I'm highly sceptical that it'll get through the Greek government given the minority coalition leader has flatly refused to countenance any name with the word Macedonia in it, and this deal is likely to be hugely unpopular with older Greek people.

Be great if it happens though.

Macedonia DEAD

North Macedonia REBORN

Petty, history obsessed Greeks LIVID :disco:

Update for fellowgeopolitics nerds. After ending their 30-year dispute with Greece the poor Former Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia North Macedonians ended up in ANOTHER EU stalemate thanks to Bulgaria. :D

It’s far from sorted, but they’ve tentatively accepted a fairly humiliating compromise and their EU accession talks finally began today (along with Albania who have been dragged down with them this whole time for reasons)

I don’t think Greece have much to do with the current stalemate. It’s just right wing nationalists in both countries using ridiculous identity politics to fire up their bases and score points.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there was Russian money involved as well to hamper further EU expansion.

Awful. Greece really needs to just get over it :manson:
Surely they're also behind this?
Sure Jan GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom