New(ish) funky/laid-back disco

I had no idea that Fred Falke was still about, let alone reswizzling old Sheila B Devotion numbers.

I only came across the Roosevelt remix of Purple Disco Machine's Hypnotized the other day, which has more of a disco groove about it than the original.

Some from me...

Ben Macklin - Dare
Le Flex - Meet Me On The Dancefloor
Tensnake - Somebody Else
Ali Love - Secret Sunday Lover
Eli Escobar - Dance For Love
Adam Lambert - Roses

Also everything from Moon Boots, Satin Jackets and Kraak & Smaak, although more of a deep house / nu disco mish mash, are brilliant. Loads of albums and EPs and remixes from them.

Chromeo and Le Flex also great modern disco / 80s groove acts.

Love this genre

God bless you Funky! I'll be making my way through that list and adding any that tickle my disco nips :disco: Satin Jackets are indeed consistently incredible

I have already added your playlist to my evening listening :disco:

I have loads more where this came from, I’ll have to do some digging

Ameraal needs to contribute also!

What’s Your Pleasure OUT NOW folks :eyes:

I haven't seen any posts from am for ages, did he leave?

This newish remix of a Miami Horror song from last year is very :disco:

I like Chromeo very much, but their Corona-themed EP felt about a month too late.

Am is browsing every now and then I think but seems to be on a posting break.

@funky, not all of Le Flex was for me but I'll Be Good To You is AMAZING and also extremely George Michael - in fact many of their/his songs give me that feeling

Yes Le Flex has totally been influenced by George Michael / Imagination mid 80s era. It’s the sort of cheese I can get on board with

Everyone with an interest in this music needs to listen to this album immediately if they haven’t done so already. It was my soundtrack to 2018:

I listened to the Oliver album in full this afternoon - it starts and ends strongly. Love Like This, Heart Attack and Heterotopia into my playlist. Thanks Funky!

The last two songs by NZCA lines are pretty :disco: (the second one is more disco ballady but the strings are sweet)

I prefer the mellow original to this but this remix is also :disco:

I love Rhye. He's like a comedown Jessie Ware.

A bit behind on this one but relevant to the thread; a fabulous Princess update and probably my favourite Disclosure track since the first album.

I have been REMISS in forgetting to mention Crazy P in this thread... been around forever and have been churning out Nu Disco before Nu Disco was a thing

their recent album was typically fabulous

Loving Crazy P, funks. SOS is taking me there. Lean On Me and Night Rain straight into my playlist too, I'll have to go on a deep dive. :disco:

Do. All their albums have been good to be honest. I think they were / he was known as Crazy Penis in the beginning and more of a remixer/producer. Some good stuff in the early 00s. The last 2 or 3 albums though have been really strong.

A couple of great dancey disco tracks released this week, might be remixes of previously released house tracks, but they feature the mighty Aeroplane and therefore can't be ignored

This is FABULOUS

So many dance tracks getting disco makeovers at the moment :disco:

that Time Alone mix is serving me Freemasons circa 2006 through a 2020 disco filter. :disco: what a vocal!

@funky have you dived into the NZCA Lines album yet? I've only played the singles but Opening Night is great, wondering if the rest hits the mark

I haven’t actually, they are a new discovery, saw them mentioned on here around the same time they started getting played on 6Music (I follow their playlist sometimes for recommendations)

I will though, they sound right up my street. I only know 2 songs right now and I like both

The Aeroplane remix is quite an improvement on the original version of the HMD song. Kathy still sounds really good, would love to hear more of her.

She was the vocal on another track recently. Escaping me at the moment but I’ll find it

This is fabulous. I LOVE Le Flex. They remind me of Imagination.

Le Flex is back with another Song I Wish I'd Written EP (Part 3). Most of it is 70s soul ballads so it's kinda gloopy but well produced. The easy highlight is this absolute gem:

Tensnake new single. Although it's not really Nu Disco, it's more commercial house. Sounds like a Dua Lipa remix. It's OK

Le Flex is back with another Song I Wish I'd Written EP (Part 3). Most of it is 70s soul ballads so it's kinda gloopy but well produced. The easy highlight is this absolute gem:

@funky which Michael Jackson song is this reminding me of musically? something off Dangerous? it's a very similar beat in places but I can't place it

It’s the chord sequence that Le Flex uses a lot which is common with 70s lounge soul and dripped over into artists like MJ and George Michael

it tends to remind me of “Lady In My Life“, and “Break Of Dawn”. Also Janet’s “Funny How Time Flies”

the vibe of the song is not dissimilar to “Rock With You” by MJ as well.

Satin Jackets! They've updated a recent downtempo track and it's... still downtempo, but given a Satin Jackets funky polish

Paul Epworth has been brought to my attention on a few Spotify playlists and I'm loving it... in the Jungle/Leisure/Franc Moody vibe

ooh I'll check those out asap :o

6s to 9s is fucking dreamy - not quite disco, but the Neil Frances remix gives it a proper nu-disco makeover

Last edited:
I'm surprised that last one never appeared on my radar because Rationale is one of my favourite vocalists of the last few years (lockdown countdown spoiler)

those two Poolside tracks are RIGHT down my alley also

Yeah I like. He’s releasing an album and seems to have gone down a different route to the collabs he was doing last year. He’s reminding me a lot of Empire Of The Sun, especially the previous single

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom