Olivia Newton-John DEAD

I know Xanadu is mean to TERRIBLE, but this subtle clip is CAMP

Genuinely can't remember if I've seen it all the way through or not and can only recall the plot vaguely. But look at this synopsis

Kira (Newton-John) a Greek muse incarnated on Earth to inspire people, helps Dan McGuire and an artist named Sonny Malone to meet. She inspires them to build a huge disco roller rink called 'Xanadu'.
Imagine being a gay in 1980 and looking forward to THAT :disco:

Genuinely can't remember if I've seen it all the way through or not and can only recall the plot vaguely. But look at this synopsis

Imagine being a gay in 1980 and looking forward to THAT :disco:
With a synopsis like that I NEED TO SEE IT.

"A box office disappointment, Xanadu earned negative critical reviews and was an inspiration (along with Can't Stop the Music) for the creation of the Golden Raspberry Awards to recognize the worst films of the year."

I loved every minute of Can't Stop the Music. This feels like a case of nasty early 80s homophobia and I simply MUST.

I saw Xanadu drunk in a park in Edinburgh, and it wasn't that bad to be honest.

Though that may be the many MANY raspberry mojitos talking.

OK, I wasn’t expecting to react like this. I knew she was ill and even had her on my list for the last few years, which now I’m feeling guilty about. I really don’t know her discography to the same extent as a lot of you, so I’m very much a basic big hits fan. But I keep getting teary thinking about her :(

OK, I wasn’t expecting to react like this. I knew she was ill and even had her on my list for the last few years, which now I’m feeling guilty about. I really don’t know her discography to the same extent as a lot of you, so I’m very much a basic big hits fan. But I keep getting teary thinking about her :(
Same. She just seems really lovely and Grease/ Sandy is just such a huge part of that. Grease is such a big feature of all our cultural upbringings.

But I keep getting teary thinking about her :(
I think it's easy to say that thanks to 'Grease' she was a big part of the lives of many people and most were introduced to her when they were kids watching that film for the first time, regardless of whether it was in 1978 at the cinema, or when it was being shown on TV at Christmas in 2008. Successive generations have grown up with her as a part of their childhood. She felt like someone you knew. Her cancer diagnosis and all the philanthropic work she did after that was well publicised and she was just always the epitome of grace and for want of a better word "niceness" and always more than happy to laugh at herself. She didn't have it easy over the last 30 years of her life, but there was never any self-pity, but instead there was always THAT smile and I'm going to miss that most of all.

Simultaneously #1 on US iTunes singles (Hopelessly Devoted To You) and albums (Grease Soundtrack)

She's got the top 5 in Australia. It took Olivia to die to finally dislodge Kate Bush.

UK Spotify Day One impact

#56 Hopelessly Devoted To You
#71 You're The One That I Want
#156 Summer Nights

Shame nothing beyond Grease cracked it, but still decent.

As awful as losing her has been, she seemed to know every celebrity on the planet, so I'm expecting her STATE FUNERAL to be STAR STUDDED and TELEVISED.

As awful as losing her has been, she seemed to know every celebrity on the planet, so I'm expecting her STATE FUNERAL to be STAR STUDDED and TELEVISED.
It's a state memorial isn't it? As far as I understand it, the funeral is taking place in the US.

This article reminds me that I really need to compile my all-time Olivia top twenty. I'll eventually share it on Moopy when it's done, but at the moment I've been listening to so many Olivia songs since she died that it seems disrespectful to not include every track in the top ten.

Can you suggest an image?
Anything from the Xanadu video. She looked GLORIOUS.

Screenshot_20220814-193602_Google.jpg

I quite like the top photo from this article, but I have no idea how to upload it as an image here...

I quite like the top photo from this article, but I have no idea how to upload it as an image here...

For future reference save the pic to your device and you can upload it by tapping on...

Screenshot_20220814-194249_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom