Pride [2014 - GAY INTEREST]

In the name of love

• Total voters

Sharla

The Resistance
I was a bit concerned this was going to be twee, patronising shit but it's actually a bloody marvellous film. I laughed and shed a year or two. The trailer really doesn't do the film justice and there's far more drama than comedy but it's all done very well and I couldn't recommend it highly.

I'm disappointed with my Welsh Labour roots and homosexual persuasions I'd not heard of the story until the film was announced but it really is an important part of the UK's equal rights history.

For the performances, they were all very good although Andrew Scott and Dame Imelda Staunton's accents came and went. George MacKay is excellent and I had no idea who Ben Schnetzer as leader of the gays, and not only was I amazed that he was American (his vague Northern Irish accent is pretty good to my ears) but he was also Max in The Book Thief earlier this year. He's also one of the toffs in The Riot Club out next week. Menna Trussler (the Welsh Dame Judi) has her share of good lines.

I was wondering how it would take for AIDS to rear its head but when it happened it was done very well and I found the end of this more moving than The Dallas Buyers Club. The only thing that could have improved it was some of the real life photos at the end to see the real people.

There's a really good article about the real life people and some footage from the time. Don't read it until you've seen the film. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/31/pride-film-gay-activists-miners-strike-interview

It's a BRITISH language you know. (More's the shame)

Oh it was fine. Not deserving of the hyperbole but rather good all the same. 7/10

Aw I liked this :D It was sweet and funny and very informative, I had no idea about any of this, I'm ashamed to say. And Imelda Staunton can do no wrong.

A gallu Eileen cai eu geg ar ol gyd o'i trafeilio i wladau byd trydydd. :evil:

Last edited:
Absolutely loved this. Thought I'd find it over-sentimental and twee, just like Sharla, and yes it IS sentimental, but it's so much fun and says a lot more about basic humanity than just about gay rights and miners' rights. Performances are universally good or better and I too was shocked to find out that Ben Schnetzer wasn't Northern Irish. Very impressive accent (and very cute too…!). Thought the humour was spot on, and I bought into the characters so much. I was crying my eyes out at the 'what happened to them after the film' section that you get in all of these type of true stories: not because anything there was particularly shocking, but because I had bought into all the characters.

Well done all round.

Our cinema was REALLY quiet. Hope it's just because it was a Sunday morning - it deserves a huge audience.

BRILLIANT.

Such manipulative film making, but very successful. I quite literally laughed and cried, and there were some fabulous performances. I loved the pacing and its ability to seamlessly switch between big, emotive, energetic, comedic scenes and the smaller moments. The sandwich making scene with Imelda Staunton and Bill Nighy was utterly perfect.

I saw this last night and whilst I expected it to be pleasant I didn't expect to enjoy it just as much as I did. I knew very little about it before I went, I hadn't seen the trailer but I'd had a quick read of this thread.
It was wonderful, I haven't enjoyed a film this much in years, the characters are so likeable and more than just the overriding story arc it's all the little touches that make it so wonderful.

It was a mixed crowd in the audience but it was far from full which is a real shame because I think the 'gay interest' tag will stop it reaching the audience it deserves.

It was a mixed crowd in the audience but it was far from full which is a real shame because I think the 'gay interest' tag will stop it reaching the audience it deserves.
I agree with this, which is a great shame, as it's as good a film as classics like The Full Monty and Billy Elliot.

This was fantastic and I am so completely unapologetic about the 10/10 rating :D It may be slightly sentimental but NOTHING like what Americans would have done with this, it was handled with a beautiful British sensibility. It was also FAR LESS PREACHY than American gay films (this is so not a gay film though as others have pointed out).

Everyone in my theatre stood up and clapped at the end - it was a very mixed crowd with a lot of old straight (commie) couples.

I fucking loved it also. The script was great (a tad formulaic yeah, but never boring and so beautifully written in both comedy and drama) and it's got the best ensemble cast i have seen in YEARS. Everyone was great..

'tis an outrage that it seems to be underperforming a bit. I expect it'll get some awards recognition though.

"Someone had better tell Lesbians Against Pitt Closures" is one of the most hilarious, understated lines ever. It's still tickling me.

I'm so glad to see so much love for this.

This is footage of the real life events that inspired the film. Mark Ashton appears at 5.07.

WARNING: contains lesbians with mullets in dungarees and a woman who may have been punched in the face or might just have an unfortunate birthmark.

Last edited:
Watching that video of Mark Ashton there, Ben Schnetzer pitched him absolutely perfectly. :o

Last edited:
Yep I loved it too. So many marvellous moments, though I think "I don't care if you're Arthur Bloody Scargill love, don't talk through the bingo" was my favourite.

New found respect for real life Sian too...

The moment that got the best laugh in the cinema was "Yes, I am a lesbian and we're all off for a big LEZ-OFF" :D :D :D

Such a fucking amazing film. I went on my own and was sobbing like an absolute maniac (I'd had two cans of M&S gin).

It was the vegetarian line that slayed me.

But WTF at Joe McElderry's accent. Did cwej hear another dialogue track from me?

10/10 for me - I've watched it twice and laughed and cried as much as the second time

Oh this was marvelous, right up my alley. Power to the people + gays meant it had me from start and I shed a few tears in the last five minutes (I imagine it would have been more if I'd been in a theatre and not at home).

Performances were all great but I was most surprised by the lesbian played by Faye Marsay who I usually find to be rather dreary. I hope real life Sian is as fabulous as her movie counterpart.

Lovely film. It's a 5 star British masterpiece in my opinion and it's lovely to see Brit films getting recognition, especially when they're this good.

I didn't find it to be overly sentimental or cheesy, I just thought it was really solid and all of the performances were so strong. I couldn't find any faults and it was brilliantly paced and entertaining. One for the DVD collection for sure.

Has anyone told Lesbians Against Pit Closures?

Matthew Warchus deserves an award for diplomacy after his Radio 5 interview last night. He tried to compare it to the marketing decision to use a "Hilarious!" tagline on the cover when everyone who he knew had seen the film had cried in equal measures, but he didn't sound very convinced.

Still, imagine the shock any homophobes will have when they watch it.

Only found watched this. Echoing everyone else. Funny and tear jerking in places. It had a profound effect on me, so I'm becoming a lesbian.

I had a lovely moment on a flight I operated a few months ago when the CEO of one our biggest corporate clients watched this on board, laughing and crying his way throughout before initiating a GROUP HUG with the crew on the upper deck! :D

'tis an outrage that it seems to be underperforming a bit. I expect it'll get some awards recognition though.

It didn't do too badly in the end, a Golden Globe nomination for best comedy/musical and a few BAFTA noms for Dame Imelda and as Best British Film, with the writer getting Best British Newcomer.

And it ended up the 68th highest grossing film of the year with over 3 million so not too shabby.

I'm over it now, having occupied myself all day, but it certainly left an impact after viewing it last night. It reminded me I have no gay circle these days to be awful to.

I've just seen this and thought it was fabulous. A rare 10 from me.

I've been staying with my parents this weekend, and rather heartwarmingly they have this on DVD.

Anyway it was a bit broad for me in places, and after the diabolical 'Cucumber' I really can't enjoy Freddie Fox in any context, although pleasingly he only had about 3 lines here. Could have done without the RUSSEL TOVEY IS ACTING NOW cameo too. But on the whole, lovely in a very British sort of way.

I loved Imelda, the woman who looked like Ruth Jones but wasn't, and the clear QoL that was Gwen. Best gays were lovely Gethin and American Joe McElderry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom