Rock Hall nominees 2022

It’s going to be tough to whittle this down to 6 and I hope they extend the inductees this year as they catch up to include more genres like new wave and modern pop into the mix. And more importantly more females

I think Eminem will get in on first try. Which probably means no room for ATCQ on their first attempt :(

I think multi nominees Pat Benatar and Judas Priest will finally get in as they are probably the most talked about omissions from previous ballots.

Would love to see Eurythmics finally get in as deserved

Surprised but not against seeing Lionel Richie and Dolly Parton. Dolly probably has a better chance even though country crossovers are rare for Rock Hall

Kate Bush should be a contender as well but I’m not sure she’ll make it

Fan vote currently has Pat Benatar, Duran Duran and Eminem in the lead

Kate Bush

cover2.jpg

Reactions: COB
I think Kate has a much better chance this year. And Pat. Mostly because they need to balance the female quota, which isn’t the best reason, but they both deserve it anyway so whatever

I don’t think there has previously been many or any years where more than one female act got in in a single year, and last couple of years it’s been multiple.

Speaking of which I expected a Mariah Carey nomination this year, but no

There were also rumblings of Alanis Morissette but that was probably just speculation / wishful thinking

i know precious little about this establishment but it doesn't sound like much if kate bush isn't already a patron of honour.

i know precious little about this establishment but it doesn't sound like much if kate bush isn't already a patron of honour.
You just need to give them a few decades to catch up. Pretend it's the mid 90s and that list of nominees begins to make sense.

Last edited:

It’s an American institution first and foremost, even though it is recognised globally. Kate Bush, while successful in America, wasn’t a massive star. However the Hall does place influence and historical significance over sales and popularity so in Kate’s case she will get in eventually.

The Cure and Depeche Mode were recent inductees for similar reasons and the 80s alternative scene has only recently seen a push, bearing in mind that the Hall was started out to recognise traditional R&R and R&B artists, the pioneers of the 60s and 70s. They’ve since expanded to rock, folk, pop and in recent years metal and hip-hop. Like any institution with broad memberships it takes a while to evolve, but it does evolve and it’s the only all encompassing popular music Hall of Fame so it does carry a lot of weight with artists and labels

For my fan ballot (does that actually change anything? I feel like no) I voted for
A tribe called quest
Eurythmics
Kate bush
Dolly parton
Dionne Warwick

Very similar to mine. I did

A tribe called quest
Eurythmics
Kate bush
Pat Benatar
Lionel richie

But I’d be happy with Dolly or Dionne too

You can vote as many times as you like as well. One per day I think it is

Reactions: RJN
I don’t know how it’s decided but I think Dolly Parton is going to get it. She’s had so much good will lately

I would imagine Carly Simon has more chance than Kate Bush, given it's an America-centric award.

She also 100% deserves to be in, too. She's certainly had more of a career than Pat Benatar.

I've been voting for Kate, Dolly, Eurythmics, Pat, and one of Carly/Dionne on alternating days. The full list of nominees is pretty good, there are no artists that I think wouldn't deserve to be inducted

The fan vote doesn't mean much and the Hall itself is taken a BIT too seriously by some music fans (including me) but I still like to exercise my democratic rights

Last edited:
Oh I think that's a real shame. Her voice carries a lot of weight and there's been a lot of push for certain country artists to be recognised in the context of Rock & Roll, and she would have been a great addition. She's as much pop as she is country so I don't see why she can't be seen as rock & roll as well, which has for a long time encompassed more than just men playing guitar. It's a bit of a setback for broadening the scope of what the Hall represents.

Although now I really want to see her release a rock & roll album!

I wonder if the fact that the Country Music Hall Of Fame (which obviously she is in) is so much more restrictive around genres has played a part in this?

Between this, Dionne Warwick saying yesterday that she doesn’t care about her nomination, and Kate Bush likely being unaware that it’s even happening, these divas just do not care enough about meaningless titles and accolades :angry:

At least good old Carly Simon has been on her Facebook pushing reminding fans to vote

Also a shame because this could be the first year to have more than 2 female acts in a year for a very long time, if ever! It's a strong female lineup and the Hall has a lot of catching up to in that respect. All of the above plus Pat Benatar and Eurythmics are in with a shot.

Although I have a feeling Eurythmics will get passed over in place of Duran Duran :( can't see both going in.

Last year had 3 female acts (Tina Turner, Carole King and The Go-Go’s) but yes they could easily do 3 or 4 this time around too

Forgot about the Go-Gos. I'd like to see another 3 go in at least, but I think the shortlist will be 5 or 6 out of

Eminem
Devo
Judas Priest
Pat Benatar
Duran Duran
Dionne Warwick
Rage Against The Machine

The BIG REVEAL

Dolly Parton
Pat Benatar
Eurythmics
Carly Simon
Duran Duran
Eminem
Lionel Richie

The only way they could've tailored this more to my personal preference would have been by including Kate :disco: And it has to be the least "rock and roll" set of inductees ever so get ready for the boring old purists to riot

Judas Priest were originally nominated with the rest but will receive the "Musical Excellence" award instead of full on induction

What a line up of ABSOLUTE MUSICAL LEGENDS and also Eminem is there.

The BIG REVEAL

Dolly Parton
Pat Benatar
Eurythmics
Carly Simon
Duran Duran
Eminem
Lionel Richie

The only way they could've tailored this more to my personal preference would have been by including Kate :disco: And it has to be the least "rock and roll" set of inductees ever so get ready for the boring old purists to riot

Judas Priest were originally nominated with the rest but will receive the "Musical Excellence" award instead of full on induction
So they have gone with Dolly despite her requesting to bow out?

So they have gone with Dolly despite her requesting to bow out?

Yeah. She did, however, backtrack on her initial comments a few days ago:

Maybe she somehow :eyes: found out early that they were going to induct her anyway and she figured she might as well just go with it

SO happy to see Eurythmics get in! Apparently they received the most votes overall, beating Eminem into 2nd place :disco:

Really happy about Lionel Richie too - I would have preferred the Commodores first as they are a glaring omission now in the classic R&B wing, and with Richie in it'll set them back longer probably. Apparently this is an acknowledgement that there is some catching up to do with pop icons with long, successful careers and influence, and will open the door to the likes of Gloria Estefan, Cher and George Michael in the coming years.

Great that Dolly ended up in - the Hall is meant to represent all genres as long as the artist crossed boundaries and has great generational influence and she absolutely does. And if it leads to her promise of a Rock n Roll album, even better

Glad Pat Benatar got in finally and while I'm no Judas Priest fan it was wise to give them the Excellence award even though they didn't make the ballot - JP and Benatar have been the most talked about omissions / failed nominations in recent years and their omission again would have been a distraction

Gutted about A Tribe Called Quest but they'll get in eventually.

I hope Annie and Dave perform on the night!

Pleased Carly Simon made the cut too :disco: She's written so many great songs.

I've been on a big Anticipation kick lately

Happy for Carly. Happy it's a female leaning list generally, for the first time probably ever.

She's largely passed me by over the years but she's certainly deserving. I love "Why".

Reactions: VoR
What is the Excellence Award, is it like a wildcard entry into the hall?

I can't remember the song that I heard last by her, but it was chirpy and had piano and I thought "I wonder if Kate Bush liked Carly".

What is the Excellence Award, is it like a wildcard entry into the hall?

Kinda. They started bringing it in recently to honour people who don’t get picked by the academy but are strong enough to be considered, so essentially it’s a way of appeasing the detractors who complain when certain people get nominated but dont get in. Multiple failed nominees LL Cool J and Judas Priest are the best examples.

They’re honoured in the same way on the night but in a list of Rock Hall performers they’re not included. They sort of have their own wing, like the early influencers and the songwriters.

Kinda. They started bringing it in recently to honour people who don’t get picked by the academy but are strong enough to be considered, so essentially it’s a way of appeasing the detractors who complain when certain people get nominated but dont get in. Multiple failed nominees LL Cool J and Judas Priest are the best examples.

They’re honoured in the same way on the night but in a list of Rock Hall performers they’re not included. They sort of have their own wing, like the early influencers and the songwriters.

Is that the “No, and stop fucking asking” wing?

I just checked. It's to do with having a lasting impact on music. But that's already a big criteria for the main wing. So yeah it's a tag on for people who are unlikely to ever get a proper vote in for whatever reason - just possibly not enough votes across the academy and might never be.

It does also included producers.

The most famous name in it is Nile Rodgers, although you'd HOPE that they stop arsing around and induct Chic properly soon. Them and Cher are the most ridiculous omissions now for me.

Ringo Starr was famously added in 2015 when it became obvious he was never going to get in the main bit as a solo artist and all the others were already in, and they probably felt sorry for him like they needed to complete the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom