Scream 7 (Now 12% more screamier)

Bring back Heather Graham, Tori Spelling, that Wilson brother, Parker Posey, and make it a film about a killer stalking the cast of the Stab movies (motivation - they're so awful), with Courtney Cox being the roving reporter on scene.
Well that was kind of the plot of Scream 3, no?

*sex-positive woman

Sorry, it appears I was possessed by the spirit of this cunt for a second.

F7A1BD83-BBC9-4233-8948-101ED076CA66.jpeg

What was record breaking about it?

Scream VI sets a new franchise record at the domestic box office. After becoming the highest-grossing opening in the whole saga during its first weekend, the latest installment seemed to slow down its marvelous race thanks to the fierce competition in theaters. But, with the movie still being played, a new record appears.
The movie has managed to accumulate $103.8 million at the domestic box office and now occupies first place at the franchise top. The first Scream movie ended its domestic run with just over $103 million in 1996. Scream 2 made $101 million in 1997, Scream 3 made $89 million in 2000, Scream 4 made $38 million in 2011, and the fifth Scream made $81 million last year.

Globally, Scream VI is on the verge of passing $160 million, just behind Scream 3’s $161 million gross. The first Scream made $173 million. Scream 2 made $172 million, the fifth Scream did $138 million, and Scream 4 finished with a franchise-low $95 million. Collectively, the Scream film series has now grossed over $900 million at the global box office and more than $517 million domestically.

Ahhh thank you. I remember seeing opening weekend numbers and not being too impressed compared to blockbusters but for the franchise there’s obviously still interest there! Guess they don’t cost a lot to make either.

"I guess now is as good a time as any to announce I formally exited Scream 7 weeks ago. This will disappoint some and delight others. It was a dream job that turned into a nightmare. And my heart did break for everyone involved. Everyone. But it's time to move on," Landon wrote on X Saturday. "I have nothing more to add to the conversation other than I hope Wes' legacy thrives and lifts above the din of a divided world. What he and Kevin created is something amazing and I was honored to have even the briefest moment basking in their glow."

Despite being mildly invested in this franchise still, it made me howl that I still had to google who Melissa Barerra was when I heard she'd been sacked wondering what bit-part she was, but okay that was the lead :D

The joke is I feel like none of this matters with Scream. It's got to the point where they can sort of invent whatever they like, and they kind of have. A full on reboot would be fine and let's face it none of the new cast were exactly iconic

But also equally fuck them for what they did and I'm torn between hoping it all caves in on them, and doing justice to the series...

This is very exciting. Thank goodness for Melissa Barrera putting her foot in her mouth.

Genuinely curious how much more they can put Sydney through and where he story goes, she's presumably happy with Mark Kincaid. My guess is a 2026 release for a 30th anniversary murder-fest.

She posted an antisemitic trope alleging that Jewish people control the media.

No she didn’t. It was interpreted as an anti-Semitic trope. She said that Western countries only show the Israeli side. At the time, in America, that was a fair statement. She was wrong about it being all Western countries.

it was badly worded but she was saying, as she corrected herself, that not enough was being shown about how bad the situation was in Gaza, whereas the October 7 massacre received round the clock coverage.

So I can understand the sentiment even if her wording is clumsy. She shouldn’t have been fired about it.

No she didn’t. It was interpreted as an anti-Semitic trope. She said that Western countries only show the Israeli side. At the time, in America, that was a fair statement. She was wrong about it being all Western countries.

it was badly worded but she was saying, as she corrected herself, that not enough was being shown about how bad the situation was in Gaza, whereas the October 7 massacre received round the clock coverage.

So I can understand the sentiment even if her wording is clumsy. She shouldn’t have been fired about it.
“Western media only shows the [Israeli] side. Why do they do that, I will let you deduce for yourself.”

That is what she said. Whether purposefully or not it leans into the well-worn racist trope of Jewish control and influence over the media, particularly in America. To many that is anti-semitic and emblematic of the prejudices Jewish people suffered for decades and longer.

I am astounded that anybody in this community would think that is an benign statement.

She was talking about the lack of coverage for brown people. She corrected herself in that respect. She also put out a long statement where she denounced prejudice of any kind including anti semitism, but suggested that we have to separate that from the truth and people should be allowed to speak up for imbalanced reporting. So of course she got fired.

As it goes, there is an overwhelmingly disproportionate population of Jewish people in high ranking positions in American media. That isn’t a trope, it’s a fact. I don’t have any issue with it, it doesn’t have to be perceived as a negative, but it is a fact.

She was talking about the lack of coverage for brown people. She corrected herself in that respect. She also put out a long statement where she denounced prejudice of any kind including anti semitism, but suggested that we have to separate that from the truth and people should be allowed to speak up for imbalanced reporting. So of course she got fired.

As it goes, there is an overwhelmingly disproportionate population of Jewish people in high ranking positions in American media. That isn’t a trope, it’s a fact. I don’t have any issue with it, it doesn’t have to be perceived as a negative, but it is a fact.
It’s easy to ‘correct’ or ‘walk back’ the intention of an ostensibly racist statement after the fact of that statement being made. Even if she didn’t mean to be anti-semitic, the fact that it was interpreted as such means it has a racist effect nonetheless and contributes to lack of safety many Jewish people feel every day.

Whether or not there is a large number of Jewish people working in the media or not should be irrelevant, unless the assertion is that they are incapable of doing their jobs as professionals without exerting a pro-Jewish or pro-Israeli influence over the media.

Considering Moopy’s proud record of anti-racism, I am surprised we are even having this conversation.

I think the discussion I’m having is that I didn’t interpret her original statement as ostensibly racist. I think she was interpreted a certain way, and it seems the studio agree with your assessment, and here we are. I think it was a massive overstep for a young person who felt helpless about the thousands of people dying and the lack of coverage for it. This is in a world where people are saying some really sick things on social media and not apologising for it.

The current former President of America has gone on record saying that people who stormed the Capitol where people died are patriots, and Putin should be allowed to attack countries who don’t pay their NATO bills, and he’s allowed to run for president again. I think she should have been allowed back on to a horror movie.

It’s easy to ‘correct’ or ‘walk back’ the intention of an ostensibly racist statement after the fact of that statement being made. Even if she didn’t mean to be anti-semitic, the fact that it was interpreted as such means it has a racist effect nonetheless and contributes to lack of safety many Jewish people feel every day.

Whether or not there is a large number of Jewish people working in the media or not should be irrelevant, unless the assertion is that they are incapable of doing their jobs as professionals without exerting a pro-Jewish or pro-Israeli influence over the media.

Considering Moopy’s proud record of anti-racism, I am surprised we are even having this conversation.
While I don't think she should have been fired, I completely agree that there's a responsibility for every public figure to choose their wording carefully on a subject like this. She's quite right to point out injustices but to follow up with a veiled statement that could be - and was - very easily construed as antisemitic was a very clumsy move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom