Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

COB

The ⭐ 👹
Yes yes, not another one etc:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds follows the adventures of Captain Christopher Pike, Number One, and Spock in the years before James T. Kirk boards the U.S.S. Enterprise.
A prequel to (most of) the original series, and a sort-of spinoff from season two of Discovery. These characters were pretty widely regarded as one of the best things to come out of Discovery, and this series is APPARENTLY more focused on episodic stories rather than longer arcs so I'm quite interested to see what it's like.

In a slightly odd move, despite us just recently getting a trailer for the first season here's a story publicising a pretty major bit of casting for the already in-production second season:

Theme tune and opening sequence:

I really, really love this! Great to have the opening voiceover again, and the whole thing really does a great job of evoking a sense of wonder and discovery (not that one :eyes:). It's also a bit like a less boring version of Voyager's opening.

Annoyingly there doesn't seem to be a way to watch in the UK when it starts on the 5th of May, as Paramount+ still won't have launched here by then. Oh well! ☠️

Thinking about the various Star Trek theme tunes, and remembering this bizarre moment:

I know they were trying to do something different, but Russell Watson covering a Rod Stewart song from the Patch Adams soundtrack, written by Diane Warren in full-on GET MONEY BITCH mode? Why not I suppose :D

Two questions:
What is this on?
Is hot Spock shirtless? (Eating a banana on a space hopper)

OMG this was fantastic :disco: Everything I wanted and MORE!
Is hot Spock shirtless? (Eating a banana on a space hopper)
He actually is! Well not the spacehopper bit but he was quite extensively topless in a saucy scene. Quite the body on him too :shock: I am watching using nefarious means, but it will be on Paramount+ when it eventually launches here next month. No idea about Japan though :(

Three episodes in and I'm loving this, it definitely feels like a breath of fresh air and a different approach than the other current live-action Trek shows. So far they've been very committed to the story of the week that sticks quite closely to traditional tropes (this week being the classic 'everyone is infected with a weird virus and only one person can save the ship') while also giving decent focus to the various crew members and dropping in little bits and bobs about them to flesh them out. It already feels like a proper crew in the way that pre-2000s Trek did, rather than the 'two or three main characters and some glorified extras' approach that Discovery took. Speaking of which, I enjoyed that last week's episode of SNW basically used the same concept as Discovery season 4 but managed to more with it in one episode than Discovery did dragging it out for half a season :tongueout:

I'm so annoyed that nobody else can watch this without jumping through lots of hoops, because it's honestly so good! This week's episode was basically a submarine story, with the Enterprise hiding in a gas cloud with enemy ships and they were all essentially blind - it was all nicely tense. I think they're doing really well at managing lots of little stories within each episode, and the only stuff that's carrying over between episodes are the character arcs rather than big plot stuff and it feels very refreshing.

I know it's boring and trite to say but this series is the antidote we needed to Picard and Discovery :o

I've been catching up on the last few episodes and they're really keeping up a very consistent level of quality! I like that they're not afraid to do more contemplative episode endings where things don't always get neatly wrapped up, but still managing to be satisfying when it comes to exploring themes.

I believe the first three episodes are now on the newly-launched Paramount+ in the UK btw, and the rest will be added weekly.

Episode 9 was another fantastic one, even if it was basically Star Trek does Aliens (right down to them finding Newt that random little girl on the ship). I'm guessing we won't be able to get MUCH more from the Gorn without contradicting the original series, but so far they've managed to set them up as quite the terrifying threat in this and I wonder if they'll play a part in next week's finale. I also think it says a lot about the writing across the series that I was genuinely a bit cut up about
Hemmer dying, it took me by surprise and they'd done a lot of nice work building up that character (particularly his friendship with Uhura) so to lose him so soon feels particularly brutal. I wonder who his replacement will be - could this be where Scotty is introduced? I'm expecting this series to eventually end with pretty much the entire original crew in place, and the final scene will probably be Kirk sitting in the captain's chair for the first time.

Well, I think it's fair to say that this has been my favourite first season of a Star Trek series ever :disco:

I bailed on Discovery season 4 and Picard season 2 and was generally feeling VERY over new Star Trek material, but my friend insisted that I watch this and so far (2 episodes) so good!

I like how in episode one they spend a large amount of time on PLANET KYLIE (sp?) and episode two is solved by a lovely group sing-a-long :disco:

Reactions: COB
Still enjoying this, but is there any reason we know of why Rebecca Romjin seems so isolated from the rest of the cast? She never seems to be in any bridge scenes, and she's never in shot with more than one or two other main characters at most. It almost feels like she filmed the bulk of her scenes separately - did she have limited availability?

• Wow
Reactions: dUb
I hadn't noticed while watching, but you're right :o I wonder if it could be a Covid thing - I think it was filmed around the same time as season two of Picard, which was sometimes VERY obvious in how the plot would hive off pairs of characters to have their subplots in well-ventilated outdoor locations :eyes: Interesting that it only seems to be Romijn affected, maybe she wasn't free for reshoots or something.

FsVJlp7agAEfGjY

• Love
Reactions: COB
Yes! It's the closest thing to 20th century Star Trek they've done in the modern era, and the characters grew on me really quickly.

Tricky to get a really good look, but here's the first image of Mariner and Boimler from the crossover episode:
ld.jpg

Their costumes actually work quite well in live action! The episode is directed by Jonathan Frakes too, so I'm expecting something quite special.

I just want more 25th Century Trek but clearly that is unlikely to happen any time soon.

I haven't bothered with this despite the positive reviews. Really not enough of an incentive to subscribe to Paramount+, particularly when Picard was available on Prime. The only reason I watch Lower Decks is because that is on Prime too.

I didn't subscribe :eyes: It's definitely worth a try though, maybe if a good free trial comes along? Despite the 60s era setting, it's basically the sort of show I'd have expected the more episodic TNG era could have evolved into had it continued running throughout the 00s and 10s.

I think it's the time period in which it's set that bugs me. I'm fed up of prequels/reboots and the same characters being portrayed by multiple actors.

Kurtzman clearly wasn't a fan of 80s/90s Trek and that's fine...but that's the generation that appealed to me.

The link to Lower Decks, which I do actually quite enjoy is the ONLY thing that interests me about this.

The link to Lower Decks, which I do actually quite enjoy is the ONLY thing that interests me about this.
Yes. And yet it simultaneously it makes me think feel less respect for SNW.

QUITE!

It was a crap episode otherwise

And WHAT ON EARTH does that old woman from Kimmy Schmidt think she's doing

The Lower Decks crossover episode is on Paramount+ NOW for some reason

I enjoyed the Spock-turns-human one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom