Steps - The Slightest Touch (Five Star cover) OUT NOW

*Going Live phone-in reference*

• Total voters
Popjustice people say it's "incredible" and "huge by comparison" to the original

Has anyone checked Chinese iTunes?

Last edited:
More from PJ:

"This should’ve been the lead single. It is incredible.

The middle eight with Faye speaking, Lisa ad-libbing going into Claire going wild is amazing."

That does sound :disco::disco::disco:

Last edited:
I’m almost sorry in a way it’s taken them this long so it’s not going to be a mega smash and reignite love for the original around the world, but still, I am more excited than I EVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE :disco:

Why are they always so overjoyed on Popjustice to hear H and Lee get solo lines?

Why are they always so overjoyed on Popjustice to hear H and Lee get solo lines?

That really is something strange to be excited about when it basically always seems to be at the expense of West End star and designated second Steps lead Queen Faye Tozer.

I am really very excited to hear this though :disco:

That really is something strange to be excited about when it basically always seems to be at the expense of West End star and designated second Steps lead Queen Faye Tozer.

I am really very excited to hear this though :disco:
There’s a few more seconds (30 to be precise) in this clip. I already know I’ll be pining for Denise’s vocal instead.

The vocals in that clip are a little Lisa heavy and need Claire letting RIP but the backing track sounds PERFECTLY ON POINT :disco:

Has anyone checked Chinese iTunes?

They aren’t on our iTunes yet, they must be waiting for the UK to tick to Friday before putting it up internationally. It better be bloody midnight (UK time) :oi:

They aren’t on our iTunes yet, they must be waiting for the UK to tick to Friday before putting it up internationally. It better be bloody midnight (UK time) :oi:
Are you sure? It’s definitely up on iTunes in Australia.

Weird. Yeah, we don’t even have Take Me For A Ride on iTunes here. How weird. It’s still a preorder for the album.

Fucking backwater! :oi:

It’s just WEIRD. It’s not like they have nice voices and their personalities are bland at best, detestable at worst.

In fact the whole vocal distribution thing this era has been a bit jarring - the chopping and changing between singers each line (this song included) is something they never used to do, and just makes it obvious they’re doing all they can to contrive as equal a split as possible.

I mean, do these 40-something parents REALLY care about this? If they do it’s really quite tragic.

It’s just WEIRD. It’s not like they have nice voices and their personalities are bland at best, detestable at worst.

In fact the whole vocal distribution thing this era has been a bit jarring - the chopping and changing between singers each line, this song included, something they never used to do, just makes it obvious that they’re doing everything they can to contrive an equal a split as possible.

I mean, do these 40-something parents REALLY care about this? If they do it’s really quite tragic.

It also does kinda beg the question why YOU care about it that much to the point of using “detestable” to describe someone you’ve NEVER MET :D

It does kinda beg the question why YOU care about it that much to the point of using “detestable”… :D
The detestable remark was specifically referring to the personality of half of the male contingent of the group.

Okay this fucking slaps. Faye getting my favourite line too (‘you’ve got my senses tuned to my remote control’)

The detestable remark was specifically referring to the personality of half of the male contingent of the group.
I amended my comment after you quoted. Because that is what I was GETTING AT :D

Perfect amount of the boys (two lines), the girls have a good smatter of personality in their delivery and Claire kills the middle 8. Utterly fabulous :disco:

TEN

I amended my comment after you quoted. Because that is what I was GETTING AT :D
OK well even so, I didn’t realise that having grown up with someone was a pre-requisite for having an opinion on them on here nowadays. :D

I fully appreciate that not everyone will feel so strongly about individual members (nor do I when it’s not for effect), but I still find it baffling that even if they’re indifferent towards H & Lee or even RATHER like them, there is a group of people actively cheering when they get to dominate a song when surely everyone can see that they’re not exactly the ones pulling the punters in!

THEY’VE GOT A LINE EACH AND YOU CLEARLY CAN’T HEAR THEM IN THE CHORUS, LOVE! :D

Yes I was making two fairly separate points initially but I guess it’s my own stupid fault for not making them well enough (or bothering in the first place).

OK well even so, I didn’t realise that having grown up with someone was a pre-requisite for having an opinion on them on here nowadays. :D

I fully appreciate that not everyone will feel so strongly about individual members (nor do I when it’s not for effect), but I still find it baffling that even if they’re indifferent towards H & Lee or even RATHER like them, there is a group of people actively cheering when they get to dominate a song when surely everyone can see that they’re not exactly the ones pulling the punters in!
Because everyone wants to fuck Lee and H represents! What's the problem? Let them feel their oats they want to feel their oats.

Anyway, after about five listens I throughly love this. Very Steps but enough interesting stuff (the music after the middle 8 is slightly different for them, if generic dance-pop) and a great re-reading of the song. Surely this is the one to do a video for and a push next month for the album.

How can people give this a 10 when it's a basic carbon copy of the original? They've done nothing whatsoever to make it their own. I'm sorry but it's a 6 at best.

First listen:

My learned friend said it earlier- it lacks the energy and raw soul of Deniece’s vocal to be honest. The ad- libs at the end of the original are SUMTHIN’ ELSE and this doesn’t quite have the urgency. Also, the edit/production is a bit poor- the vocals come in too early, there’s no room to breathe before the spoken bit and though Claire has a good stab at the big line, the synth rave spazzout of the instrumental bit that follows lacks a touch of the drama of the electric guitar in the original.

Considering the original 7” Mix is in my top ten songs of all time, it was unlikely to surpass it for me, but it’s a pretty fair stab. Definitely glad they did it.

7.5/10 - so far

Having said all of that, I think my second play already has me upgrading it to an 8. The synth spazzout sounded a lot better when it wasn’t on my tinny phone speaker…

Yeah I love that bit.

I’m not very connected with the original (was only a UK hit and a bit before my time, though I do know it), so I guess for me it doesn’t have that inevitable comparison for me.

Oddly, Jenny Silver was more that issue with me liking Something In Your Eyes.

Indeed- I entirely concede my absolute batshit love of the original will cloud my feelings. I still play it at least weekly :D

I really like this. I know the original but it doesn’t have the hold on me that ‘Something In Your Eyes’ does (which they did an amazing job on). The production really makes this POP.

The Louise version is actually OK. She did some nice ad-libs (or at least somebody did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom