Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
By all accounts Fantasia was incredible in the role on Broadway but I need to know what went wrong with Cynthia Erivo 🍿

@Christian do you have a take

I don't know but I'd hazard a guess that Wicked is what happened. No way would you want to launch two high profile musical adaptations with the same person in the lead.

Where Cynthia's concerned, that's more than possible. Though I think she'd speak up if she felt hard done by.

If she'd have had the choice, I feel like she'd have taken Color Purple (and OPRAH) over Wicked any day.

Reactions: dUb

Based on the Broadway musical. In cinemas now in the US and out in late January here.

So excited for this, after years of losing it to this Fantasia performance of I'm Here at the Tonys.

I did not even realise this was going to be a muscial! Thought it was just a straight drama remake of the 1980s movie.

LOVE that it’s doing so well
Turns out it was incredibly front-loaded and fell off a cliff after the first day and is now actually flopping??

who is sanctioning budgets of 90 million on Hollywood musicals though? they're ALL box office poison!

Turns out it was incredibly front-loaded and fell off a cliff after the first day and is now actually

IMG_0077.jpeg

The Christmas Day figure was definitely skewed by this; they’ll have been heavily bought by church/faith groups (there was some posts on Reddit in the run up to Christmas that there was no seats to some of the screening on the 25th but very minimal seats filled on the 26th) which means they bought the entire session for a set price - I’m pretty sure many of the seats weren't filled alas it made what it made.

Kinda similar tactics to what Sound Of Freedom (another film that relied on the faith based audience 🤮) had going on last summer (where many sessions were bought out by individuals or groups and then tickets given away (or went unused).

Why would The Color Purple attract a faith based audience in particular?

I take it that Aquaman 2 isn’t doing too well from that report. And that has a way higher budget.

Why would The Color Purple attract a faith based audience in particular?

I take it that Aquaman 2 isn’t doing too well from that report. And that has a way higher budget.
I’ve no idea (never read the book or seen the musical) but this article sums up some of the promo (along with the power/influence of Oprah)

Oprah ain’t as influential as she used to be. She’s had a pretty major backlash from the black community lately. Deserved.

Jesus, this DRAGGED. Maybe it was just really badly directed, because the songs (although good) were just consistently shoehorned in at random intervals. You keep forgetting that it’s a musical because it’s just so choppy, with cartoonish performances across the board and ridiculously cheesy choreography.

Maybe it worked better on stage, but I was just wishing I was watching the Spielberg film the whole time, and I don’t even love that.

This was quite the ordeal to sit through, the time jumps were jarring especially when none of them seemed to look any older until the very end, except for Colman Domingo who aged backwards.

Watching this now and it’s DREADFUL!
Terrible isn’t it. I adore the book and original movie so had high hopes for it.

It must have lost so much money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom