The Zone of Interest

Bitte bewerten Sie es mit bis zu zehn Punkten

• Total voters

Finn

User
Pronouns
he/him

Essentially a film about Rudolf Höss and his family in the early 1940s, going about their lives in their nice house right next door to Auschwitz. HILARITY ENSUES (very much not so)

It won't be for everyone, and I've seen our Ellie indicate that she wasn't a fan elsewhere on here, but I found it compelling and quietly chilling. It's meandering but that always felt justified to me, and other than a bit that's shot in a weird photonegative way which just felt like Glazer trying not to be too conventional for the sake of it, I thought it was done really well and deserves the awards nods it's had.

Also despite spending nearly 3 hours looking at her face yesterday I didn't recognise Sandra Hüller one bit, and was aghast when the end credits rolled. I found her MUCH MORE INTERESTING and relatable as Mrs Höss than her character in Anatomy of a Fall.

Oh ffs - can a kind @Moderator please move this into main moopy odeon rather than the classics forum? That's me being a tit rather than making a comment about it being a modern classic (I'd not go THAT FAR)

Shocked that you didn’t like Anatomy of a Fall and yet THIS GREAT BIG BORE that should have been a 20 min short, held your interest.

I thought this was absolutely excellent. Chilling, thought provoking and tremendously sad. I disagree with Ellie about it being a short- the (already fairly short) film needed that time to build the sense of normality against the horror. The constant rumbling in the background juxtaposed against the kids playing, completely oblivious to it.

I loved the cinematography- the shot with the Mother at night in her bedroom with the glow of the furnaces was absolutely horrific/ beautiful at the same time.

And Sandra Hüller was fantastisch- the scene where she coolly tells someone her husband could turn them into ashes and the unspoken glee at her new fur coat both being the highlights. An absolute monster without remorse, entirely interested in her “dream” home and nothing else, entireky disinterested in fact that such a “dream home” was backed onto by such horror.

9/10. And I never want to see it again.

Sandra Hüller really served us the two most stressful films of the last year. This was very powerful, and as good as Anatomy of a Fall, but in a very different way.
She’s a legend she’s an icon and she is
The moment
Now come on now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom