Theatre 2022

Yes, I saw it late in the run after Felicity Kendall and Sutton Foster had left, but it didn’t matter. Carly Mercedes Dyer was extraordinary and I hope she wins the Olivier tonight.

I enjoyed it a lot but as a show it pales in comparison to the recent production of 42nd Street. I wish that had stayed longer, but considering the theatre refurb and Frozen booking it out after, it had nowhere to go.
Well I enjoyed it too. All the performances were good to great, the set design is marvellous, the costumes wonderful and set pieces magnificent. It's just a shame all that is hung around such a weak plot. I think the pacing is slightly off as well.

Well I enjoyed it too. All the performances were good to great, the set design is marvellous, the costumes wonderful and set pieces magnificent. It's just a shame all that is hung around such a weak plot. I think the pacing is slightly off as well.
Yes, the plot was just OK. I think 42nd Street just spoiled me for this kind of stuff, especially for the dancing, which Anything Goes seemed like it was done in slow motion in comparison.

Well that's "slightly" less than COCK cost me :D

On Anything Goes vs 42nd Street, I prefer the former as the songs are just that much stronger and the lyrics a whole lot better.

Then again, Sutton Foster doing a full on triple threat turn was never going to not turn my head.

Well that's "slightly" less than COCK cost me :D

On Anything Goes vs 42nd Street, I prefer the former as the songs are just that much stronger and the lyrics a whole lot better.

Then again, Sutton Foster doing a full on triple threat turn was never going to not turn my head.
I would have liked to have seen her. If Kerry Ellis had a weak spot, it was the dancing.

I would have liked to have seen her. If Kerry Ellis had a weak spot, it was the dancing.
I did wonder that when I saw that casting. Her acting is a bit crap too, though this type of show is so stylised, I think you can get away with a fair bit. She doesn't come across as a natural hoofer, more like a double and a half threat.

On topic and Kerry adjacent, I took my niece to see Wicked on Sunday. My first visit since 2015!

It was in really good shape and felt very fresh. Lucie Jones was an excellent Elphaba vocally though a bit creaky on the acting. Helen Woolf was like a Chenoweth clone, in the best way. Possibly the funniest take I've seen of Glinda since the original! Everyone else was very degrees of great, apart from Fiyero, who was a big flat flop.

Why is Cock so cheap, are they not packing them in?

I may go and see it!

I’ve been invited to Wicked by one of my best friends who is taking her niece for a birthday, wondering if I’d like to come along. Not seen it in about 4-5 years and they’ve never seen it. It would be my 15th time :shy:

Why is Cock so cheap, are they not packing them in?

I may go and see it!
It’s not. It’s just getting a Tuesday Matinee to sit at the back on the cheap is a lot easier.

Saw a thread about the ridiculous cost of Cabaret, because the minimal number of £30 tickets get snapped up right away as soon as they go on sale, and anyone not on the ball has to pay anything between £70-£300, with the £70 being back of the dress circle. The producers were defending the prices after their Oliviers sweep, since most people can’t afford to see it.

I did consider it when it first opened, but ultimately decided not to for some reason. It’s supposed to be an amazing production, but ultimately I can’t justify that cost.

I did wonder that when I saw that casting. Her acting is a bit crap too, though this type of show is so stylised, I think you can get away with a fair bit. She doesn't come across as a natural hoofer, more like a double and a half threat.
I've only seen her in Wicked (and think that her No Good Deed was better than Idina's) and then bits in concert, but in this she really reminded me of Kerry Ellis playing Elaine Paige in mugging mode playing Reno Sweeney.

COCK - Absolutely brilliant. So funny, well written and performed. So simple. Had an absolute wail of a time.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Fantastical, brilliantly staged and magical… but the story not my bag at all. Was really quite bored throughout. Would make a great film or mini series, but nothing I’d particularly be interested in seeing. I saw A Monster Calls on stage quite a few years ago and that managed to do more just by using a few ropes and a bit of imagination (and great story) than this managed with all of its flashiness.

How did you find Frozen, @Ellie? I enjoyed it, although mainly because my 7 year old great niece was utterly entranced by it all, from the moment she saw the stage before the curtain even went up. I think she's going to be a theatre fan (and naturally I'll be encouraging it).

I can't say I'd have enjoyed it half as much for myself, though. Obviously there are quite a few parallels with Wicked, which I think is much stronger in pretty much every way, and I'd gladly watch again without needing to drag a child along. And while I certainly don't think Samantha Barks was bad, I thought there was precious little chemistry between the leads. Stephanie McKeon was definitely the better of the two. Couldn't fault Barks's voice, though.

I've never seen The Lion King (and have no real desire to), but I'd rank this below both Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast in terms of Disney stage musicals I have seen.

The Lion King is a beautiful interpretation of the film with some amazing set pieces. It's easily the best looking of the Disney stage musicals I've seen and the only one that does something different with the source material.

I did love Mary Poppins though but I saw it back when Laura Michelle Kelly was being actually perfect in the role. It was still the original incredible set too, which was basically a complete house with the front taken off that slid up and down to focus each scene.

It also still had the terrifying "Temper Temper" in it, which had the kiddies in the audience screaming in horror :disco:

I've never seen the film of The Lion King either, so I guess just don't feel any pull - even though pretty much everyone I know who has seen the musical has raved about it.

I am tempted to book for Mary Poppins now, but I'm fairly sure the younger one will struggle with that, given that she did get a little restless during the second half of Frozen, and I believe Poppins is about 30 minutes longer.

How did you find Frozen, @Ellie? I enjoyed it, although mainly because my 7 year old great niece was utterly entranced by it all, from the moment she saw the stage before the curtain even went up. I think she's going to be a theatre fan (and naturally I'll be encouraging it).

I can't say I'd have enjoyed it half as much for myself, though. Obviously there are quite a few parallels with Wicked, which I think is much stronger in pretty much every way, and I'd gladly watch again without needing to drag a child along. And while I certainly don't think Samantha Barks was bad, I thought there was precious little chemistry between the leads. Stephanie McKeon was definitely the better of the two. Couldn't fault Barks's voice, though.

I've never seen The Lion King (and have no real desire to), but I'd rank this below both Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast in terms of Disney stage musicals I have seen.
Yes, pretty much the same. I spent most of the time swooning over Obioma Ugoala (aka Hot George Washington, and now Hot Kristoff) and his incredible voice.

Mary Poppins was brilliant, but I didn’t see the one before. I think this is very much the same anyway from what I’ve heard. Never seen The Lion King and not all that interested. I’d love to see the upcoming Beauty and The Beast. Maybe aforementioned Obioma could take over the role of the Beast at some point *sigh*

I did love Mary Poppins though but I saw it back when Laura Michelle Kelly was being actually perfect in the role. It was still the original incredible set too, which was basically a complete house with the front taken off that slid up and down to focus each scene.

It also still had the terrifying "Temper Temper" in it, which had the kiddies in the audience screaming in horror :disco:
Yes, it premiered here before transferring to London, and as one of my friends was working in theatre circles then we got into a few parties, as well as seeing it and then also going to London, where I think I saw it with LMK again - or at least she has cast a shadow over whoever took it on and I've blocked it out. Who else DID take that part on?

I noticed Petula Clark is the Bird Woman now, but haven't checked who else is in it.

Petula Clark is still in it? Good going! We saw it with her and Zizi Strallen, and Charlie Stemp was the highlight as Burt.

Charlie Stemp is lovely, I'd imagine he'd make a great Burt. I saw Gavin Lee do it originally and he was a bit of an irritant. It's a stupid role anyway.

I dated a guy who was in it in Bristol but left the cast (and the profession :D) before it moved to London, so got all the inside scoop (and got to meet Laura :disco:).

I think The Lion King would be a better bet for younger kids than Mary Poppins, but I hear it's quite rowdy in the theatre because of that. The design work is stunning though, and it's absolutely Elton John's best musical score. Until they make a stage version of "Rocketman" that is :D

I have been following early reports from the Funny Girl revival on Broadway quite closely

Beanie Feldstein hailed as "high school standard" :disco:

This opened yesterday and the reviews are in!

And they're BRUTAL :D

I bet BABS and LEA are having a right old laugh this morning.

Did anybody manage to catch ‘Cinderella’? It’s closing (or rather, turning heel and running to Broadway).

Silver lining is John Waite’s West End debut thwarted :D

No I didn't. I couldn't see the point in another Cinderella what with years of pantos and two recent live action films. Also while I think Carrie Hope Fletcher is a good singer, acting wise is another matter. I thought it best to avoid.

Apparently the cast and backstage talent present in the theatre were only told yesterday very shortly before it was publicly announced, anyone who wasn't there and the newly hired cast who were due to start their roles next month had to find out on social media :manson:

Cinderella has been a disaster from Day One. Someone is going to have to write a killer tell-all book!

There's no way it's going to Broadway in its current (any?) state :D

Did you see it?

No, it had zero appeal. I could barely get through the cast recording and Carrie Hope Fletcher makes my skin crawl. I always going to go a little way into the run when she was on a holiday, but by then the word of mouth was so bad, I decided not to bother :D

The fact they were going to stunt cast John Thwaite into it says it all. I'd rather see the GC in Chicago!

£15 seats (LOTS OF THEM) available this week (and every week) if anyone fancies catching it. I'm sort of tempted now but it doesn't even feel like a notorious enough of a flop to make that worthwhile.

I wonder what's going in there next. I see the rumour mill is swirling with all sorts of suggestions. I quite fancy the idea of an Aspects Of Love revival with Dame Michael Ball as George rather than Alex this time. Now that's a fantastic Lloyd Webber score!

The closing date could wobble, with reports of 800 seats filled, approx. 40% paid, with average discount of 60-70% per ticket.

They must have barely been able to pay the electricity bill with those box office numbers. Eek.

I do wish I’d seen Viva Forever out of sheer curiosity, but still a no for Cinderella.

Got The Drifters Girl (nice £20 deal) and Oklahoma! lined up for next week.

£15 seats (LOTS OF THEM) available this week (and every week) if anyone fancies catching it. I'm sort of tempted now but it doesn't even feel like a notorious enough of a flop to make that worthwhile.

I wonder what's going in there next. I see the rumour mill is swirling with all sorts of suggestions. I quite fancy the idea of an Aspects Of Love revival with Dame Michael Ball as George rather than Alex this time. Now that's a fantastic Lloyd Webber score!
I QUITE fancy a Whistle Down The Wind revival.

I do wish I’d seen Viva Forever out of sheer curiosity, but still a no for Cinderella.

Got The Drifters Girl (nice £20 deal) and Oklahoma! lined up for next week.

Viva was awful but I'm really glad I saw it. I feel the same about Cinderella though :D

Oklahoma! has me vaguely tempted but it's the R&H I like the least...

I really enjoyed the Leeds Playhouse/HOME production of Hedwig & the Angry Inch this week. The cast were great.

My only complaint is that it had no intermission so people just kept getting up mid-show to have a SLASH which was very distracting.

I REALLY enjoyed The Drifters Girl tonight. Whole cast was excellent. Story was so-so but music TOP NOTCH. Very much going “oooh yeaaah” with recognising every song but not having realised it was them the whole time.

Funniest part was at the end watching all the old white people clapping completely out of time, all having some separate, bizarre and unique sense of rhythm each :D Like, I’m white, but sincerely hope I don’t turn in to one of them.

I REALLY enjoyed The Drifters Girl tonight. Whole cast was excellent. Story was so-so but music TOP NOTCH. Very much going “oooh yeaaah” with recognising every song but not having realised it was them the whole time.

Funniest part was at the end watching all the old white people clapping completely out of time, all having some separate, bizarre and unique sense of rhythm each :D Like, I’m white, but sincerely hope I don’t turn in to one of them.

Sounds like my night at the horrible "Memphis" :D

Is Beverley "Bev" Knight still in it at the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom