Tori Amos - Ocean To Ocean

We're here!

20220311_195351.jpg

Ugh she was so good :disco:

I've never seen Tori with a band before, and it was quite a different vibe to Tori and piano, or Tori and orchestra. I got the feeling she kind of wanted to go into full-on PARTY mode as a celebration of being set free after the past couple of years, but had to temper that slightly due to recent world events.

This sounds like gay hyperbole to write down, but when she actually did a 6/7 min-ish version of Bouncing Off Clouds with elements of Reindeer King that was almost DISCO in style?? :D I loved it so much. It was like watching Tori perform a remix? Especially considering she only really sang a few lines from Bouncing Off Clouds repeated. I'd love a studio version of it, as it was obvious some time had gone into the arrangement.

I was living for Give too, as it's always been a personal favourite of mine and one I never expected to hear live. Unfortunately the crowd around me (up in the gods :eyes:) didn't seem as keen, using it as a toilet/bar break or generally looking a bit confused as to which song it was :D

Being up in the gods was a little annoying, as in The Palladium you couldn't see the front row from where I was sitting, which meant I missed out on seeing one of my favourite QUIRKS of Tori live - the LOONIEST of LOONS up front playing AIR PIANO along with Tori throughout the gig :disco:

Tori looked GORGEOUS! And I wanted MORE by the time Take To The Sky (amazing) had finished. She could have easily done a second encore had she wished.

I think it was the first time she hasn't done Precious Things and one of Winter/Silent seeing her live. I was holding out hope for Siren/Spark also, but she still denies me them :(
Cornflake Girl was my only weak moment. It highlighted the changes in her voice the most, and at points Tori seemed a bit like she just wanted to get it over with :D But great to see it with a band - last time around she just played along to a backing tape of the instrumental :D

@AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA with Cornflake Girl, I felt like one she'd got the complex piano bits (which she acted) out the way, she relaxed into the end of it!

Speaking of which, the piano was FIERCE through the whole show

Yeah agreed! By the end of the song she was a lot more in her groove.

I got the vibes at points that she really wanted to focus on the piano and just jam with the BAND a bit rather than sing? :D I wouldn't have been opposed to that at all either.
Caught A Lite Sneeze and Horses in particular, as they were different and extended arrangements.

The stage being flooded with EYES during Spies :disco:

Yeah agreed! By the end of the song she was a lot more in her groove.

I got the vibes at points that she really wanted to focus on the piano and just jam with the BAND a bit rather than sing? :D I wouldn't have been opposed to that at all either.
Caught A Lite Sneeze and Horses in particular, as they were different and extended arrangements.

The stage being flooded with EYES during Spies :disco:
Completely agree, she was more into the piano than the singing - makes sense to me as she must know her voice doesn't have the strength it had, so the drama centers around the piano and the drums. But when they all jam together, the power is great. However, as always (since 2007), I do miss a good electric guitar in the band...

As well as liking the Spies eyes, I enjoyed her looking round to check the Addition of Light Divided lighting was up properly behind her :disco:

I'm so curious as to what she performs tonight. It felt like some of the arrangements had too much thought put into them to not be performed again?

And as Tori LEGEND goes, the second night of shows in a city generally has more deep cuts in the setlist - although I felt last night wasn't exactly her safest choice of songs to open the tour with :D

QUEEN!

Her pussy was on FIRE tonight :disco: she seemed understandably more confident than last night (FIRST NIGHT NERVES and all) and the vocals were stronger as a result.

I was a few rows from the front (as opposed to up on the gods on Friday), and I was exhausted watching her do the piano-work on Cornflake Girl THEN Precious Things :D She must be knackered after that.

Honey :disco: :disco:

And I NEED that Bouncing Off Clouds arrangement! Probably the most joyous thing she's EVER DONE! A live version would suffice Tori <3

OMG no way! The lights came up after the first encore and everybody left- what was the second encore??
Oh no Sorry I meant she did two songs
Spies and Precious Things

But last night unless I’m mistaken they only did Take to the Sky

Anyway I’m still shaking so not completely at full mental capacity

Last edited:
Her pussy was on FIRE tonight :disco: she seemed understandably more confident than last night (FIRST NIGHT NERVES and all) and the vocals were stronger as a result.

I was a few rows from the front (as opposed to up on the gods on Friday), and I was exhausted watching her do the piano-work on Cornflake Girl THEN Precious Things :D She must be knackered after that.

Honey :disco: :disco:

And I NEED that Bouncing Off Clouds arrangement! Probably the most joyous thing she's EVER DONE! A live version would suffice Tori <3
I loved that loon at the front row on the left feeling his oats 🧑🏽‍🎤

In a rush to get to airport so will keep it brief. I’m not sure how it compared to night one or if it even should be compared but I thoroughly enjoyed the show. It was a beautiful experience to sit in a great venue like this seeing her back on the stage.

The new material sounded wonderful live. I was not expecting Selkie to emerge on the set list and I wasn’t ready for it to also be a highlight.

It was also lovely to meet @Iguana and @Tisch beforehand, both I and the other David enjoyed spending time with you guys, next time we’ll arrange seats together.

In a rush to get to airport so will keep it brief. I’m not sure how it compared to night one or if it even should be compared but I thoroughly enjoyed the show. It was a beautiful experience to sit in a great venue like this seeing her back on the stage.

The new material sounded wonderful live. I was not expecting Selkie to emerge on the set list and I wasn’t ready for it to also be a highlight.

It was also lovely to meet @Iguana and @Tisch beforehand, both I and the other David enjoyed spending time with you guys, next time we’ll arrange seats together.
Lovely to meet you both too! Apologies for the beginning where I could literally nothing and might have smiled and nodded at times that didn't call for it. x

So lovely to meet you @BoysForSeles (and David too), it was nice to loon out a bit before the show! I was really pleased for you that she started with Juarez again!

I think I preferred the first night very slightly mainly because of the excitement of a brand new set, but Liquid Diamonds is one of my absolute favourites and I've never heard it at a show I've been to before, so that was great, and same for Honey!

Totally agree that Selkie/Merman was an unexpected highlight - it would never have been on my wishlist but sometimes those are the ones I enjoy the most (I've had similar experiences before with Not The Red Baron and Ophelia, both of which were surprisingly strong live)

You can relive that MAGICAL Bouncing Off Clouds reversion here.
Obviously nowhere near as majestic and rich as hearing it in the flesh (where the intro was a positively UPLIFTING experience for me - I got GOOSEBUMPS), but better than never being able to hear it again.

Truly for me, the most uplifting thing I've ever heard from Tori.

Look I'm honestly nor even exaggerating when I say that my friend had to support me at the end of night 2 because I was shaking (and crying) in the corner

Ugh this podcast is amazing by the way and she talks about American Doll Posse in quite a lot of nice detail
And yes #Justice4ADP :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom