Turkey Earthquakes (7.8 & 7.5 magnitudes)

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
I didn’t grasp the gravity at first. Lots of buildings in southern Turkey and northern Syria have collapsed

(I don’t know how accurate any of this is)

Have just heard from my mum, she's safe - she's on the other side of the country, but I always worry. (Took her a minute to reply, which worried me slightly)
Luckily(?) That side of Turkey doesn't seem to get many, at least not on this scale. :o

I actually experienced an earthquake in Turkey, in Istanbul. I was on a floating restaurant at the time and thought another boat had bumped into us. People got up and started screaming and rushing off and only then did I click. It was then insane- people were desperately trying to get out of the city because the big late 90s earthquake had begun with a similar couple of small tremors apparently. Nothing really came of this one though, thankfully. I am actually going to Istanbul in a few weeks again.

There's a huge Turkish population at my work including staff. I was just chatting to one who knows her family are in hospital but can't get more info as the phones are down

Bloody hell. My mate has family just outside Aleppo that he hasn't seen since the war started. He's trying to get in contact with them.

Thats a lie. Apparently at least 100k in Haiti and over 200k in the Indian Ocean quake.

Oh and quakes in China, Pakistan, Armenia and Iran all killed over 20k.

I always found earthquakes fascinating (don't we all). I remember seeing the Mexico City earthquake on TV when I was a child and it absolutely blew my mind how all the land had moved around.

It was 33 when I went to sleep last night.
The worst part will be when they'll stop rescue efforts and bring in the bulldozers which I was reading they'll have to do soon for public health reasons.

It’s so infuriating and unfair considering that most would have survived if the houses were built according to the rules set up by the state since the last big earthquake (and which the Government has consequently ignored and even issued amnesties to those breaking them, as late as just days before this earthquake).

It’s so infuriating and unfair considering that most would have survived if the houses were built according to the rules set up by the state since the last big earthquake (and which the Government has consequently ignored and even issued amnesties to those breaking them, as late as just days before this earthquake).
It's very complicated, in some footage it's obvious that it's not just building regulations not followed but also building with extremely poor quality materials. Have you seen the bricks that could be smashed to dust by hand? If there was an economy saving money on bricks (the cheapest of building materials) imagine what kind of quality of steel was used or what kind of concrete. Even if you were meant to build something abiding by the building regulations, who would be protecting you from businesses selling you bad products and hence making the regulations a joke? But yes the ultimate responsibility lies with the government, they could have saved this.

It's very complicated, in some footage it's obvious that it's not just building regulations not followed but also building with extremely poor quality materials. Have you seen the bricks that could be smashed to dust by hand? If there was an economy saving money on bricks (the cheapest of building materials) imagine what kind of quality of steel was used or what kind of concrete. Even if you were meant to build something abiding by the building regulations, who would be protecting you from businesses selling you bad products and hence making the regulations a joke? But yes the ultimate responsibility lies with the government, they could have saved this.

Surely there are regulations for what material can be sold and used. The whole process is corrupt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom