TV Ratings 2022

Ratings traditionally fall in spring/summer and go up in autumn into the winter.

If you compare with last year, IACGMOOH is up, but I do think that's more to do with the return to Australia and the last series being poorly rated. Strictly is down slightly, GBBO down a bit more. As for the three soaps, they are all very slightly down.

I think it's probably too soon to draw any conclusions yet, but suspect we may do in the new year.

November 21 - 27

01 World Cup: England vs USA 12.848m
02 I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! - The Final 11.866m
03 I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! 10.578m
04 Strictly Come Dancing 9.663m
05 Strictly Come Dancing: The Results 8.671m
06 World Cup: USA vs Wales 8.352m
07 World Cup: Spain vs Germany 7.710m
08 World Cup: England vs Iran 6.265m
09 World Cup: Brazil vs Serbia 6.111m
10 World Cup: Argentina vs Mexico 6.006m
11 World Cup: France vs Australia 5.837m
12 SAS Rogue Heroes 5.576m
13 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 5.301m
14 BBC News at Six 5.272m
15 World Cup: Belgium vs Canada 5.103m
16 World Cup: Croatia vs Canada 5.086m
17 World Cup: France vs Denmark 4.925m
18 Coronation Street 4.781m
19 The Larkins 4.466m
20 World Cup: Portugal vs Ghana 4.408m

Yuck.

Emmerdale would be #21 with 4.129m. I can't say where EastEnders would be as only one episode made the top 50 individual programmes at #49. That episode had 3.329m.

Last edited:
It's a shame it's a week dominated by football, because that figure for Wednesday would likely put it around #16 or #17 most weeks.

I’d love to know a breakdown per country to see if there are any differences.

Any more updates on the Traitors overnights this week Lolly? Has it increased on last week?

That is very surprising! The momentum seems massive - but I do think it will continue to increase as people catch up with the episodes live on tv.

That is very surprising! The momentum seems massive - but I do think it will continue to increase as people catch up with the episodes live on tv.
I was hoping that would drive an increase in the overnights this week though, and it hasn't really - the 'slip' last week will be largely due to people who watched ahead of broadcast for episodes 2 and 3 which wouldn't have been captured in overnight data.

I still think it will do disproportionately well on catch up though as it will appeal to a demographic far more used to watching that way.

Anything more on how The Traitors has been doing in the overnights since last week?

I haven't updated the TV ratings thread this week yet as it wasn't available on Monday, I forgot on Tuesday and then yesterday I was feeling a bit shit with this cold and couldn't be arsed.

Again the chart is hampered by football, but it's done a lot less well on catch up than I'd hoped.

The first episode consolidated to 3.883m, the second to 3.138m, and the third doesn't appear in the top 50 so I don't know what it got, other than it was less than the #50 programme which had 2.709m.

And unlike I originally thought, the figures DO include pre-transmission viewing which was possible for episodes 2 and 3.

I'm also not sure about that tweet saying Tuesday's show had the highest overnight with 2.7m, because according to BARB this week, the launch show had 2.91m in the overnight figures.

How do consolidated figures work? So for example when will we get a picture of the people who have been discovering it on iPlayer in the weeks since launch, which still seem to be a considerable proportion anecdotally.

The show is great, but leaning on word of mouth has hampered it. The Traitors is a great show, and is a fantastic new format to bring to British tv but the BBC never promoted it as much as they should have. As I said in the thread we were discussing the ratings in before it can’t be seen as anything shy of disappointing and I wasn’t expecting it to gain major traction.

I think someone said it was getting a second series though, no? So maybe they weren’t expecting big ratings for it. As @lolly said if it has attracted a certain age group then the BBC may be quite happy to be catering for that demographic.

How do consolidated figures work? So for example when will we get a picture of the people who have been discovering it on iPlayer in the weeks since launch, which still seem to be a considerable proportion anecdotally.
The chart I post includes people who watch on iPlayer in the 7 days after transmission. The barb website also used to publish 28 day consolidated figures as well, but that was removed at some point earlier this year. I do see them occasionally, but only when the BBC chooses to make them known individually through a press office tweet or something similar.

The show is great, but leaning on word of mouth has hampered it. The Traitors is a great show, and is a fantastic new format to bring to British tv but the BBC never promoted it as much as they should have. As I said in the thread we were discussing the ratings in before it can’t be seen as anything shy of disappointing and I wasn’t expecting it to gain major traction.
It does seem odd because I get the impression that the BBC seems really behind it now, but there was so little promotion before it started.

It also doesn't help that it's been fucked in the schedules because of the football. When I post the full chart later you can see what changing dates of a ratings winner like Strictly did for the ratings - a new show is going to struggle even more if broadcast dates and iplayer drops are all over the place. Perhaps they should have saved it until new year.

If there is a new series (and I'm fairly confident that sub 4m audiences aside, it's still created more buzz for the BBC with a key demographic that we'll get one, even if not on BBC1) they may strip it across two whole weeks, every night.

It does seem odd because I get the impression that the BBC seems really behind it now, but there was so little promotion before it started.

It also doesn't help that it's been fucked in the schedules because of the football. When I post the full chart later you can see what changing dates of a ratings winner like Strictly did for the ratings - a new show is going to struggle even more if broadcast dates and iplayer drops are all over the place. Perhaps they should have saved it until new year.

If there is a new series (and I'm fairly confident that sub 4m audiences aside, it's still created more buzz for the BBC with a key demographic that we'll get one, even if not on BBC1) they may strip it across two whole weeks, every night.

I think a daily show would work better for me. I hate it ending on a Thursday/Friday and having to wait until the next week, not only because I am very impatient but it kind of loses a bit of momentum. Obviously the momentum picks up again the second the next episode airs.

I just think it deserves more than the way it has been treated up until now, and scheduling issues will have had a negative impact on ratings.

I read that the show placed only second to the World Cup in attracting sign ups to iPlayer in the young audience members. Not sure that really says too much but skewing young must go in its favour.

I'm pretty sure it will be given another run. It being filmed back to back with the US version must make it more cost effective.

I think every night for two weeks would be a terrible decision. I think three a week is perfect but I’d have them Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Then you never have long waits.

November 28 - December 4

01 World Cup: England vs Senegal 14.439m
02 World Cup: Wales vs England 12.863m
03 Strictly Come Dancing 8.711m
04 Strictly Come Dancing: The Results 8.494m
05 I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Coming Out 6.835m
06 World Cup: Portugal vs Uruguay 6.221m
07 World Cup: France vs Poland 5.648m
08 World Cup: Poland vs Argentina 5.537m
09 BBC Weekend News 5.408m
10 SAS Rogue Heroes 5.326m
11 World Cup: Japan vs Spain 4.986m
12 World Cup: Netherlands vs USA 4.609m
13 Coronation Street 4.406m
14 Gogglebox 4.281m
15 World Cup: Cameroon vs Brazil 4.252m
16 BBC News at Six 4.197m
17 Emmerdale 4.025m
18 World Cup: Brazil vs Switzerland 3.942m
19 Granite Harbour 3.679m
20 EastEnders 3.528m

There is absolutely no way in hell the BBC are ditching Traitors or viewing it as a disappointment. Their biggest danger as an organisation is irrelevance to under 40s, and they had an official warning in an Ofcom report about it a few years back (plus the Tories always salivating for potential excuses to do in things like the licence fee). Short of Drag Race they don't really have much in their roster that pitches big and succeeds with 18-30s specifically, and this feels like their biggest hit in that regard in a while.

I mean those figures are fairly comparable to Love Island, for one. How would the average 9pm midweek program on BBC One usually be doing in the ratings?

I mean those figures are fairly comparable to Love Island, for one. How would the average 9pm midweek program on BBC One usually be doing in the ratings?
It's doing slightly down on Masterchef when it's had the same 9pm slot currently. And certainly more poorly than big dramas if they are in that slot, or something like Sewing Bee. But up on shows like Ambulance or Reported Missing for example, which had below 3m audiences in midweek BBC1 9pm slots in October. I'd guess it's probably about average.

But I'd agree with you about it getting a second series for exactly the reason you say. It's about who it is attracting, not who it isn't. Not many BBC1 shows get the social media attention this has. As I said before though, I'm kind of surprised it didn't go to BBC3, considering that returned to linear pretty much to get those 16-34 viewers in.

I guess it's a lot cheaper to make than dramas though, and the BBC did say earlier this year they would have to make less of those. Perhaps that's why they put it on BBC1.

Regardless if it is on BBC1, 2, 3 or 4 it has actually encapsulated me in a way that I can’t even post when it is on live as I am honestly enthralled and captivated and also I am scared I miss something.

I don't think you can really say 'fairly comparable' to Love Island though, or at least in any sense other than hardly anything getting BIG numbers any more. Love Island was getting 50% more viewers this year at a time when viewing figures are generally lower - it was top 5 most weeks.

But probably worth mentioning that when Love Island returned in 2015, it had an average audience of a little over half a millon. It didn't top 3m as an average until series 4.

I don't think you can really say 'fairly comparable' to Love Island though, or at least in any sense other than hardly anything getting BIG numbers any more. Love Island was getting 50% more viewers this year at a time when viewing figures are generally lower - it was top 5 most weeks.

But probably worth mentioning that when Love Island returned in 2015, it had an average audience of a little over half a millon. It didn't top 3m as an average until series 4.

Let’s hope it’s a grower and not a shower Lolly. 🙏🏻

No, it isn't - I mean I don't care for it, but you can't argue that Love Island isn't a pretty massive hit.

I only mentioned how low the figures for Love Island were at the start to show that it might be unrealistic to expect a brand new show like The Traitors to open big immediately - although starting on BBC1 would give it an advantage over starting on ITV2.

I think like lots of reality tv shows it’s really season 2 where the big audiences will arrive. That happened with Big Brother, The Apprentice and many others.

I think like lots of reality tv shows it’s really season 2 where the big audiences will arrive. That happened with Big Brother, The Apprentice and many others.

I think Big Brother was even later than series 2 but reality tv wasn’t quite as established at that point. I personally don’t think it will grow in to big numbers and feel it’s a shame but will happily be proved wrong as it is probably my favourite show at the moment and I would love it to grow arms and legs.

As I said before though, I'm kind of surprised it didn't go to BBC3, considering that returned to linear pretty much to get those 16-34 viewers in.
It is being repeated on BBC3.

Perhaps it was originally planned for there before they realised how good it was.

The BARB website hasn't updated yet. It's been Tuesday rather than Monday the last few weeks, but still nothing this week.

The thinkbox website has updated, but that doesn't include non-TV viewing. I'll post that if BARB doesn't update, but will hold off for a day or two in the hope that it does.

On that info it's the same as last week though - 2 of the 3 shows made the top 50 of the week, one didn't. 3.225m for the first, 3.007m for the second, and the third must have had less than 2.490m.

Last edited:
Overnights place the Traitors 5th overall last night after: Emmerdale, Royal Variety, the One show And The Chase. Not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom