Veganuary 2023

I have always thought about doing this but I’m 90% vegan anyway bar the odd bit of milk in coffee, chocolate or dairy products being an ingredient of something else. I don’t buy milk, butter or cheese anymore. I do keep thinking of making the full switch but you’d be surprised at just how difficult it actually is.

Good on you though @Sheena - best of luck!

I bought some of the bits from Lidl the other day and am quite enjoying them. Went back to get more gyros today as that was yum. I just hope they continue selling the bits after January.

I used to love Lidl gyros in its meat variety, so already have two boxes of the fake Lidl stuff in the freezer for vegetarian purposes, bought before I decided to Veganuary it.

Am making my own (vegan) sushi this evening for tomorrow’s lunch, having been gifted a rather lovey bento box for Christmas.

e5534df4-6065-4f93-8e8f-469ee559db92_1907213045.jpeg

THIS is a fucking game changer! Don't be fooled by the (terrible) other versions of This Isn't Bacon, the streaky just launched this week goes properly crispy, tastes like bacon and has the same texture. My absolute favourite so far!

I love their fake chicken marinated stuff but weirdly the plain fake chicken is horrible.

I had their pigs in blankets last year and they were really good. I can’t remember if I’ve tried the actual sausages yet but will give them a go on that recommendation!

I quite like the other This Isn't bacon, in that it gives the same (delicious) indigestion as smoky bacon crisps.

Even better than my last post, I have never found a more convincing meat substitute than this:

LN_477531_BP_11.jpg

It's described as "cooking chorizo" and, to be fair, I found that to be exactly right. Raw it's ok, but cooked it's fucking fantastic. I just made a tomato pasta with it and the texture was close to the real thing and, most importantly, the whole dish tasted properly like chorizo. Even Mr Sheena who is vehemently anti- "fake" meat thought it was wonderful.

As with the This Is comments above, don't be fooled by the sandwich chorizo, though- it's gash.

I've been trying this and so far it's been fine apart from a few cases where I genuinely forgot - like in some tinned olives stuffed with anchovies. Which of course I then ate because I'm not gonna chuck them in the bin. And a few things like noodles with chicken stock I forgot, and Mr. RoM making me an occasional tea with normal milk. But that's fine it's inevitable sometimes and it takes a while to think about what you're doing.

I feel like a bit of a FRAUD because I was vegetarian for bit saying how easy it all was, only for that to fall apart soon enough, although I rarely went back to red meat. It's much harder when living with someone who still eats all that stuff. A poor excuse maybe but it IS.

However because work circumstances mean we're eating at different times right now it was a good chance to try it for a month. Really enjoying it so far. Weirdly dairy isn't a problem for me as much, I like oat milk (though a bit weird in tea - nicer in coffee) and cheese was a bane anyway as I could eat it like CRISPS. But I like vegan cheese if I do want it

Mostly on various combos of beans/lentils/rice with veg and salad, hummus on the side and other odds and sods and I realise I'm pretty happy with that! Pasta sometimes, mushrooms. Haven't bought too many "like meat" products yet as they're very hit and miss, but bought a plant based salmon fillet yesterday which was...fine.

And luckily cauliflower curry is something we both love and something we did more because it was cheaper as much as anything else! You get shit tons out of one cauliflower

I really don't mind it at all, the Viola one or whatever it's called is fine. Grated on something I don't even notice the difference *that* much

I bought some vegan mayo today. Fuck me it better be good because regular mayonnaise is PURE SEX

As mentioned previously, Applewood Smoked is great and the new Cathedral City cheddar is tolerable. I’ve picked up some artisan almond based cheese today in the hope it isn’t foul, but I’m not holding out much hope.

Vegan mayo is fine. No issue there at all. Stupidly fattening still though!

I fell off the veggie/vegan wagon a while ago for reasons but have been back on mostly plant based +/- fish (:shy: ) for the past year
Looking to get back to fully vegan for 2023.
I've had to say GOODBYE to CHEESE :(

Cheese is the deal breaker for me for being more vegan.

Well, that, fish and the occasional chicken wing :D

I fell off the veggie/vegan wagon a while ago for reasons but have been back on mostly plant based +/- fish (:shy: ) for the past year
Looking to get back to fully vegan for 2023.
I've had to say GOODBYE to CHEESE :(

I nearly DIED when I thought, "shit, I can't have FISH AND CHIPS"? :wownic:I may as well kill myself

I'm not promising myself anything yet. I'll commit for now, but fish  might come back on the menu. Little tins of sardines and mackerel were a staple of mine so that's going to be hard.

An upside to this is I've really enjoyed going food shopping and looking out for different types of food to try. Even though I've mostly stuck to grains/legume based foods, that can still be a lot of fun to play with, and I love seeing the vegan section and seeing what's on offer.

I got some half price Linda McCartney burgers today. Nothing fancy or new there of course, but I appreciate the fact I'm actively looking out for new things (and bargains if any)

An upside to this is I've really enjoyed going food shopping and looking out for different types of food to try. Even though I've mostly stuck to grains/legume based foods, that can still be a lot of fun to play with, and I love seeing the vegan section and seeing what's on offer.

I got some half price Linda McCartney burgers today. Nothing fancy or new there of course, but I appreciate the fact I'm actively looking out for new things (and bargains if any)

Be careful with the Lindas- sometimes they're not vegan, depending on which one they are.

I always approach Veganuary the same way you do. It's about finding new things for me rather than it being a challenge. I am mostly veggetarian/ pescetarian in my every day life but I enjoy the challenge of finding new stuff and substitutes and seeing what fits. Some are great (see above), some fucking appalling. But some things from previous Veganuarys have stayed in my regular shopping basket as a result, which has to be a good thing...

LOVE a tinned sardine. Try this too:

If we're sharing Waitrose fish pasta recipes we had this last night (although with shallots as I forgot to get onions) and it was delicious.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/recipe/caramelised-onion-anchovy-spaghetti

And the anchovies melt to nothing into the sauce, so you can pretend it's not fish at all.

Be careful with the Lindas- sometimes they're not vegan, depending on which one they are.

For fuck sake of course, and I've just checked and you're right!

You'd think I'd have realised - they're called vegetarian MOZZARELLA burgers :manson:/:D
I just saw half price, wet my knickers and whipped it out of the freezer enthusiastically without remembering there is veggie vs vegan.

Oh well! Now I have to eat them?! I suppose I could just give them to him and be done..

But you're right, it's about experimenting and seeing if any changes stick rather than hardline dieting. Mistakes will be made. Clearly!

For fuck sake of course, and I've just checked and you're right!

You'd think I'd have realised - they're called vegetarian MOZZARELLA burgers :manson:/:D
I just saw half price, wet my knickers and whipped it out of the freezer enthusiastically without remembering there is veggie vs vegan.

Oh well! Now I have to eat them?! I suppose I could just give them to him and be done..

:D

They are absolutely lovely as well! Amongst my favourites. To be fair, they are frozen- you don't have to eat them NOW! :D

The Linda burgers are great and packed with protein too. Anybody I’ve recommended them to from my meat eater friends still buy them.

I quite like the Linda burgers but I'm convinced her bangers are made of upcycled chipboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom