8.5 Girlfriend
09 Midnight Fantasy
08 I.O.U.
09 No Trix No Games
09 I Wish
10 Watcha' Talkin' 'Bout
06 Unconditional Love
07 Every Part of Me

What I find fascinating about the Spice Girls is the way the 5 elements came together to create something so special, and how those elements were subsequently channelled into their solo careers. With the other four it felt relatively organic. Geri was always going to be the one to take the Spice baton with a load of full-frontal gay pop anthems, Mel C was always the talented underdog so the singer-songwriter route fitted her well, Mel B had a bit of edge to her that made RnB make sense (even though she made a right pigs ear of it) and Emma was the sweet girl who segued into the retro/adult contemporary fare that was reflected in the likes of Stop and 2 Become 1. It didn't really leave Victoria with anything. Her USP was 'aloof', and it's hard to channel that into a specific musical direction.

If anything, in a post-Gaga world maybe she could have owned it and really lived that image. Instead she tried to humanise herself, and as a result this album feels uncomfortably like damage control, which isn't a great place to start from.

Last edited:
I think if we could categorise the VB 'sound', it was meant to be polished and Americanised, in the way that only American pop acts seemed to be. As to whether that worked and why it didn't sell, I have nothing to offer, because I think other people's comments hit the nail on the head.

Listening to it now though, I REALLY DO love 'Like That' and 'No Trix, No Games'. 'Watcha Talking Bout' is the only time we'll ever get a Spice Girl talking about their relationship with another Spice Girl, through the medium of song.

07 Not Such an Innocent Girl
03 A Mind of its own
00 That Kind of Girl
00 Like That
00 Girlfriend
04 Midnight Fantasy
00 I.O.U.
04 No Trix No Games
00 I Wish
00 Watcha' Talkin' 'Bout
00 Unconditional Love
00 Every Part of Me

:disco:

Fabulous rate, darl! :D

I tried to listen again to rate it properly but it's all so FLAT and BORING I gave up.

I like the singles and IOU. That's it. I thought No Trix No Games was great at the time but it's aged HIDEOUSLY. The rest I can't even be bothered with.

I tried to listen again to rate it properly but it's all so FLAT and BORING I gave up.

I like the singles and IOU. That's it. I thought No Trix No Games was great at the time but it's aged HIDEOUSLY. The rest I can't even be bothered with.
I couldn't bring myself to listen to it either. I remember IOU being alright.

C'EST CLASSIQUE

07 Not Such an Innocent Girl
07 A Mind of its own
08 That Kind of Girl
10 Like That
8.5 Girlfriend
09 Midnight Fantasy
08 I.O.U.
09 No Trix No Games
09 I Wish
10 Watcha' Talkin' 'Bout
06 Unconditional Love
07 Every Part of Me

I assume this is on some sort of Jark scale?

What was the really nice track on LA State of Mind? In Too Deep?

Hot was fabulous! Pack your shit and get the hell out if you disagree!

Terrible. The worst solo debut by a Spice Girl.

Don-t pretend like you've never listened to HOT Lou!

08 Not Such an Innocent Girl
07 A Mind of its own
07 That Kind of Girl
11 Like That (This should have been a single, the sound it's very of it's time, it would have done wonders for her I mean if AMOI went Top 10 this could have been Top 5 easily)
10 Girlfriend
05 Midnight Fantasy
08 I.O.U.
08 No Trix No Games
09 I Wish
07 Watcha' Talkin' 'Bout
08 Unconditional Love
02 Every Part of Me

a lot of my 7's and 8's are due to the songs aging in a horrible horrible way, I feel this will happen in a few years when the Red One/Guetta sound goes stale :(

Wasn't this the most expensive album out of all 5 of them in production terms? I read it cost around 10 million :disco:

Last edited:
11 Like That (This should have been a single, the sound it's very of it's time, it would have done wonders for her I mean if AMOI went Top 10 this could have been Top 5 easily)
e

Poor deluded Pipo :D

Oh and it's 'its' :)

Hot is better than VB in my opinion. Tell Me, Feels So Good, Pack Your Shit are better than anything on this album. And even Mel B's pre-album duet was better than VB's (although OOYM is quite the max track in its own right)

Also Lullaby > Unconditional Love

Both VOMIT INDUCING, but at least Mel kept Phoenix OFF THE TRACK.

Last edited:
I don't mind Lullaby TBH. The production sounds horrible today, but as far as drippy children-ballads go, it's more Little Star than My Baby

Poor Phoenix

She is by far the most unattractive Spice child, and yet born of the most attractive Spice Girl

She's the black Rumer Willis

NO TRIX. NO GAMES. JUST ME.

08. Not Such An Innocent Girl
09. A Mind of Its Own
09. That Kid of Girl
09. Like That
08. Girlfriend
10. Midnight Fantasy
09. I. O. U
08. No Trix, No Games
10. I Wish
09. Watcha Talkin' Bout
09. Unconditional Love
10. Every Part of Me

Easily in my top 5 solo Spice albums. The songs are stellar, nicely arranged, it could easily be an Ophélie Winter album. I do love that on the last trach, to get her "you do mommy" moments she's obviously just shaking the thing in the recording booth then offloading it back to the nanny. The FLOW is marvelous, I don't think individual cuts stand up to scrutiny (as singles their scores would probably shrink), but I think it's much better than I could ever have expected it to be. Far too urban to have a chart life of course.

I remember talkin' constantly
Cos were were cool like that
Watching a DVD
But now it's let's do lunch
The limo pickin' you up around three

1. Free Me
2. Northern Star
3. Schizophonic
4. Life in Mono
5. A Girl Like Me

01 Free Me
02 Life In Mono
03 Passion
04 Schizophonic (almost entirely based on the singles)
05 A Girl Like Me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom