A Gwyneth Paltrow opinion poll

What do you think of Gwyneth Paltrow?

• Total voters
To be honest, that doesn't really fit in with what he was saying else he wouldn't be working as a low paid waiter in Cyprus.

can't pretend to know about his situation but all my friends who are neither the best educated or even smartest people in the country seem to be perfectly capable of finding work even if it's not as high paying as they'd like
a low paid waiter in cyprus probably makes quite a bit more than one back home though

anyway, i haven't been home in over a year and we digress

Like many people here, I used to hate her but have learned to like her a bit when I realised that she seems to have a sense of humour about her. I used to think she was a dull, overly serious bitch.

She looks a fucking STATE in one of the tabloids today though in some bizarre half paneled, half net dress.

Here we are. What the fuck?

Gwyneth-Paltrow-at-Iron-Man-3-Premiere-03-560x880.jpg

At least she can laugh at herself, I suppose.

I DISLIKE HER

but I've warmed to her because I love her as Pepper in both Iron Man movies (yet to see the third one) and in The Avengers :(

Her CLOTHING BRAND IS the most ridiculous piece of shit I've seen this year, I need to post some NOTABLE ITEMS for Moopy's enjoyment

*buys a plain white t-shirt for $40*

Last edited:
I fell in love with her the moment I saw the finale of Iron Man in which she runs around in skyscraper heels :disco:

And then there's THIS:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aQGyTKoByWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She's alright. I quite preferred her in 'Shakespeare in love' to Cate Blanchett in 'Elizabeth' although I was hoping Fernanda Montenegro could win that year.

She didn't really deserve that Oscar but she was GOOD in Shakespeare in Love, which REVISIONISM has unfairly rewritten as a FROTHY LITTLE FILM when it's actually a WONDERFUL THEATRE ROMP. Hadley Freeman wrote an article in the G2 the other day about Gwyneth being the ultimate celebrity troll, it was quite funny.

Here it is

Gwyneth Paltrow and her crackpot diet may be laughable – but it's pure genius

You might think that early April had been all about one particular towering if divisive figure, one who polarised nations with her extraordinary pronouncements. Love her or hate her, you have to admit, that woman made an impact and that woman is, of course, Gwyneth Paltrow.

Paltrow's latest contribution to ameliorating the terrible malnutrition suffered by swaths of the world's population – everyone but Paltrow, in fact – has just been published in the UK under the title It's All Good. And indeed it is, if your approach to food is completely crackpot served up with a hefty side of overprivilege. In short, if you thought Pippa Middleton's book Celebrate read more like an internet parody than an actual book written by an actual person for which publishers paid actual money, you ain't seen nothing until you've read La Paltrow's contribution to the genre.

While ostensibly a cookbook, It's All Good is a cookbook characterised by a complete fear of food. Paltrow explains in the beginning how she was inspired to write the book when she nearly died after eating too many french fries (I am not exaggerating here) and so went to a doctor, submitted herself to more medical tests than a sufferer of Munchausen's syndrome and came up with the diagnosis that her body was in crisis. A doctor duly decreed that she is allergic to pretty much everything, including peppers, corn and aubergine, and should eat next to nothing. Except quinoa. And maybe some pomegranate on special occasions.

Gwyneth, with the kind of self-centred self-righteousness that only Hollywood A-listers can master, decided that if she needs to follow this medically dubious "elimination" diet (a diet one doctor has already described as "at best non-evidence-based hope, and at worst plain old malpractice"), then so does everyone else in the world. Hence It's All Good, a cookbook that is food-phobic, a treatise on nutrition that contains about as much actual science as a Gillian McKeith book. In short, Paltrow's concept of nutrition casts extreme doubt on the efficacy of the private schools system in Manhattan that educated her so expensively.

The food and literary establishments have described It's All Good as "laughable Hollywood neuroticism about eating taken to the next level" and "quack science". Yahoo gleefully pointed out that to eat as Paltrow suggests would cost $300 (about ÂŁ200) a day, which I actually think is quite a bargain considering Paltrow once recommended a detox costing ÂŁ275 for 21 days, and that involved nearly no food at all. In any case, it feels like a bit of a wasted jab on Yahoo's part to say that Gwyneth's $300 diet smacks of Marie Antoinette-esque privilege: did they not read the section in which she blithely notes how she has so many apples to spare thanks to the orchard around her massive house in the Hamptons?

It's easy to make fun of Paltrow – I've just done it for 450 words without breaking a sweat – but I've begun to think that, actually, she might be a genius. True, genius is not really a word that one associates with a 40-year-old who has a penchant for boasting that she has "the butt of a 22-year-old stripper", or announcing "I would rather die than let my kids eat Cup-a-Soup." But it has become increasingly clear to me that Paltrow is brilliantly trolling the world.

Just as some youngsters today do not know who Margaret Thatcher is, so there must be a whole generation that doesn't know Paltrow was once a talented actor as opposed to a cheerleader for tofu. However, during the past decade Paltrow appears to have decided to jettison her career and become a full-time spouter of nonsense about food, exercise and her own inner journey, all detailed on her website, Goop. This now seems to give her so much more pleasure than acting, and considering her next role is in Iron Man 3, that's understandable. But because I refuse to believe that anyone can be as bizarre as Paltrow presents herself, I suspect she is engaging in a giant satire on the world, creating a self-image that is as much a parody of the modern-day celebrity as William Boot was of the 20th-century journalist.

Consider: 1. An obsession with food, dieting, exercise and crackpot theories thereof; 2. A stonkingly myopic sense of overprivilege; 3. Giving one's children extraordinary names; 4. An unfortunate tendency to dabble in embarrassing hip-hop moves and parlance.

These are the cliched characteristics of a celebrity today and Paltrow embodies them all to an extraordinarily overblown degree. The net result is that she now gets far more press for being this parody of a celebrity than she ever got for being an actual celebrity. Sure, a lot of the attention might be negative, but at least it's attention, and, as some female columnists have also learned, making oneself into a laughable figure can be a very lucrative sideline.

Mail Online is so enthralled with pronouncements about Gwyneth's butt and her gluten intolerance that they basically have a whole section dedicated to her. This is because the media itself is as fond of spreading misinformation about food, female body shape and exercise as Paltrow and, as a result, her nonsensical book has currently garnered twice as many Google hits as Iron Man 3.

Paltrow seems to have realised at just the right point that the difference between being a 20th- and 21st-century celebrity is that the former required some talent and the latter requires only self-exposure, and if that means becoming a laughing stock along the way, she can laugh herself all the way to the bank. Gwyneth Paltrow: modern-day genius or embodiment of modern day ills? Whatever, it's all good.

Last edited:
:D

that said i'm sure she is entirely honest in all her crazy

the thing is when you're rich and have achieved pretty much the most you can in your field (well gotten an oscar anyway) what do you do next?

i'm pretty sure i'd be all about travelling, eating healthy, exercising and not giving a crap what others think about it too

though perhaps i'd keep it to myself for the most part and look for some meaning endeavours too whatever they might be to me

has anyone been following the whole vanity fair vs gwen saga? it is honestly one of the most disgusting things i've seen in media in a long time.

I think they are doing an exposé on her in which they claim she's a fraud with her diet and all that but that's from a blind items site.

Isn't there also an article coming out soon exposing all her affairs (apparently). Enty Lawyer on Twitter mentioned it last week.

they are apparently doing a big "take down" piece on her centering around her alleged affair with some rich older man. as a result of this thing which isn't even out half the news outlets in the world are reporting about her having this supposed affair. i noticed yesterday some publications running stories speculating what her "dirty secrets" could be.

why the hell is this anyone's business? is she running for president? is she spending tax payer money? is she the head of the catholic church? is she the only hypocrite in hollywood? or among the human race for that matter?

it's a classic case of wanting to tear someone down for some arbitrary reason

Wendy is out to get her too. Every other Hot Topics at the moment is raking over Gwynnie's dirty laundry.

Vanity Fair are AWFUL with their celebrity exposes. 10 years ago they SERIOUSLY accused Michael Jackson of sacrificing cows to put spells on his enemies in Hollywood. I wonder if the Gwyneth story is by the same hack Maureen Orth, who gets away with everything because her husband is quite a powerful media figure.

Last edited:
You can tell that the media were turning on her (were they ever on her side?) when a story about her crossing some kids while driving her scooter is on TMZ.

Vanity Fair are AWFUL with their celebrity exposes. 10 years ago they SERIOUSLY accused Michael Jackson of sacrificing cows to put spells on his enemies in Hollywood. I wonder if the Gwyneth story is by the same hack Maureen Orth, who gets away with everything because her husband is quite a powerful media figure.

i wouldn't be surprised if they're only doing it for publicity and paltrow's just a random target. it's just the way everyone has played into their game that drives me bonkers.

Ooo... so she hasn't! But isn't that quite common? Other winners since her win to have only had that single nomination:

Natalie Portman
Sandra Bullock
Marion Cotillard
Reese Witherspoon
Halle Berry

That looks like quite a lot to me.

Sorry to be a pedant, but one of those listed has 2 oscar nominatiins, with 1 win.

Gwyneth can come across as unpleasantly smug and entitled when I see quotes from her (like the one about her being unable to pretend she earns $25k a year) but when you see or hear her being interviewed, she clearly sends herself up a lot and mocks how she's perceived.

Incredibly solid Gwyneth performances: Flesh & Bone, Seven, Hard Eight, Sliding Doors, Shakespeare In Love, The Talented Mr Ripley, The Royal Tenenbaums, Sylvia, Proof.

I don't remember that particular part of the Michael Jackson expose, but the 2 articles that were written were fascinating reading, and it was completely belieable that Michael Jackson groomed 12/13 year old boys from vulnerable backgrounds, effectively paying their parents off. The man was a paedophile, after all.

One of Maureen Orth's articles: There were 2 published: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2005/07/orth200507#

Last edited:
I don't really care for Gywneth. I certainly don't think she's the worlds most beautiful woman and she's VERY FAR from being the worlds most exciting. Realistically the option for me would be 'don't care' but I selected 'dislike' because I can't really understand hear universal appeal.

I don't know what it is but I really love her. She's a bit mental and seems not to be too haughty or up herself. She's that friend who would get smashed with you on a night out and then get up at 6 the next morning to cook up a miracle hangover cure breakfast, gluten free and locally sourced natch. And of course she's a fab actor.

"CONTAGION" SPOILER ALERT:

I LOVE that she was so unceremoniously killed off within the first 5 minutes despite featuring so heavily on the promo materials. Get money Gwyn! :disco:

I quite liked Wendy Williams a little while ago saying if she were Gwyneth's friend, that receiving an email asking her not to talk to Vanity Fair would "make me wanna turn on her" whilst laughing with absolutely no sympathy.

Last edited:
Happy 50th Birthday to our GOOP Queen, everyone's favorite nepo baby and the worst part of the MCU :disco:

I loathe her.

She f***ed her way to Oscar glory. She won for Shakespeare in Love - a truly mediocre and forgettable film. Cate Blanchett deserved to win for 'Elizabeth', but Gwyneth was allegedly shagging Harvey Weinstein who campaigned relentlessly for her.
Oh dear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom