Ariana Grande - yes, and? / Eternal Sunshine (out now)

YES, AND?

• Total voters
I’m enjoying this album, it’s a solid piece of work. There’s nothing that I particularly love or would rush to as a standalone track but it’s definitely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

This is exactly my take after a first full listen. I definitely feel the need to go back to it which is great, but she does have a habit of holding back on songs. It’s almost like she feels self conscious about having an amazing set of pipes, and doesn’t want to stretch herself. Im liking the overall vibe at the moment but I’m hoping that a couple of the tracks reveal themselves separately , eventually. Right now nothing comes close to the single.

The Troye version of supernatural is great. Does he say "You said you wanted an anon meet - boy you read my mind"? :ken:
oh.

Capture.PNG

Spotify Update: 03/10

WW: #1 — (+1) [+6,963,090 plays] *New Peak*

US: #2 — (=) [+2,094,547 plays]

the album is smashing hard and We can't be friends jumped by 2m (!) to 9.1m streams yesterday on spotty - she's coming for that Hot 100 #1 debut for sure

so I've heard the inevitable Robyn x Ariana mashup, however, I'm still waiting on the P!nk x Ariana one :disco:

We can't be friends feels like it will be one those songs that will have an incredibly long and lucrative shelf life. Deserved.

The outro :disco: :disco: :disco:

Last edited:
10 don't wanna break up again - Gorgeous. The melodies are so pretty and peak R&B. Her voice sounds so rich here.
07 eternal sunshine - It's cute but the chorus is borderline annoying.
06 supernatural - This sounds too Disney for me.
06 true story - Finally some vocal moments! But unfortunately a very dated-sound song.
08 the boy is mine - The vocals arrangements is very 90s drama.
09 yes, and? - Still a banger.
07 we can't be friends - Sounds like Robyn production on a Katy Perry tune. The dull vocal arrangement kinda deflates the song though.
06 i wish i hated you - A song like this needed more vocals. Instead it sounds like filler.
07 imperfect for you - It sounds very filler-y.
08 ordinary things - LOVE this chorus. Her voice is so beautiful.
05 supernatural (with troye sivan) - Unnecessary.

Last edited:
It's definitely a "vibe" album, which seems to be her thing. Not sure if it's purposeful, but it's nice to see that the album is still very much necessary in music.

My biggest criticism is the lack of vocal variety. NOBODY likes breathy vocals more than me, but the album goes on back to back songs of just breathy vocals to the point where that tone loses its effect.

I finally listened to this in full this week, and wow, you okay hun?

She really seems to have BEEN THROUGH IT. But I was right there with her as she told the story, which has to be a good thing.

TMZ reporting she and Ethan Slater have broken up 🥴

“We Can’t Be Friends” is officially #1 on the Hot 100.

Her Hot 100 #1s feel so random. Her biggest hits don’t feel represented at all, probably because she didn’t have any until 2018-19

Thank U, Next
7 Rings
Stuck With U
Rain On Me
Positions
Save Your Tears (Remix)
Die for You (Remix)
Yes, And?
We Can't Be Friends (Waiting for Love)

08 bye
07 don't wanna break up again
06 eternal sunshine
08 supernatural
06 true story
06 the boy is mine
11 yes, and?
08 we can't be friends
07 i wish i hated you
07 imperfect for you
06 ordinary things

The ratings might seem a little harsh but there's no bad song and the album is more the sum of its parts. As a whole it's a fun journey and her lyrics are strong. If there wasn't a max track on there it might be a middling overall but the big song tips it over into strong territory. Overall a win for me.

I'm really enjoying this album now. I think it takes a few listens.

My ranking:

1. we can't be friends
2. don't wanna break up again
3. yes, and?
4. supernatural
5. true story
6. the boy is mine
7. imperfect for you
8. eternal sunshine
9. ordinary things
10. bye
11. i wish i hated you

The we can't be friends video is just beautiful and so sad. And this live perf is pretty stunning - I love the use of screens:

My album rank:

1 yes, and?
2 imperfect for you
3 don’t wanna break up again
4 true story
5 supernatural
6 eternal sunshine
7 the boy is mine
8 bye
9 we can’t be friends
10 i wish i hated you
11 ordinary things

i love we can't be friends but the chorus lyrics are giving pathetic desperation

ill wait till you like me again
ill wait for your love
love
ill wait for your love

girl...

The judges asked her to show some vulnerability, and she did. We’re not going to fault her for that.

i love we can't be friends but the chorus lyrics are giving pathetic desperation

ill wait till you like me again
ill wait for your love
love
ill wait for your love

girl...
given that it's directed at the media, it's not desperate at all, it's - ok, you don't like me now. we know you're fickle and I'll ride this out. no? that's how I understood it. hence the papers and pens line.

Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom