Atomic Kitten - Southgate You're The One (Football's Coming Home Again)

Natasha looks great. I think the last time she entered public consciousness in any meaningful way was that time she rocked up to the MOBOs in blackface.

1625699199743.png

Natasha sounds GREAT (low note aside).

Liz's harmonies were definitely audible, and Jenny was serving some nice swaying!

This is so all-round REDUCTIVE :D

Good for them for getting some quick coin I GUESS, but IMAGINE a band like All Saints destroying one of their legacy tracks like Pure Shores by turning it into a QUICK BUCK TERRACE SENSATION :D

I guess Atomic Kitten were hardly HIGH ART in the first place, so I doubt leaving a legacy means much to them :D :eyes:

An interview and a quick chorus from the girls (well not Jenny, who was absent and presumably resting her voice) on Channel 4 news tonight.

Our Tash looked especially fabulous.

An interview and a quick chorus from the girls (well not Jenny, who was absent and presumably resting her voice) on Channel 4 news tonight.

Our Tash looked especially fabulous.

She had to fly back to Ibiza, darling.

This entire DEBACLE made me revisit their chart history, they really didn't have as many memorable hits, or indeed singles, as I seem to remember :D Especially as You Are, Cradle and Anyone Who Had A Heart BARELY COUNT!

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/8582/atomic-kitten/

Weren't Love Doesn't Have To Hurt and If You Come To Me essentially the SAME SONG? :D
There's very little I'd ever put on voluntarily. Be With You or The Last Goodbye if FORCED!

Last edited:
It's OK! was lovely too but has lost a bit of lustre since its summery heyday back in Primary 5.

Their biggest problem I think was that they had incredibly cheap production. All their ballads basically have the exact same backing track - which is a shame because The Last Goodbye could have been a gorgeous song with a bit more money behind it.

First time listening to that in most likely over a DECADE, and totally agree. There's a really nice pop ballad in there but the production is HORRIBLE and so so dated :D
The tempo also sounds like it's been recorded several times faster than the song needs to be.

An orchestral Sugababes ballad reading of it would have likely been STUNNING!

It is genuinely near-identical to their terrible cover of Eternal Flame. It's like they just wrote a (much nicer) song over the top of it.

And at that point they were arguably the biggest girl group in the UK and selling loads of records in Europe! There was NO NEED for them to sound that cheap!

Am I right in thinking it's about suicide? Surprisingly dark for a band whose discography also includes a cover of the theme from The Big Country.

Yes! It’s about chucking yourself off the bridge on a motorway. Emotive and beautiful.

Their songs were generally a bit cheap and ropey (though I had the revamped version of Right Now the album on cassette and loved it), but Tash really is quite underrated as a vocalist, especially given that they were big in the era of S Club and Hear Say and the rest of the Now 48 CD 1 cast.

Be With You had a near note-for-note cover by an obscure Japanese girlband :D :disco:

A Japanese number 34 smash :disco:

There was also a Spanish version of The Last Goodbye allegedly, called 'Algun dia de adios' but I can't find trace of it online. I wonder if noted IBIZA RESIDENT Jenny Frost took lead vocal on that version :disco:

I really liked Someone Like Me when it was released mostly because it stood out. I know pop bands In the early noughties were all about being ropey but, talk about sticking to a motif and running with it for too long. Nearly every single ballad they released sounded like a cover of their cover of Eternal Flame. They could easily release a 20 minute medley of all of them.

Oh I fancy an Atomic Kitten morning actually

The Last Goodbye is one of the best songs EVER, don’t believe anything that bitch wurst tells you :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom