Atomic Kitten - Southgate You're The One (Football's Coming Home Again)

In unrelated but also related news, I tried to listen to 'I Want Your Love' earlier, as I seem to remember it being a semi-lost pop classic...it's basically a complete HEADACHE of a song isn't it.
I'm sure it's partly due to me being in the TWILIGHT YEARS of LIFE, but I had to turn it off after a minute or so, it really was just NOISE POLLUTION!

In unrelated but also related news, I tried to listen to 'I Want Your Love' earlier, as I seem to remember it being a semi-lost pop classic...it's basically a complete HEADACHE of a song isn't it.
I'm sure it's partly due to me being in the TWILIGHT YEARS of LIFE, but I had to turn it off after a minute or so, it really was just NOISE POLLUTION!
Also those early songs don't have one inkling of any of their voices at all! Especially Kerry :D

1. The Tide Is High (Get the Feeling) - Objectively bad but I can't disconnect it from my nostalgia of the Lizzie Mcguire movie
2. Whole Again
3. Be With You
4. The Last Goodbye
5. The rest of them

The Tide Is High has over 115,000,000+ streams on Spotify???

That feels UNNECESSARILY HIGH to me!
Am I totally unaware of it being a huge global hit that is still beloved to this very day??

The Tide Is High has over 115,000,000+ streams on Spotify???

That feels UNNECESSARILY HIGH to me!
Am I totally unaware of it being a huge global hit that is still beloved to this very day??
Maybe I'm being delusional, but I think it was a lot bigger American hit than its lack of charting suggests. I'd say most people in their 20's/30's would know it

I had no idea it was a cult American success, but their Tide Is High was definitely a massive hit across Europe.

I recall being AGOG when I found out that Be With You was based on an ELO song but I'm not sure why I was shocked, their discography was full of covers

Anyway that and Hole Again are their best, aside from those two it really is slim pickings

08 Right Now
06 See Ya
07 I Want Your Love
05 Follow Me
10 Whole Again
03 Eternal Flame
07 You Are
08 It's OK
05 The Tide Is High
08 The Last Goodbye
08 Be With You
06 Love Doesn't Have To Hurt
04 If You Come To Me
03 Ladies Night
06 Someone Like Me
05 Cradle
NA Southgate You're The One (Unclassifiable)

I get that they were being pushed in a different direction for those first few singles, but how the fuck was FOLLOW ME released before Whole Again?! :D

Who could forget when LIZ MCCLARNON staked her claim as the UK's answer to BABS with this oddity of a cover version released on All Around The World records....that she never followed up :D

I wonder if she still lives in a HOTEL!

Yes! Who was A&Ring THAT solo career effort?

I can't quite believe that it actually went TOP FIVE (briefly)

I get that they were being pushed in a different direction for those first few singles, but how the fuck was FOLLOW ME released before Whole Again?! :D

I remember thinking at this time how absolutely atrocious this song was, and that opinion still remains.
Who was it even meant to appeal to - British CHRISTIANS?

The lyric "follow me, we'll go walking in paradise" is actually quite DARK if you think about it...:shock:

Who could forget when LIZ MCCLARNON staked her claim as the UK's answer to BABS with this oddity of a cover version released on All Around The World records....that she never followed up :D

I wonder if she still lives in a HOTEL!

Funny that she doesn't replicate Barbra's iconic longest note ever held on a number one

They get royalties off of the BACK CATALOGUE twice a year, and I would love to know HOW MUCH? Surely it is pennies? They don’t have writing credits on any of the songs? :confused:

08 Right Now
06 See Ya
07 I Want Your Love
05 Follow Me
10 Whole Again
03 Eternal Flame
07 You Are
08 It's OK
05 The Tide Is High
08 The Last Goodbye
08 Be With You
06 Love Doesn't Have To Hurt
04 If You Come To Me
03 Ladies Night
06 Someone Like Me
05 Cradle
NA Southgate You're The One (Unclassifiable)
Oh shit I forgot Someone Like Me. That was mint.

Why did they just BREAK UP after album 3 also? Was there no interest LEFT?

I'd have expected a limp attempt at a disco direction AT LEAST! They could have borrowed I Need Somebody from Bardot, JOB DONE!

They get royalties off of the BACK CATALOGUE twice a year, and I would love to know HOW MUCH? Surely it is pennies? They don’t have writing credits on any of the songs? :confused:

If they didn't write anything, then seriously barely anything!
Airplay is the only thing that brings in serious royalties these days (and even then it's only the major stations at peak times, mainly BBC, that bring the coin). Spotify hardly pays anything at all, even when you get into millions of plays.

If Whole Again remains as a radio staple, then the writers of that will be doing OK.

07 Right Now
05 See Ya
07 I Want Your Love
06 Follow Me
10 Whole Again
07 Eternal Flame
06 You Are
08 It's OK
07 The Tide Is High
10 The Last Goodbye
10 Be With You
07 Love Doesn't Have To Hurt
05 If You Come To Me
06 Ladies Night
?? Someone Like Me
00 Cradle
11 Southgate You're The One

I’m so glad the definitive version of Atomic Kitten has reformed. Jenny Frost was THE voice and THE bob of the band.

It’s just fucking disgusting it’s for something such Straight Pride.

Thank you baby? POD OFF.

Liz famously composed Someone Like Me ALL BY HERSELF, so I'm sure she gets at least 50p a year out of that.

I'm slightly obsessed with that video since somebody on Twitter pointed out what an OBNOXIOUS COUCH HOG Jenny is in it. :D

Let us never forget that Dame Liz McClarnon SOLELY invented hun culture with her fictional perfume launch.

And yes, they surely don't get much in the way of royalties AT ALL, so I can't really resent them CASHING IN on this unlikely stroke of luck. If it gets them a few more corporate gigs and increases their booking fee for a while, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank!

Liz famously composed Someone Like Me ALL BY HERSELF, so I'm sure she gets at least 50p a year out of that.

I'm slightly obsessed with that video since somebody on Twitter pointed out what an OBNOXIOUS COUCH HOG Jenny is in it. :D

I actually really love this :D Such an oddity as a single, but a slight oddity of CREAM in a catalogue of BEIGE isn't exactly a bad thing.

If they didn't write anything, then seriously barely anything!
Airplay is the only thing that brings in serious royalties these days (and even then it's only the major stations at peak times, mainly BBC, that bring the coin). Spotify hardly pays anything at all, even when you get into millions of plays.

If Whole Again remains as a radio staple, then the writers of that will be doing OK.

A quick check on Wikipedia says no on songwriting credits, but an article with Liz says they get 2 royalty payments a year which help out with her “shopping addiction”. 🤷‍♀️

Didn't LIZ have some weird unspoken DRAMA with former boyfriend LEE from BLUE on The Big Reunion? My memory is really shot to pieces.

I think the inference was that Lee was partial to a bit of COCK but wouldn't admit it, but as ever - I may be incorrect! :hostage:

RANK of The Greatest Hits only. Sorry to keep you all waiting

01 Be With You
02 It's OK!
03 If You Come To Me
04 The Last Goodbye
05 Love Doesn't Have to Hurt
06 Ladies Night
07 Whole Again
08 The Tide is High (Get the Feeling)
09 You Are
10 Eternal Flame
11 Right Now
12 I Want Your Love
13 Someone Like Me
14 See Ya
15 Cradle

Follow me: I don't know her

Why did Natasha not bother AT ALL with any semblance of a solo career. Her only spotify credit is some weird Christmas duet from THIS YEAR!

This is actually up to 13 on Spotify, while the other football songs have fallen

07 Right Now
05 See Ya
08 I Want Your Love
04 Follow Me
11 Whole Again
10 Eternal Flame
09 You Are
09 It's OK
09 The Tide Is High
10 The Last Goodbye
10 Be With You
09 Love Doesn't Have To Hurt