Awards Season 22/23

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
As requested by lady @funky

Early to say but I think Brendan Frazier is a lock for best actor. Colin Farell in the Banshees of Inisherin also got a lot of praise.

The Son (the follow up to The Father) is the first casualty of the season. It got terrible reviews.

Last edited:
For actress, The Woman King was good so another Viola nomination is possible. Michelle Yeoh, Cate and Michelle Williams all seem likely.

And Jessica Chastain’s And Eddie Redmayne’s movie also got positive buzz.

As requested by lady @funky

Early to say but I think Brendan Frazier is a lock for best actor. Colin Firth in the Banshees of Inisherin also got a lot of praise.

The Son (the follow up to The Father) is the first casualty of the season. It got terrible reviews.
Farrell :david:

I’m going to have to see that bloody Avatar sequel because it’s bound to be up for technicals :(

I have my BFI LFF tickets all sorted:

The Fabelmans won the audience award at TIFF with Women Talking as runner up. I think Fabelmans has a very high chance of a best pic win.

I saw Aftersun last weekend and loved it. I don't think it's going to get much awards buzz though, as it's quite a quirky thing.

My TIFF movies

AE40F0BB-D415-451B-B3FB-0F36DB881CCA.jpeg

had no idea there was a new Park chan-wook out. Decision to Leave looks fucking great as per.

How was L'Origine du Mal @Phoenix ? I'm watching that in a couple of weeks and as a Laure Calamy LOON I'm expecting GOOD THINGS pls.

Oh and while you're at it, Le Caftan Bleu? I'm also watching that.

Lovely, it’s not exactly a groundbreaking story but the lead actress does a very physical performance that I just loved.

I have to say Women Talking I was dreading thinking it would be preachy and a bit dreary but it’s so well balanced and then we got to hear Sarah Poley talk about it and she’s just an icon.

I love Sarah Polley! She came to my Uni to introduce My life without me with the director and she was lovely. She also chooses her films well, both acting and directing. Top woman.

Lovely, it’s not exactly a groundbreaking story but the lead actress does a very physical performance that I just loved.

I saw this yesterday and I really loved it. The pace is a bit slow and the story isn't particularly groundbreaking although perhaps the fact that it's a female Moroccan director makes it so. It was EXQUISITELY SHOT though and some of the INTENSITY in the last half of the film was too much for my little gay heart.

I watched Triangle of Sadness the other day (the palm d’or winner) and it’s very entertaining. Nothing subtle about it and it’s very heavy handed but a crowd pleaser. I think it’s a lock for best international film.

I watched Triangle of Sadness the other day (the palm d’or winner) and it’s very entertaining. Nothing subtle about it and it’s very heavy handed but a crowd pleaser. I think it’s a lock for best international film.
I wasn’t that enamoured at all :(

Quick update...

Spielberg's The Fablemans is the current hot favourite - yet another movie about making movies and it's Spielberg so you know it's going to have momentum.

Banshees Of Insherin is also getting major critics love but it might be a little too niche to pick up the big ones. It'll do well in the male acting categories.

Everything Everywhere still very much in the mix but seems to be playing second fiddle at the moment in all categories - even in Michelle's category :( where Cate Blanchette is making a lot of noise in TÁR

The other big names being thrown around are Women Talking, She Said, Elvis, Glass Onion and Empire Of Light.

Acting favourites:

BEST ACTOR
Colin Farrell, Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Austin Butler, Elvis
Gabriel Labelle, The Fabelmans
Bill Nighy, Living

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, TAR
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
Danielle Deadwyler, Till
Viola Davis, The Woman King

what about Decision to Leave?

Maybe foreign film but it doesn’t have the same appeal as something like Parasite. It’s very muted, it’s pretty but I nodded off several times.

I suspect TAR is going to prove a bit too niche to go all the way for Cate. The Academy have tended towards more crowd-pleasing performances in recent years, and that film is squarely in the arthouse genre.

I think Banshees is going to do very, very well across the board.

I suspect TAR is going to prove a bit too niche to go all the way for Cate. The Academy have tended towards more crowd-pleasing performances in recent years, and that film is squarely in the arthouse genre.

I think Banshees is going to do very, very well across the board.
I don’t. Never ever back a “critics favourite” unless it’s a massive audience pleaser too. Maybe Nomadland was a bit of an exception.

Brendan Gleason might get some momentum, but for Lead it’s definitely a two horse race between Fraser and Butler with Fraser edging it out. Having seen The Whale, it’s really undeniable for him. Nighy only has a shot at the BAFTA.

I think Banshees is an extremely people pleasing movie. I haven’t checked the box office but I assume it’s doing pretty good for an indie movie.

It’ll be a popular screener once it gets to awards time.

I think Banshees is an extremely people pleasing movie. I haven’t checked the box office but I assume it’s doing pretty good for an indie movie.

It’ll be a popular screener once it gets to awards time.
I thought it was utter tosh to be frank and pales in comparison to McDonagh’s previous films. Only saved by Colin Farrell’s natural charm.

I hope it's still time for "All Quiet on the Western Front" to sneak in somewhere. Saw it at the cinema and it was an intense, immersive and devastating experience which is saying something after the amounts of war and anti-war films we've had over the years.

Ideally it should get into in best movie and with 10 in that category it just might. Best foreign might be more likely though.

The accursed Golden Globes are back. Here are the nominees.

Best Motion Picture, Drama

“Avatar: The Way of Water” (20th Century Studios)
“Elvis” (Warner Bros.)
“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures)
“Tár” (Focus Features)
“Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures)

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy

“Babylon” (Paramount Pictures)
“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures)
“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24)
“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” (Netflix)
“Triangle of Sadness” (Neon)

Best Director, Motion Picture

James Cameron (“Avatar: The Way of Water”)
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Baz Luhrmann (“Elvis”)
Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama

Austin Butler (“Elvis”)
Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”)
Hugh Jackman (“The Son”)
Bill Nighy (“Living”)
Jeremy Pope (“The Inspection”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Diego Calva (“Babylon”)
Daniel Craig (“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”)
Adam Driver (“White Noise”)
Colin Farrell (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Ralph Fiennes (“The Menu”)

Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture

Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Brad Pitt (“Babylon”)
Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Eddie Redmayne (“The Good Nurse”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama

Cate Blanchett (“Tár”)
Olivia Colman (“Empire of Light”)
Viola Davis (“The Woman King”)
Ana de Armas (“Blonde”)
Michelle Williams (“The Fabelmans”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Lesley Manville (“Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris”)
Margot Robbie (“Babylon”)
Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Menu”)
Emma Thompson (“Good Luck to You, Leo Grande”)
Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Supporting Actress, Motion Picture

Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”)
Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Dolly De Leon (“Triangle of Sadness”
Carey Mulligan (“She Said”)

Best Picture, Foreign Language

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
(GERMANY) (Netflix)
ARGENTINA, 1985 (ARGENTINA) (Amazon Prime Video)
CLOSE (BELGIUM / FRANCE / NETHERLANDS) (A24)
DECISION TO LEAVE (SOUTH KOREA) (MUBI)
RRR (INDIA) (Variance Films)

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture

TODD FIELD
TÁR
DANIEL KWAN, DANIEL SCHEINERT EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
MARTIN MCDONAGH THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
SARAH POLLEY WOMEN TALKING
STEVEN SPIELBERG, TONY KUSHNER THE FABELMANS

Best Original Song, Motion Picture

“Carolina” from “Where the Crawdads Sing” (Sony Pictures) — Taylor Swift
“Ciao Papa” from “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix) — Roeben Katz, Guillermo del Toro
“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures) — Lady Gaga, BloodPop
“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” (Marvel Studios) — Tems, Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler
“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR” (Variance Films) — Kala Bhairava, M. M. Keeravani, Rahul Sipligunj

Best Original Score, Motion Picture

CARTER BURWELL
THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
ALEXANDRE DESPLAT GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO
HILDUR GUÐNADÓTTIR WOMEN TALKING
JUSTIN HURWITZ BABYLON
JOHN WILLIAMS THE FABELMANS

Best Motion Picture, Animated

GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO
(Netflix)
INU-OH (GKIDS)
MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON (A24)
PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH (Universal Pictures
TURNING RED (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)

Yeah it’s been screening for like 10 days

The Supporting Actress category is ridiculous. Hong Chau not being nominated for The Whale is ridiculous. And if Carey Mulligan is supporting for She Said then WHO THE HELL IS THE LEAD?

Angela Bassett? I know she’s under appreciated in general, but not for bloody Black Panther.

I also wasn’t aware that The Banshees of Inisherin was a Comedy?? HOW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom