Bananarama - Feel The Love & Glorious: The Ultimate Collection

Great evening! Loads of setlist surprises which I’ll throw in another post. Proper Greatest Hits set with a concentration on the duo stuff, yes, but fairly thorough.

But ruined slightly by coming on late- only 15 minutes or so but meant I had to miss the end when I’d specifically checked to see whether it would all work out. Annoying.

…any of this lot:

Only Your Love (to an amazing reception)
A Trick Of The Night
Love Truth and Honesty
I Want You Back
Atomic (cover version)

Also off the top of my head and in no real order, we got:

I Heard A Rumour (opener)
Last Thing On My Mind (with awful vocals :D )
Movin’ On
Cruel Summer
Supernova
Preacher Man
Move In My Direction
Forever Young
Looking For Someone
Masquerade
Favourite (with Alice)
Nathan Jones
Stuff Like That
Really Saying Something
Love Don’t Live Here
Feel The Love (the last song before I had to leg it)

Lots of the Pop Life songs felt like they were together- maybe they’re going to pull Jacqui out tomorrow.

Or maybe not :D

That leans slightly more on the post 80s material than I expected from bigger shows like these, Glorious tracklisting notwithstanding.

One song in particular I am very pleased is getting an outing. I anticipate some brave vocals on that cover.

That leans slightly more on the post 80s material than I expected from bigger shows like these, Glorious tracklisting notwithstanding.

One song in particular I am very pleased is getting an outing. I anticipate some brave vocals on that cover.

Yeah, but remember we hadn’t gotten to the encore or perhaps even the final song, which presumably will include at least be a few of the 80s big hitters…

I did see a tweet which referenced Ain't No Cure and got quite excited, before realising it was just the warm up DJ playing it :D

There were a couple of very shonky vocals on the cover but just a bit croaky. The one I highlighted as being awful they did solo, verse each. Keren just about managed, Sara was genuinely appalling.

I did see a tweet which referenced Ain't No Cure and got quite excited, before realising it was just the warm up DJ playing it :D

Oh I didn’t hear that, was outside at the bar until show time…but yeah, that’s just wishful thinking.

There was also a pre recorded verse or two of
Lost In Music
which was whilst they went offstage for about two minutes but for no noticeable reason :D

I need the full setlist now. I really do hope it was just the USUAL SUSPECTS at the end and I didn’t miss anything life changing. I’d have DIED if I’d found out they’d done the aforementioned THAT as an encore.

There were a couple of very shonky vocals on the cover but just a bit croaky. The one I highlighted as being awful they did solo, verse each. Keren just about managed, Sara was genuinely appalling.

Oh dear. Unison vocals ALWAYS

At least live they do generally stick to singing together for the most part.

I need the full setlist now. I really do hope it was just the USUAL SUSPECTS at the end and I didn’t miss anything life changing. I’d have DIED if I’d found out they’d done the aforementioned THAT as an encore.

Were songs medleyed up as suggested?

Were songs medleyed up as suggested?

Not as much as that suggests. They ran into each other or were separated by a drumstick beat or two but were mostly full songs. There was an occasional verse missing but that’s super misleading. It basically was “stop for water/ a chat” at the end of each “medley” as they’re listed.

#13 would be interesting but I can cope without the rest really.

Last edited:
Not as much as that suggests. They ran into each other or were separated by a drumstick beat or two but were mostly full songs. There was an occasional verse missing but that’s super misleading. It basically was “stop for water/ a chat” at the end of each medley.

#13 would be interesting but I can cope without the rest really.

That's good, I thought it would run a little short otherwise.

Actually I can, off the top of my head, only think of one song that was properly truncated by losing a verse…

I couldn't help but look at the setlist, and i'm very pleased and looking forward to tomorrow :disco:

It’s pretty much a GREAT gig for a casual fan who looks past their 80s stuff.

Probably my second favourite Nana gig after the Reunion Tour gigs, but that was obviously a different level of magic for obvious reasons.

Sounds like a GRAND night. As someone who likes all three incarnations of Bananarama I’d be more than happy with that set list.

Yes, first night is often the best time to see them in terms of song volume. I saw the first night of the reunion tour and a few songs were cut by night two.

Sounds like a GRAND night. As someone who likes all three incarnations of Bananarama I’d be more than happy with that set list.

Yes, first night is often the best time to see them in terms of song volume. I saw the first night of the reunion tour and a few songs were cut by night two.

Yes that tour is what I was thinking of, as well as the cover of Summer Night City getting a lone performance in the first In Stereo show. Not always that way though.

Really really enjoyed it last night, I hadn't been to their gigs before so although I knew it was a GH set, I was just so so pleased and sentimental that they included
Movin' On, Look on the Floor and Move in My Direction

They both looked great, but my god Keren is STUNNING in the flesh, we had front row in the centre of Grand circle so was great to get a proper Birdseye view of everything. They had so much energy too - sitting on stalls once before the encore. I thought they might have a few dancers for shows of this size too, more testament its just them two for the whole time. The stage lighting was very good :disco:

I think they phased dancers out around the time they started using a live band. Budget for one or the other, or a conscious change in presentation maybe...

They've definitely established themselves much more as a live act in the last decade, admittedly primarily for festivals.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow, despite somehow hurting my back getting out of the shower this morning.

I think they phased dancers out around the time they started using a live band. Budget for one or the other, or a conscious change in presentation maybe...

They've definitely established themselves much more as a live act in the last decade, admittedly primarily for festivals.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow, despite somehow hurting my back getting out of the shower this morning.
Have a good night and full review please!

Loved the show last night. Fifth row in stalls, right over on Sara's side, so had a good view. Had a quite miserable looking straight couple on one side but happily two spare seats next to me so plenty of room.

Keren was on tremendous form, she really does give it some. I always enjoy Sara's camp little asides and she was having a great time too. They didn't have the stools out last night which they complained about.

Only Your Love was every bit as good as I hoped. I thought it worked so well live. Preacher Man is totally a 10/10 track but following Only Your Love live it didn't hit quite as hard. Mind you, Keren complained that Only Your Love was exhausting to perform live so not banking on it becoming a staple.

I really liked the more danced up Love, Truth and Honesty mix. It isn't my favourite but Nathan Jones went down a treat with the crowd. Atomic worked pretty well and acting as a lead in to Supernova's Blondie-inspired intro was a cute touch. Supernova seemed to go a little harder live than in the studio version, very good too.

I found it interesting which ones of the newer material worked best with the audience. I love Masquerade but it seemed to lose a lot of the crowd and I don't think they find it the easiest to sing. The likes of Looking For Someone and Forever Young went down much better.

I agree that the little bit of Lost In Music was quite random, and I am not exactly crying out for the release of a full cover. If they were doing Stuff Like That they could have given us a spot of I Can't Help It in the medley.

Loved the disco capes for the encore. The Spin Me section into Venus was a nice nod.

Why do they think Only Your Love is so hard to do live? I know the chorus is RELENTLESS, but surely pre-records can take care of lots of that.

I hope they're loving how good the response to it has been.

They've reposted in their stories today someone saying they should release Summer Night City, so guess that may be happening.

Off the shelf, and not the top one either. I still think it would have been worth their while taking it.

They’ve always been fairly CANNY, you can’t deny them that. They were never going to give up a lucrative songwriting credit to someone else for something that they didn’t feel was top notch.

Would that have been offset by the publicity and resulting few extra sales to the PSB fanbase though?
I’d say it would have been pretty ineffectual in the mid 00s, maybe a decade or so before. Surprised they didn’t take it and add in a verse themselves though.

Off topic but was it ‘Heart’ PSB wrote with Hazell Dean in mind but kept it for themselves in the end? Poor Haze never got over it.

Would that have been offset by the publicity and resulting few extra sales to the PSB fanbase though?

Fair point, but Viva was expected to do more than it did, I think. They probably didn’t think they “needed” that.

I’d say it would have been pretty ineffectual in the mid 00s, maybe a decade or so before. Surprised they didn’t take it and add in a verse themselves though.

Off topic but was it ‘Heart’ PSB wrote with Hazell Dean in mind but kept it for themselves in the end? Poor Haze never got over it.

Written with Madonna in mind but they were too scared to give it to her. Then they thought Hazell, but ultimately decided to keep it. Hazell was in the dumper at the time and hadn’t had a hit in years, so I can’t imagine they ever would have gone through with it.

Written with Madonna in mind but they were too scared to give it to her. Then they thought Hazell, but ultimately decided to keep it. Hazell was in the dumper at the time and hadn’t had a hit in years, so I can’t imagine they ever would have gone through with it.
Ah yes, I remember it now you’ve mentioned Madonna. I’ve seen Hazell harping on about how it’s her “lost” song though.

Ah yes, I remember it now you’ve mentioned Madonna. I’ve seen Hazell harping on about how it’s her “lost” song though.

Of course she did! She’s hardly known for her subtlety. Have you seen her live? She mentions the chart positions before every song, conveniently ignoring anything that flopped in the UK and telling everyone it was “massive in South Africa” or the suchlike.

They mentioned it in an interview and suddenly it was stolen from her :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom