Bananarama - Masquerade (New Album 22nd July)

I suspect the pre-orders on 1000 copies of the Masquerade deluxe vinyl may not be flooding in by the regular reminders on their Instagram.

From the clips the remixes all sound like they 'go off' in the fashion you would hope and expect (Velvet Lies maybe a bit less so):

https://bananarama.tmstor.es/

The wording of vinyl exclusive full length mixes suggested there would be edits available for streaming and here we are

Must’ve secured enough vinyl preorders before agreeing to this!

They have certainly been pushing the exclusive vinyl on their social media enough. I bet they still end up selling some off cheap later.

I did wonder whether the digital remixes would follow a little later.

I think Running With the Night and Favourite are probably still the best mixes but all enjoyable. Maybe Stay Wild is the best of the new ones.

Crediting the remixers by name does somewhat undermine the smoke and mirrors of these 'different' remix outfits :D

Up to something:

Looks like a trip down memory lane. Possiby related to the second 40th anniversary album they teased?

Something is coming tomorrow:

It is still the Masquerade logo for what it is worth.

It actually isn't the same logo- the fonts looks similar, but it's less swirly...

OOH, much excite though! I could do with some new NANA. Masquerade is still very high up my regular rotation playlist.

I thought there was some sort of Cruel Summer anniversary thing upcoming?

Yes, Masquerade was much stronger than I’d hoped for and with a longer shelf life than expected chez moi.

It actually isn't the same logo- the fonts looks similar, but it's less swirly...

OOH, much excite though! I could do with some new NANA. Masquerade is still very high up my regular rotation playlist.

So it isn't... :D

Yes they've been marking the anniversary of it recently but I hope it isn't yet another Cruel Summer redo!

Saying that, I would be surprised if they had an album or an EP's worth of new material already, so it is more likely to be a revisit I guess.

I just came in here to post that I think it's probably going to be something to do with Cruel Summer '23. That one synth note sounds like the ADMITTEDLY FABULOUS Exotica version.

So it isn't... :D

Yes they've been marking the anniversary of it recently but I hope it isn't yet another Cruel Summer redo!

Saying that, I would be surprised if they had an album or an EP's worth of new material already, so it is more likely to be a revisit I guess.

Didn't they effectively say they were going to release a couple of albums last year, though, the second of which never materialised? Or was another album- I'm LOST!

Didn't they effectively say they were going to release a couple of albums last year, though, the second of which never materialised? Or was another album- I'm LOST!

Yes I think Keren pretty much said there was another album (and Sara told her off). I would think the second album would be more likely to be a GH/remakes thing than a proper new album. I can't imagine they were THAT productive over lockdown and it would tie in with the 40th.

At least it doesn't sound acoustic, they threatened that at least once!

For the LOVE OF GOD can you imagine. It could be a whole series:

Bananarama- The Abbey Road Sessions
Bananarama- Big Band, Big Fun

ETC

As suspected. It’s quite good to be honest, but then with the source material, it’s hard to make a sow’s purse out of silk.

I realise it’s a 3AM mix, but it threatens to go off a couple of times and doesn’t quite, which is a bit frustrating- would be nice if they had another couple of banging mixes on the go. Very glad they’ve reused the “In the city in the summertime” bit, but they could have gone the whole hog and thrown in the “who can I find when I’m trapped…” lyric from the ‘89 version for a laugh.

I’m guessing this is standalone then, rather than anything preceding a new album.

All in all, quite nice, won’t set the world alight and won’t replace the Exotica mix as my favourite alternative version.

Yes that is very decent, though as you say the source material is very strong. I like the instrumental bit post-second chorus into the additional vocal line.

Based on the social media updates this morning there is nothing to suggest this is the lead of an album of remakes. Maybe whatever the second album was has been abandoned...

Are they likely to be touring next year? I would love to see them live in a fairly intimate setting. I saw them back in 2005 for Big Gay Out, and of course, don't really remember it apart from them doing Move in My Direction :D I know they are at festivals all over the place, but just seem to have missed them!

Are they likely to be touring next year? I would love to see them live in a fairly intimate setting. I saw them back in 2005 for Big Gay Out, and of course, don't really remember it apart from them doing Move in My Direction :D I know they are at festivals all over the place, but just seem to have missed them!

I don't know but they don't really seem to tour. Since the Siobhan shows it has just been festivals I think (and the album launches).

They tour the festival circuit all the time, but apart from album launch shows, their last proper tour was when they reunited with Siobhan.

Omg I was there. They were fabulous. You don't remember all the gays shouting to Keren that her tits were falling out? It was hilariously undignified :disco:

I’ve only seen them on the trio tour in 2017. They were very good, it was opening night so I’m sure they were trying to be as professional as possible on the whole. My highlight was Keren attempting a high kick and ending up almost staggering of the side of the stage as a result.

Siobhan and Sara have slightly differing accounts of what they wrote the song about. Sara’s is they were all stuck in their roasting flat all summer working and writing while all their friends were on holidays, Siobhan’s is the same take but claims Sara and Keren were two of the holidaymakers whilst she got left behind.

Last edited:
I ALWAYS loved that song though, it's such an amazing song (is it a cover or an original?) and this remix just proves that a good song is a good song and can be transformed into many different versions and take on new life. They've modernised it but it still has that moody humid feel to it.

BANANARAMA SONG OF THE SUMMER

Is it a cover?
IS IT A COVER?

Are you MAD?
Are you DEAD?

BANANARAMA WRITE ALL THEIR OWN SONGS. Including the covers where they usually write an extra verse consisting mostly of OOHs and AAHs so they get half the publishing, but STILL. :disco:

A remix of the original rather than a re-record this time. Interested to see where this leads.

I swear their tweet originally said something about the '40th' anniversary and more surprises but it says the same as the above from IG now.

I swear their tweet originally said something about the '40th' anniversary and more surprises but it says the same as the above from IG now.

The email I got asking me to pre- save said about the 40th anniversary and more surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom